Freedom

Freedom

A Chapter by Gaard
"

Gratson makes his way back into the world.

"

John Gratson was a soldier; he had served in the British royal navy and was a loyal supporter of King George the third. He left his home when he was seventeen to serve as a member of a merchant crew, transporting goods from Great Britain to the colonies in the Caribbean. After two long years transporting cargo between continents, war broke out between France and Britain. John enlisted as a member of the royal navy without hesitation. He always felt that if there was anything he could do for his country he would be obligated to help. Gratson knew that in battle defeat was far better than surrender, but in the spring of 1811 the ship aptly named, “The Victory”, that he had been assigned as first mate on was surrounded by French and Spanish ships in the English Channel. The captain of The Victory, seeing that his ship was outnumbered and outgunned, surrendered. Gratson saw no alternate course of action and always defended his captain. If they had fought, they surely would have all been killed. Five long years later the wars were officially over and Gratson along with his other crew members, had been released from the prison where they had been held on charges of high treason. Surrender in the royal navy was not taken lightly. Gratson walked across the yard past the two guards who gave him a piercing stare. He took one last look behind him at the place he’d sadly begun to know as him home and stepped out past the gates.



© 2019 Gaard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

now what's going to do with his freedom is the question? you have me on pins and needles.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 30, 2019
Last Updated on January 30, 2019
Tags: adventure, sailing, action, sail, voyage, war, exploration, gratson, british, royal, navy


Author

Gaard
Gaard

CA



Writing
Relief Relief

A Chapter by Gaard


A Mysterious Letter A Mysterious Letter

A Chapter by Gaard