ENT000

ENT000

A Chapter by Fin
"

Clayton Jazer finds a CD on the road and he unleashes an uncertain curiosity when he listens.

"

It’s late when Dr. Clayton Jazer finally heads back to home from a long day in the laboratory.  Back to his wife, back to his house.  Normally,  Clayton wouldn’t have a problem with returning to his wife and back to his house.  But tonight was one of those rare nights that he missed when he would go back to his empty apartment and get ready for a night out because the night was still young in his eyes. 

When the night would finally grow old, and start to turn to day Clayton would bring back a lovely girl to his apartment.  He’d get up and go to work the next morning, then come home again.  Not worrying that the girl would have waited for him to come back.  His lifestyle in those days was unpredictable, the only thing that was certain is that he would return to his apartment, not his house.  And to an empty one, not one with a wife already in it.

It’s not that Clayton did not love his house and his wife, he did very dearly and he knew that he needed to settle down.  He was reminded every time he would look at the calendar and see it creep closer to   his 35th birthday. 

Most nights he would think that he couldn’t have gotten a life any better.  He was the head doctor working at a laboratory that was working on discovering new medicines for cancer.  His house was the best in the neighborhood, and his wife was the best thing that ever happened to him.  She had made him almost want to settle down.  She was spontaneous and could meet all his needs.  She was always there for him, it was a woman that any man would dream of.  Some days he thought his wife was the only thing that ever kept him together. 

But nights like these, he missed it.  It was a long day of research that wasn’t very productive.  It felt like a waste of a day to Clayton and days like this he would be sure to have made it productive at night on his own time.  But now life is different, and to make this night productive he’ll go home and have a glass of wine and talk to Eva Jazer if she is still up.

As he’s stopped at a stop light, his lights reflect on a CD on the ground.  Normally, he would have just left it alone, but he couldn’t stop staring at the CD.  He couldn’t understand why somebody would throw a CD onto the ground.  Maybe it was so bad they needed to get rid of it right then? Maybe a kid was playing with it and it fell out?  Or maybe somebody was walking and it fell out of their bag?  Whatever the reason was, the CD was now on the ground and Clayton Jazer was curious.  Maybe because it was so late, or maybe because he was simply bored with his life at that moment, but for whatever reason Clayton got out of his car and went to retrieve the CD. 

Once in his hands he examined the CD which has “ENT013” written on the front with a red marker.  Probably a band name, Clayton thought.  A car honk from the car behind him broke him from the CD.  He looked at the car and waved then proceeded to get back into his car.  He decided to put the CD in, since home was still another 20 minutes away.

“Today is the start of my voice log for my new work on ENT013,” says a ladies voice that Clayton is automatically drawn to.  He doesn’t know what it is, but all he knows that whoever is behind that voice is damn sexy.  “The date is December 1, 1960.” Or was damn sexy.  Today, she’d be an old lady practically.  How was this on a CD anyway?  Didn’t they only use tapes to record voices?  Somebody probably transferred it to a CD for safer keeping. 

“It’s the turn of a decade and now that I have finally turned 26, I am at legal age to work on my own side projects at Quark Laboratory.”   Quark Laboratory.  It didn’t sound familiar, but maybe it wasn’t in Seattle, or maybe it shut down.  “So I have decided to take on the task that 12 others had failed before me and try to produce a proper working ENT.  The boss has advised me against this, but screw him.  He’s a sexist pig and thinks a woman shouldn’t be allowed to do her own research.  But my father quickly changed his mind.  Sometimes, I think I’m the luckiest woman on the planet to have my father, the owner of the laboratory. “

“But anyway, my father knows how much I have researched past attempts at ENTS.  He knows I’m prepared for this.  His only rules are I’m not allowed to use myself has a testing subject.  He says we have lab rats for that. So I have decided to follow his rules, of course because this is a chance of a life time.  If I’m able to accomplish this, think how I could change the world?  Think how I could change society?  It’d be amazing.  More importantly it would be my dream come true.”

Clayton is almost home now, but he wants to hear more of this unknown girl.  She has yet to say her name.  The only thing he knows is that her last name is probably Quark if her dad owns the lab she is working at.  But Clayton is drawn to this girl, her motivation, and her power.  She would have made the perfect lab partner for Clayton. 

He pulls into his driveway and ejects the CD from the car.  With it in hand, he enters his house and his wife calls out, “Hi honey! Long day?”

“Extremely,”  Clayton said wryly.

“Did any hard work come out of it?” She asked.  Eva was sitting in the love seat in the living room with her glasses on, doing some work related things.

“No, not really.  It was really frustrating really.  I swear, everybody they gave me to work with are like interns.  In fact, sometimes I think the interns know more than the actual interns,”  Clayton complained.

“I’m sorry,”  she said with sympathy.

Clayton just put his hands on his forehead for a few seconds, he then put his hand down, “Anyway, how was your day?  You’re on call tonight, aren’t you?”  Eva Jazer was a doctor.  When Clayton finally got it into his mind that he had to settle, he knew it had to be somebody hard working.  It had to be somebody who kept just as busy as he.  Eva was almost the perfect fit.  She was an extraordinary trauma surgeon at the Green Point hospital.  She also worked long hours, so Clayton never had to worry about her being lonely at the house when he was at the lab.

“Fine, mostly paperwork today.  New interns are coming in, new residents need to be chosen.  You know me! Always making sure everything fits!”  She said happily.  That was another thing Clayton loved about his wife, she was always able to stay chipper about everything.   Very rarely did she ever let a hard day affect the way she acted towards Clayton.  Clayton wished he could say the same.   “And yes, I am on call.”  Clayton’s face turned into disappointment.  “What’s the matter, doctor?”  she said in a very sexy doctor, “Is there some trauma I need to care of at the house?”

Clayton started to rise from his seat and over to Eva who was sitting in the love chair across from his, “Well as a matter a fact, I think my body is in need of some attention.”

Eva smiled very sexily, “What seems to be wrong with it?”

“Well, every time I go like this-“  he kisses Eva on the nose, “My heart seems to start beating faster!  But then if I do this-“  he kisses her on the lips, “It beats even faster! Please help doctor! Am I going to die!?” 

“No, I think you’re going to be just fine, more than fine actually.  But just to be sure, let me check out the problem further,”  Eva said playfully.  She then gave Clayton a very long kiss on the lips, then started to move down to his neck and began to take his shirt off.

“Oh doctor, I don’t know if I’m comfortable with my body enough for a beautiful woman like you to see it,”  Clayton tells her as Eva looks up and smirks at him and continues to move her lips down his chest.  But just then, her pager starts to go off.  She grabs it from the coffee table and looks at it, then sighs.  “I’m sorry, I have to take this, Clayton.  It’s a 911.”

“It’s okay,”  he kisses her, “You go out there and save some lives for me.”

Eva kisses him back, “Thanks dear.”  She winks at him and then leaves the house in a hurry.  Clayton puts his shirt back on and walks back to the table where he set the CD when he first walked in.  He decided to take it to his study where he had a CD player for work related things.  He had nothing better to do this evening now that Eva had left for the night. 

”Oh, I’m rambling.  I’m new to this whole thing, I’m not really sure how to make these,”  her hypnotizing voice rang through Clayton’s study, “S**t, that wasn’t very professional either.”  Clayton couldn’t help but chuckle, first time audio logs are always awkward. “Let me start new.  I guess I should begin talking about what ENT is.  ENT stands for Enteral.  Actually, the whole entire name is Enteral Life Supplement.  But everybody calls it ENT.  It’s exactly what the name says it is.  It should provide somebody with Enteral life. But that’s only the start.  If done properly the product should take you to the age you most desire so you can live at the age you want to for…well…forever.” 

                At this point, Clayton is ready to turn it off.  It’s another one of those fools that think they can make the human body go against it’s human nature to die.  Many have tried, and all of them have failed.  Many more of them will try, and they all will fail.  People live to die, it’s just how the circle of life works.  But the next part changes Clayton’s mind.

“I know people are going to think I’m crazy, and I know somebody is probably listening to this now doubting me.  But I know I can do it, I know I’m on to something.  I didn’t spend the last 4 years doing nothing.  I know what I’m up against, I know that most people will expect failure.  But it’s not going to stop me.  The most I can do is try, and if I do that, I’ve done a lot more than most people. So from today on, I, Tori Zinks, pledge to do whatever it takes to make this product work.”  



© 2012 Fin


Author's Note

Fin
Ignore grammar.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

'Ello, and welcome to the Cafe! You're on the new writers list, dear, so I decided to stop by and give you a review and a welcome. I'm always here for our newbies, so if you need a review on a new piece--or a rewrite, or some editing on an old piece, whatever you please!-- don't hesitate to drop me a message. I don't do read requests, but if you message or comment me I'll be here in a flash.

Also, there are two writers on here that I suggest you befriend. Their names are Tate Morgan and David Lewis Paget. If you message them as well--don't send a read request-- they will give you honest critique. They are marvelous writers and I look up to them.

Now, onto your piece. I hope when you say to ignore the grammar you are promising that you are going to go through and edit, because there were grammar and spelling errors. My advice to you is to never say something like this in your author's note again, because, after all, pointing out your errors and giving you feedback is what we reviewers are here for. We might find something that you wouldn't notice going through and editing yourself. I would suggest using the author's note for things such as "Only kind reviews please" or "Tear this piece apart!" or you could explain what was going through your mind as you wrote this piece, or maybe even a preview to your next chapter.

Just some things to think about. Sorry for such a long review, but aye, sometimes that's just what's needed! Personally, I think "Good job" is simply not a sufficient review. I'm subscribing to your book; the story itself was quite nice! Work hard, write with passion, and don't you let me down!

Happy writing, kindest regards, and the best of luck...

Savannah

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 13, 2012
Last Updated on July 13, 2012
Tags: doctor, live forever, fiction, science, medical, eternal, forever, obsession


Author

Fin
Fin

About
I really like to write. I have no clue if I'm good at it, but I love to do it. It makes me happy. more..

Writing