Concentrate

Concentrate

A Poem by Gabrielle Linch

Distractions taste like temptation,

when your mind is in a knot.

Be still in cogitation,

comprehend the words to every thought.

Listen to the silence;

become one with who you are.

You may think the answer is guidance,

but that lies within the north star. 

© 2015 Gabrielle Linch


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A strong first line and intricate piece. Well written. The last line throws my thoughts off into possibilities x

Posted 8 Years Ago


Like my peers before me, this is a well executed piece. With a beautifully written ideal and with the wordplay to compliment the structure. It is a very balanced piece, with just enough power to leave you wanting to read it again, and a little bit of strength to keep you paused at the end to contemplate its worth when you are done. It's brilliant, and your first line is so rich in execution I want to tattoo it into my next poem. Just the vibrancy of that line alone makes the rest of the read amazing. Of course the flow plays such a crucial part in these kinds of pieces and you structured it very well.

My only critique, and it is more confusion than anything else. Your last line made me stumble as it was, more or less out of place from the rest of the poem. I understand where you are coming from with its placement, being that the North Star guides us home. However, I think that out of all the verses, this should have had the most impact on us being the conclusion. It almost seems you wanted to add more, but didn't know how to rhyme the last two verses and they became rushed to the finish.

I say this, not to infer the ending of this was bad. The ending was understandable and a good finish. I just think that with such a strong beginning, and such a vibrant body should have had a bigger impact at its final conclusion. It may be in the diction, because the flow kind of takes on a little bend towards the end as well and that may play a part on the delivery in this. Again, only something to critique and still should not take away from the fact that this is a very strong poem. Well written.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gabrielle Linch

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I agree with you 100%. Even when posting it I wasn't too .. read more
Andrew Rayne

8 Years Ago

Ah, no worries there. It is as I said not a bad ending at all, and is still a wonderfully written pi.. read more
A manual for writing poetry?
I hate that I am so tough on poetry, but then it makes me feel good when I get to something I like, like this one. There is form and function, each working together in this short thought.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Again I do like your style and work choice and ability to bend concepts and emotions to the written word but I would have said 'Northern Star' or 'bright north star' in terms of meter and flow.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This reminds me at the moment of studying.
I guess this poem describes exactly what I'm tempted to do and what I have to do when I'm doing certain activity, say studying.
I like how this poems encloses the importance of silence. I guess that if everyone could listen to the silence just for a while we would be happier, ¿don't you think?

THUMBS UP for this one (Y) I liked it ver much, specially because of its length.

Greetings,

Fernando

Posted 8 Years Ago


This touches the point of honesty and spells out the truth in a poignant form

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 19, 2015
Last Updated on March 19, 2015

Author

Gabrielle Linch
Gabrielle Linch

About
I am an 18 year old whom enjoys the concept, "The pen is mightier than the sword." more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..