Relief

Relief

A Chapter by Gaard
"

Gratson receives some much needed news.

"

As if that wasn't enough of a wild deviation from the norm. A slight chill drifted through the cell and a whistling sound could be heard as the wind eased its way through the cracks in the mortar of the brick building. A skinny man of about 5'10" stood in the middle of the cell, his arms stretched outward as if he was expecting to levitated upward and begin flight. He was just skin, bone, and hair, his clothes torn from being worn for days on end. Under such circumstances, it was strange that the man would have such a jovial look on his face. Arms stretched like an eagle, and a smile from ear to ear, wearing tattered and ragged clothing, the man would've been a strange sight to have seen in any situation, and if there were anyone else in the cell to take witness of his actions, they would surely think that he had lost his mind from being kept in isolation for so long. Footsteps could be heard climbing stairs outside the cell. The man opened his eyes and slowly put his arms back at his side, the smile stayed fixed on his face as he turned from facing the wall to now facing the wooden door. The door was equipped with a food slot and was just large enough for a single person to pass through at a time. The man waited patiently as he heard a key slip into the keyhole and begin to turn. The door opened inward and a short bearded man made his way into the cell. It was the jail keeper. He gave the cell a look over before turning his attention to the man in the tattered clothes standing in the middle of the room. "I wish I could wipe that smile from your face, luckily it's the last time I'll ever have to see it.", the jail keeper said. "The warden asked me to do the honors today; you know he isn't feeling too well." The jail keeper motioned to the man to move towards the door. "Come on now Mr. Gratson, you've been here for 5 years, I'm sure your ready to leave." The man looked around the cell one last time. Taking note of the bricks, the cobwebs, the uneven floor, the bed, if you can even call it that, and the high ceiling, which he always dreamed of flying through and breaking away. Mr. Gratson had served his sentence and it was now his time to be free once more.



© 2019 Gaard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Short and sweet and to the point. nice flow and imagery were very pleasant. could be longer for my taste but al and al very nice indeed. I hope you more surprises for me in the next chapter to hold my attention now that you have freed the prisoner.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaard

5 Years Ago

Hi Shep,

Thank you for reading and reviewing my story! I do have an overall plan for .. read more



Reviews

Short and sweet and to the point. nice flow and imagery were very pleasant. could be longer for my taste but al and al very nice indeed. I hope you more surprises for me in the next chapter to hold my attention now that you have freed the prisoner.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaard

5 Years Ago

Hi Shep,

Thank you for reading and reviewing my story! I do have an overall plan for .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 30, 2019
Last Updated on January 30, 2019
Tags: adventure, sailing, action, sail, voyage, war, exploration, gratson, british, royal, navy


Author

Gaard
Gaard

CA



Writing
Freedom Freedom

A Chapter by Gaard


A Mysterious Letter A Mysterious Letter

A Chapter by Gaard