Chapter Two: The Only Thing To Fear Is Fear Itself.

Chapter Two: The Only Thing To Fear Is Fear Itself.

A Chapter by Douglas Levi Gribbins
"

Davis and the rest of his team mates infiltrate the facility, after finding a carcass of an extinct alien, they delve deeper into the facility, or do they?

"
As Davis stares down the hallway of the facility, they could seemingly hear their own blood flowing through their veins, their every footstep they feared as they knew it would echo almost endlessly through the chamber.

"Cornette, Riley, You got point." Ordered the Sergeant.

Williams could sense Rileys fear in her movements.

"Riley, we're right behind you, move on ahead." He assured her,

She acknowledged, moving in pace with her partner.

It wasn't long until the group met separating hallways, going two separate paths, astonished, Riley blurts out "What the f**k is this?"

Williams steps in to calm her down, "Riley, keep your cool, it seems this facility could be divided into different wings, maybe."

After glaring down the hallways and scanning his team, he gave his orders: "Davis, You're with me, Cornette and Riley, you go down the other path, keep your communications on, turn on your trackers so we don't lose each other, clear?"

Cornette and Riley both affirmed a "Sir, yes sir."

Davis remained quiet for a few short seconds, shooting a gaze down the hallway yet again, gaining a strange feel from it before uttering a "Yes sir." After realizing his queue.

Davis and his superior followed each other down the east hallway section, while Cornette was followed by Riley down the western one.

Minutes pass as Davis and Williams tread the hallway, being his officer, Williams starts speaking with Davis without broadcasting it.

"I've read your file before we even met, Davis, I know what you've done and I know your skills, I'm sorry for what happened at Orion and I commend you for staying strong through that, I, myself grew up without two parents, but unlike you, at least I had one, but I need to remind you that Riley and Cornette don't dislike you, they're just probably not over losing our last member that you replaced, it's not your fault."

Davis knew all of this, and hardly reacted but noted his officers care for his squad, even the newcomers.

"You say Riley and Cornette, but what about Paige?" Davis remarked.

"Paige doesn't really care, to be honest."  Williams quickly replied.

Davis acknowledged and went silent, moving on down the hall.

As Cornette and Riley ventured down their path, they remain mostly silent, sneaking in a bit of chatter every now and then.

"Riley, I know you're scared, but-"  
Cornettes words were cut off by Riley rudely spouting "I'm not f*****g scared, anything that isn't dead that pops in front of us will be dead very soon after!"

Cornette nodded and remarked "That's my sister."

After a few more minutes of walking, Cornette sees a red glowing symbol in the distance, he calls to his officer, "Cornette to Williams, I've spotted something." 

"Williams to Cornette, go ahead."

"It's one of those symbols on the walls, except it's glowing a reddish-yellow color."

"Investigate but take caution, report whatever you find, this may be the needle in this haystack, Williams out."

"Acknowledged, sir, Cornette out."

Riley is but inches away from her brother as Cornette lightly touches the symbol, opening a door swiftly and loudly that seems to echo through the chamber endlessly, after reporting it to his officer, they proceed through.

As they step through the eerie hallway, Williams and Davis continue on, chit-chatting every now and then.

"So, I wonder what the siblings found?" asked Davis

"Their names are Cornette and Riley, Private."

After a long pause, Easing up, Williams says "I don't know, I just hope it's what we were sent to find, keep moving."

Following minutes upon minutes of silence in the claustrophobic hallway, the pair find a green glowing symbol, Williams, relieved, calls to Cornette to report.

"Williams to Cornette, I've found a glowing symbol, like what you've found."

Much to his surprise, no response is heard.

"Williams to Riley, Cornette, respond, that's an order."

It's as if something in Williams had snapped at this situation.

"Damn it, Davis, you're with me, come on!"

Williams ran as fast as he could back down the hallway, with Davis at his back.


© 2018 Douglas Levi Gribbins


Author's Note

Douglas Levi Gribbins
I welcome all criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are doing well. Giving enough to make story line worthwhile and giving life and purpose to the characters. I liked the chapter. Had the feel of setting up a deadly situation. Thank you Douglas for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 9, 2018
Last Updated on February 25, 2018
Tags: sci-fi, immortal, hero, heroes, action, adventure, aliens