We are Lobsters.

We are Lobsters.

A Story by Dave A. Grindle
"

A short exposition that every capable mind on the planet can digest, and find truth in. This story stands as a way to place the entire bulk of human life and cirumstance into a standard breakdown.

"

We are lobsters, seven billion of us nearly, milling around in a massive tank. Our tank is in the fourth auxiliary galley, near the boiler room. The galley is on the fifth lowest of twenty decks, each boasting hundreds of sizable compartments. These spaces are individually constructed, made by an endless force of hands working in harmony in pursuit of marvel. What does a lobster know of rivets, of upholstery, of housekeeping and travel for luxury? What could a lobster hope to gain in being told of metallurgy, if taught? Of the strength of steel and iron smote from the living earth and hove into plate and girder and keel? That men and women have existed in the hundreds of billions, successive generations springing up across one hundred and ninety six million square miles of earth? That they themselves sought nourishment from their environment, furthered their species, contested often unto death for resources and rights? A lobster could do nothing with knowing that among these human billions, so scattered and coalesced across the worldscape, bore for eons a continuing stream of articulate, curious, and ambitious presence in certain places at certain times, that they in hundreds could now become millions. The cosmically vast ship may as well have been steaming for a trillion lobster lifetimes. Thirty one to fifty four solar rotations is a respectable amount of time to experience life, but we will never know the truth of the first lobster. What does a lobster know of their thousandth ancestor, of their fearsome bulk and the heightened dangers of their respective world? Men and women are those who vie with ores, with metal and machines to forge the titanic pistons, the fueling systems and hydraulic controls that power and steer the ship. Lobsters could never fathom the meaning of the crafted art and beautification of its sprawling ballrooms , its teeming lower caste quarters and the difference in the daily livings of their human occupants. Most likely a lobster would only sit in its tank, making a space for itself and those it might become attached to, claws banded, breathing and moving from time to time. A lobster would do so, no matter its years, its collected experience of months or decades, along with the lobster billions. Lobsters can only know their respective tank, and speculate on what lies in the space beyond what over which they can scuttle and rest upon. 

Lobsters enter and leave the tank at random, taken from their familiar universe and placed in this new one, until becomes life. Leaving to serve their ultimate purpose, so happening for lobsters to be the end of their physical life. What can a lobster have ever observed in the passing both in nature and on human range of their fellow lobsters that could ever tell them where the mind and conscious of the forgone lobster has gone? 

When the tank is shaken, its great bulk shifted or thrown, and the lobsters within begin to tumble and scurry, do they know why the world has been rocked? Can they ever ever fathom the massive impact of hardened ice into cast metal, the terror and haste of thousands of lives to avoid paralyzing cold, of choking for air? A lobster may be surprised by the torrents of familiar sea, by the crashing of pots and the screams of wait staff in the rapid destruction of the ship's frame. They may, by chance, be left with miles or kilometers in broken deck, collapsed compartments and fallen human remnants between their shattered tank and open ocean floor. Wat would lobsters know of the lifeboats two and a half miles above, terrified humans huddled and freezing, dying and surviving? Would a lobster do anything more than begin to move outward, through endless mazes of twisted iron and the blackness of wreckage standing a pinhead of the mass of their former world, and an eternity in comparison to their latest. Lobsters, free of the purpose they were gathered and corralled for, will make their way into their new world with restricted claws, sustaining themselves on what resources are offered as they move unwittingly toward the next generation. Like humans, the next generation would be born without banded claws, and would feed and reproduce and migrate as much as they can in their years of life. Some lobsters of course will also choose to stay, to reproduce and grow in number in the myriad surviving spaces inside the ship wreckage. Lobsters will live within and without the new worlds, and will contend with one another as individuals and communities over the resources they need to live.

Live they will. I ask you. What lobster will know of why this is? Which lobster, even with all their experience before and after their life in the tank, could tell of the levels beyond their own, of the nature of the ship, and the life that lay beyond? What do those lobsters know of the life on land? Of the multitude of biomes across nearly two hundred million square miles of space? The answer is simple: They do not. They know nothing. This is good. A lobster could never hope to fathom, even in a hundred generations of articulate, curious, ambitious lobsters, the truth behind the first lobster, let alone the keel of the ship. Nor the birth of the ocean, the forming of the land, the conglomeration of mass over a trillion eons into solidity in space. This is no reason to worry, as lobsters, never having hope to know these, can just be lobsters. They can scuttle, fight, eat, birth, wander, and die. They can achieve this in every moment of the years they have in the sea. It is all the lobsters will do, and in their own ways may very well enjoy and fear it, the way humans do. With the exception of those who survived that cataclysm, and any like it, no lobster knows a tank, knows a capsizing nor a sinking. They know nothing of screams, of bursting walls and rumbling machinery collapsing into boilers and closets and piping and wooden planks. They will know only of what the see, feel, taste and smell. Of the endless succession of nature and memory, until they pass away. Pass away into what, lobsters nor humans can know. 

This is good.

© 2016 Dave A. Grindle


Author's Note

Dave A. Grindle
The transferal from Kingsoft to the page does not seem asthetically pleasing to me. I hope it doesn't ruin it for you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
Added on October 18, 2016
Last Updated on October 18, 2016
Tags: humanity, people, politics, religion, discussion, progress, elections, government, culture, art, creative

Author

Dave A. Grindle
Dave A. Grindle

Jacksonville, FL



About
I began as a creative solutions engineer, and quickly realized that I had the keys to construct a network that could feed, house and support every human being on the planet. I will save the world. more..

Writing