Dead people and their desires

Dead people and their desires

A Story by Gaurav
"

a short story after a long time; please review

"
In 1999, few people who were closed to me died abruptly - my uncle, my father and one of my good friends. While my uncle died of heart attack and my father of an accident, my friend had committed suicide. Since childhood, i only had heard of deaths but had never seen the dead body. But this time, i was closely associated with all the arrangements. Worse, i remember myself washing my father's body as well - this was extremely weird but this was a ritual.

A year or more had passed and their memories were waning. But some nights (or mostly i would say), i would see one of them entering into my dreams and screwing my sleep as hell. With time though, i started enjoying such dreams. In the morning, just when i would wake up, i would spend a minute or so recollecting such dreams. Mostly, it would become a waste exercise. But some times, i could remember the dreams and would keep it in my memories. I also would try to make sense out of the dreams but never got successful. 

One night i saw my dead friend talking to me in hush voices in my dream. He was saying something in my ear and i could not hear it. There were noises around. But when i concentrated, i heard him saying -"Soon the air will get cold and blankets will keep us warm. You will mix your rice with dirty pulses and walking chicken. Don't boil the chicken. It hurts." Next, i saw an open village where naked children were jumping into the black water river. I saw a child inside the river drowning and shouting. He was helpless. None could help him. I rushed towards the river to save him but i fell as soon as i started. My head hit on the rock and my sleep vanished in pain. I woke up hurt. I remembered this dream afterwards and tried to make sense but in vain.

Another night, i saw my friend taking me inside a room. I remembered this room in my dream because it was where he had committed suicide. I saw him picking up a hammer and a knife. He put his head on the side-table and started hitting hammer on it with right hand. I could sense the pain it could have caused. But he was laughing. With each stroke, his laugh got intense. His head was all red and hair soaked in blood. Next, he picked up the knife and put it on his neck. He started sliding the knife in the front of his neck. A spill of blood flew over the floor. He threw the knife and started collecting the blood on his hand and drank some. He saw me all of a sudden and ran towards me. I ran in response but fell as soon as i started - my head hitting on the door this time. And soon my sleep vanished in pain again.

Such nightmares got common. And then i decided to think over it all. I remembered the first dream where a child was drowning and a village. I looked at the FB profile of my friend and found that he belonged to a village in Bihar - where he spent his childhood. I guessed that it might be that the child was my friend only. But i was not sure because i could not complete my dream. What i did then, over the weekend, i went over all the way to the village. I asked locals about my friend and his family and found out his patriarchal home. As i knocked on the door, a lady of about 70 years opened it. She was his mother. I told her everything about the dreams. After a pause she told me about the child. 

She told me that the child in my dream was my friend only. And he didn't drown that day. The locals were able to save him. There were correlations - between him drowning, he hammering his head and slicing his neck and even killing himself finally. It was because he had a suicidal tendency since childhood which increase as he got old. He wasn't drowning because of the mistake. It was his own decision.

And now after his death too, he was appearing in my dreams to fulfill his desire to kill himself again. 

But me? Ohh, i was afraid. Because i knew he was trying to impose his desires on me as well. And everytime, i would be hurting myself in dreams. This would be crazy as hell but i decided to fight him.

© 2018 Gaurav


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It was really scary. Hope u have good dreams.i think he might have wanted to tell you the reason for his suicide.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your sweet words :)
Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Its merely fictional but yes that was the only reason - he wanted me to tell the reason.
overall I think that this is a good story. there were some mistakes but I think that is because of English isn't your first language (Super sorry if I am wrong.) most of the story is you as the narrator telling the events there is a very little description of the setting or how the events are making you feel. also, I feel that the whole story is rushed and there isn't much conflict to overcome for the character

Posted 5 Years Ago


nightshade

5 Years Ago

if you wouldn't mind heading over to my blog and checking it out https://amythistsadd.wixsite.com/ni.. read more
During my growing up years I use to hear stories of my aunt & granny talking about of xyz person (apparently the dead ones) doing or telling them something in dreams & I use to laugh at it thinking "In this modern world with advance technologies, how can one think like this". With time i realized that there are somethings under your control & some aren't.
I was longing to read something nice for long & I stumbled upon this.
Thanks for sharing.
You presented the reasoning & psychological side of our dreams.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

thank you Mary
Its great that you can properly harness this darkness.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gaurav

6 Years Ago

thank you Cadel
This is deep and dark. Fighting suicidal tendencies can be challenging, but well worth the effort. I am wondering if this will be a longer story because I sense an epic battle between the living and dead here and would like to know how the character fares. Excellent and somewhat spooky story my friend. Cheers!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gaurav

6 Years Ago

thanks a lot Karen. I am glad that you liked the plot.
Tragic but true but brings up brilliant blues, I guess, I like it !

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gaurav

6 Years Ago

thank you Robert
Very intense and powerful. The content is difficult to read. I know it may sound cliche, but these painful experiences make up stronger.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gaurav

6 Years Ago

Thank you Clifford :)
gave me a creepy feeling... reading it..
i would never want such dreams.. :)
hope you have better and nice dreams..
i have a dream catcher hanging above my bed...
maybe those don't let bad ones reach me :P

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gaurav

6 Years Ago

I know. Such a wierd feeling it would be. But it would be as strange and exciting as well. Dream wor.. read more
This is a very intense powerful message you have put here. I think dreams are fascinating and a way for our unconscious self to attempt to heal those feelings we hold deep inside. It is good you are able to write about it. I find writing very therapeutic. Keep up the fight and don't give in to those negative feelings my friend.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gaurav

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review :)
this is a great story my friend

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

6 Years Ago

thank you for the review :)
 wordman

6 Years Ago

you`re welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 11, 2017
Last Updated on June 19, 2018
Tags: story, dead, desires

Author

Gaurav
Gaurav

New Delhi, India



About
a believer in hope and a seeker of knowledge, i want to devote this life to literature, music and self-discovery. more..

Writing
Unreal Unreal

A Poem by Gaurav


Sun and son Sun and son

A Poem by Gaurav



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..