Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Minyonka
"

Standard Disclaimer applies

"

After the explanation was complete, silence engulfed the room. The only sounds came from the birds chirping outside. Even Angelo was speechless after hearing the full story of Crista's attack. He was worse after Hotaru and Vista had spoken of the meeting with Minato, the captain of the Akuma Pirates. Crista was silent, her arms wrapped around herself and her eyes downcast. She looked as though she'd just relived the attack.

 

Vista and Hotaru were both stunned to hear all that had taken place in the past month and a half. They'd asked questions about the Devil Fruits and the ceremonies, and seemed genuinely concerned for Crista's well-being. Marco simply watched them all, waiting for a reaction.

 

"Crista, are you sure you're okay after that?" Hotaru finally asked.

 

"I'm fine. Besides, I'm sure it's nothing compared to your daily lives," Crista answered with a shaky voice.

 

"We're pirates. You're a civilian. There's a difference."

 

"You're pirates, so don't you do the same thing to other villages?" Angelo countered.

 

"Oyaji didn't want us to needlessly harm civilians. Our fights are fair and we certainly don't mug defenseless women in the middle of the night," Vista explained.

 

"Pirates with an honor code. What's next?"

 

"Quit being an a*s, and maybe we'll be nicer to you," Hotaru retorted.

 

"Why are you even here? You've found your commander, so why don't you all leave? Or are you planning on robbing us blind in the middle of the night?"

 

"We're here because any family of Marco's is our family, and we take care of our own."

 

"Are you saying I don't?"

 

"Well, if the boot fits."

 

"Hotaru," Marco reprimanded. "That's enough." Hotaru huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. Under normal circumstances, Marco would have laughed at how she looked as she pouted.

 

"We will need to speak with you later, Marco," Vista said, trying to keep the tension low.

 

"Why can't you say it here?" Crista asked.

 

"It's crew business. Nothing personal, Miss."

 

"The sun's setting. You should return to your ship before the rest of the pirates come," Angelo spat.

 

"Basta, Angelo (Enough, Angelo)," Crista hissed.

 

"No! Ti fidi di loro! Perché (No! You trust them! Why)?"

 

"Vista è il fratello di Marco e Hotaru è sua sorella. È la sua sorellina. Perché non capisci (Vista is Marco's brother and Hotaru is his sister. She's his little sister. Why don't you understand)?"

 

"Don't argue," Marco interrupted. "It's not worth it, and I'll be leaving with my crew once everything is settled."

 

Crista's face fell and she nodded slowly. Marco knew it pained her to hear he was leaving, but they both knew it would happen. The best thing he could do was try to prepare her for his departure.

 

"What's there to be settled? I can take care of Crista. I protected her long before you came here, and I can protect her after you leave!" Angelo yelled.

 

"It'll give me peace of mind."

 

"Marco, why don't you escort Vista and Hotaru back to the beach? I'm sure they'd rather speak of their private matters as soon as possible," Crista suggested. Marco noticed the annoyance on her face, likely directed towards Angelo, but nodded anyway.

 

"I'll be back soon," he said and stood to leave with his newfound nakama.

 

"Ah, Hotaru, may I ask you something before you go?"

 

"You can ask," the black-haired woman answered. The I may not answer was left implied.

 

"You have four earrings in your left ear, but none in your right. Why is that?" Crista asked. Marco looked at Hotaru's ear and realized he'd overlooked the four small, golden hoops that pierced the cartilage. Hotaru gave a wry smile.

 

"One for every person near my heart that I've lost," she answered. "I'm glad I didn't need to get a fifth for Marco."

 

With that, the pirates left the house and Marco began leading the way back to the beach. Hotaru and Vista remained silent as they walked through the small town. A few people greeted Marco, but most avoided the small group for fear of Vista and Hotaru. It wasn't until they were on the beach that Vista spoke.

 

"Marco, how many people does Crista know by the name of Angelo?" he asked.

 

"One. Why do you ask?"

 

"When I stole the Eternal Pose from the Akuma Pirates, I found letters to Minato. They were all signed by a man named Angelo."

 

"You think he tipped off the Akuma Pirates about Crista's inheritance."

 

"We just don't know why," Hotaru answered. "I mean, what's in it for him?"

 

"Preventing Crista from being stronger?" Vista suggested. "He seems like the dominant kind."

 

"He is, but I don't think that's the only reason. Crista's going to be married soon, so the dominance wouldn't last," Marco explained.

 

"How valuable is her Devil Fruit?"

 

"I'd guess very, considering how rare she made it out to be when she told me about it."

 

"Then maybe he's after the money," Hotaru muttered.

 

"You two positive it's him?"

 

"Is he the only Angelo that knows about her Devil Fruit?"

 

"Why didn't you say anything before?"

 

"Excluding Hotaru's outbursts-" Vista began.

 

"B*****d deserved it!" she defended.

 

"-we didn't want him to think we were accusing him of planning this. We figured he'd hurt her if his plans were jeopardized."

 

"Are you all willing to stay on the island for a couple days?" Marco asked.

 

"If it meant getting you back, I don't think anyone would care if we stayed for months," Hotaru answered with a smile.

 

"I plan to take care of him as soon as possible, but that means keeping up appearances right now."

 

"Then take a Baby Den Den Mushi with you," Vista suggested as he pulled a small snail from inside his black jacket and handed it to Marco. "If you need us between now and tomorrow morning, contact us."

 

"Or transform into the phoenix," Hotaru added jokingly. "You know, whatever the situation calls for." Her cheeky grin faded into a genuine smile as she hugged Marco again. "I'm so happy we found you." Marco rubbed Hotaru's back gently, a smile pulling at his lips. No words could properly describe his joy at finally recovering his family and his memories.

 

"Me too," he murmured.

 

Marco watched as Vista and Hotaru returned to their ship- he vaguely thought that the ship was his as well, as he was also a member of the Whitebeard Pirates. Once he saw a light come from the ship, signaling they had arrived, he turned and walked back to the house he shared with Crista. Strange, he thought, that within a few short days he would no longer be living in that house. As Marco neared the humble home, he took in as many details he could about it.

 

The outer walls were painted white, but the wall on the left side had little blue handprints near the ground. Crista had explained that she'd made those prints when she was only five. Her parents had never painted over them. Despite the age of the house, there weren't any cracks in the paint on the walls.

 

The front threshold was never used unless a visitor was a newcomer or a mere acquaintance of Crista. It was the door to the kitchen, only a few feet from the handprints, that was used most often. Anyone who knew Crista knew she greeted people from the kitchen.

 

There were many windows on the one-story house. Crista loved the sunlight and wanted it to surround her at all times during the day. Marco thought it fitting, as she seemed to glow everywhere she went. The only times storm clouds could be seen around her were when she was worried or angry. Lately, the latter seemed to be occurring most often, courtesy of Angelo. If he was intending to harm Crista, Marco would be sure to kill the b*****d himself.

 

It was through one of these windows that Marco saw Crista thrown against the wall with Angelo's hand at her throat.

 

He called Vista before running inside.



© 2011 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on June 13, 2011
Last Updated on June 13, 2011


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka