Busk - Chapter One

Busk - Chapter One

A Chapter by Dim Gopnik
"

Tina Turner the busking monkey dressed in a sombrero is hiding from a furious main street.

"

Its a simple gimmick: the monkey dances with symbols and Edward plays the guitar. Yes, the monkey is wearing a tiny sombrero Edward stole from a terribly-cliché tequila bottle in the liquor store, and a poncho he fashioned out of a sock. No, Edward is not Mexican. Yes, he's white as snow. Are you asking the narrator these questions? No, and yes. Its a gig that paid well but was met with division. Pro-monkey, and anti-act. To make matters worse: the only song they've learned how to play is La Bamba


            Edward had traded Tina Turner (the monkey) at a pawn shop for an iPad he had stolen on the bus. Since that day onwards they've made quite the controversial duette. Everybody on the street have had dealings with the pair. Theft. Attacks. Abuse. The authorities have become involved in the past. Somehow, every single time, Edward and his monkey always walkaway Scott-free.


This morning Edward and Tina Turner were busking off the corner of High Street when Gino the barber tried to pat Tina Turner. She in turn bit him then gonged him several times with her tiny symbols, and now they were hiding from a gang of angry street merchants, shop keepers, and the rest of High Street peddlers, and idlers.


Edward was considered by most: a terrible-f**k. Dressing Tina Turner the way he had, exploiting her and getting away with it every day. S**t. People wanted his head. When Tina Turner finally went gorilla on that monkey-patting-barber the street was divided on monkey-prosecution. Animal control was a suggestion. The sports store manager wanted to adopt the monkey. There was the BBQ Store who wanted to turn her into jerky. Things got raucous until finally a leader stepped forward. 'Friends, let us not call the authorities on one of our own,' the woman speaking is Georgia, proprietor of the shoe store, 'I will hunt the pair. I will bring them before the council of High Street and they will stand trial the way we have always done it: High Street Court!'


Here, here's were paid in full. Meanwhile Edward and Tina Turner hid among the crowd. Dressed in their get-a-away outfits: woman carrying baby in harness. Tonight they were planning on sleeping in the dumpster they hid said costume, among others.

            'Come on Tina Turner, lets get out of here.'

            Little did they know they were being followed...

 



© 2023 Dim Gopnik


Author's Note

Dim Gopnik
Please let me know what you think of the style, and I would be happy to look over any work you might like me to in return.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I got a Hunter S. Thompson vibe from your writing style. ( We can’t stop here. This is bat country. ) The characterization is interesting. I would like to see more showing than the telling by the narrator telling.

For example, you can describe Georgia from the protagonist’s POV.( Hiding in the crowd, he heard a woman’s voice,) for example.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dim Gopnik

1 Year Ago

Winston, I didn't expect you here. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read all of this. I don't oft.. read more
W. Barrett Munn

1 Year Ago

My background is in children’s literature where you write from a single perspective, which means i.. read more



Reviews

I got a Hunter S. Thompson vibe from your writing style. ( We can’t stop here. This is bat country. ) The characterization is interesting. I would like to see more showing than the telling by the narrator telling.

For example, you can describe Georgia from the protagonist’s POV.( Hiding in the crowd, he heard a woman’s voice,) for example.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dim Gopnik

1 Year Ago

Winston, I didn't expect you here. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read all of this. I don't oft.. read more
W. Barrett Munn

1 Year Ago

My background is in children’s literature where you write from a single perspective, which means i.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
1 Review
Added on January 17, 2023
Last Updated on January 17, 2023
Tags: Fiction, satire, literature, comedy, humour


Author

Dim Gopnik
Dim Gopnik

Australia



Writing
Shapeless Shapeless

A Poem by Dim Gopnik


Busk Busk

A Book by Dim Gopnik