A letter to papa

A letter to papa

A Story by Gaurav

Alisha got married to her childhood friend Nitin. They had a destination wedding in one of famous hotel chains in Goa. Everybody had arrived except her father who was against the marriage. Nitin, as per her father, was a man of contradictions. Marrying him would mean living a life of lies and cold hugs. Alisha fought. She knew Nitin. He would never do anything to hurt her.
A year after marriage, she wrote a letter to her father. -
"Dear papa. Hope you are doing well. My sincere apologies for not contacting you in the past one year. But trust me, not a single day passed without remembering you. I had brought with me guitar, several books (especially my favorites 1984, war and peace, crime and punishment, gunahon ka devta), dream catcher, many beautiful cards and all those things that you had given me on different occasions - most of those simply on whims. During nights, most nights, when Nitin is done maligning my body and soul, through rape, abuse and other sadistic measures, and my tears are soaked, i walk towards the corner of my room and look at your precious gifts. And i cry in happiness. My life is not very difficult nowadays because i have gotten used to it. My life was difficult in the beginning when i started living with him. He didn't wait for honeymoon to get over. I still remember that night. Using his physical power, anger, hatred (all of these originated from somewhere else - his job, boss, traffic, co workers, bad music, all kind of pollution), he ignored my existence and treated me as the culprit of it all. He needed one reason and that came in the form of a slight high amount of salt in food. He kicked me and i fell on the bed. After that, he took out his belt and red lines started to appear on my naked body. These turned black in a day but the pain remained for a month. My in-laws gave me hugs, treated me gently when i told them about it. Papa, it took a large dose of strength to tell them about what happened. For my in laws, Nitin is an ideal guy who can never do any wrong. But they believed me when i showed them my back. They took me to the doctor. On the way back, my mother-in-law requested me to not tell it to anyone, not even you. But they talked to Nitin about it. He couldn't believe it. For him, it was an act of treachery. How could i share my bedroom phenomenon with anyone? That night, he raped me for the first time. And since then, he has raped me day and night, whenever he wanted. 
Dear papa. You were always right. I always believed you. But why couldn't i believe you about Nitin? But was it my fault? How could i know that he was a monster? 
But we all should do right things. Right papa? And to do righteous act, one has to be strong and let go of all fears. Papa, i have killed the monster. He is dead. His body lays in front of me. I don't regret it papa because i have done the right act. It feels calm here. It feels as if i am free. My soul is proud of me. And i am smiling for the first time in the last one year. I want to come to you and hug you papa. I want to feel the pure hug. Your angel is smiling papa like you always wanted."

© 2018 Gaurav


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is such a heart-breaking story. That really rips you apart inside. she was married to a brute and she tried to make it work. By focusing on her father's wishes and could not take it any more. And killed him. This really shows you what humans can do and tolerate and do for others. Just to make them happy before their very own self.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

I know. People have the ability to tolerate but once it pains their soul, it forces them to take act.. read more
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

I do agree.



Reviews

Ending was shocking. The pain, the agony does touch the heart. Trust me buddy, this is one of the best piece of writings I have read in this forum and I say it knowing very well that there are some extremely talented and experienced people in this forum. This is going down as one of my favorites. Very well written.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

thank you Anurag. Appreciate it
The ending takes one by surprise, but it should have been expected. A person can stand only so much. The tragedy is that similar stories are seen in real life quite frequently.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thanks a lot John
Such a sorrowful story. Sometimes others' know better.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

thank you Sarah...yes
wow wow wow i am sure this does happen and is common is this based on a personal thing or did you just randomly write it, i love it its so heartbreaking and sad
this poor girl like many poor girls in the world (and men and boys also) rape is such a horrific thing. I could feel the emotion in the letter to her father and felt his joy in reading it at the end. this is so well done congrats.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

No worries..i love to make conversations :)
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

ok well thats fine then. glad i read your work tonight very good
Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Sure anytime. Thank you!
Perfect just like all your other ones
I really enjoy reading your poems/story/letter everything
It makes me feel stuff I haven't in awhile and i love this feeling.
This is so so touching. i hope you never ever stop writing keep it up..

- Teresa K aka LUNA

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thanks again for your sweet comments. Really appreciate it.
Teresa

5 Years Ago

Ah Any time :)
I am left thinking, what would her Papa have thought receiving and reading that letter? Heart breaking story. One of dreadful abuse and rape. A man incapable of loving. I have to say, he got his just desserts. The story for me had a very satisfactory conclusion.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Chris for reviewing the work
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

You are most welcome
Interesting and well written, but one thing worries me, are you saying that a destination marriage ( I assume this is a marriage of free choice) means that it must be the wrong choice ? If so, with respect, I can`t follow you here.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thank you Leslie. No destination or love marriage has nothing to do with story. The incident can hap.. read more
Such a sad story.But in the end ,she didn't regret it and was smiling. He died in an instant but she had to endure all those tortures for a year- both soul and body.u have written a wonderful story👏👏👏

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

thank you so much for your lovely words :)
This is a very emotional letter. each word touched my inter self. I got the chills rolling down my spine. This is truly heartbreaking story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thanks a ton for your words Lilly..:)
One of the best stories I've read all week. This is very powerful. You have a shorthand style of writing, not putting down every word & filling in all the blanks. Even tho you don't go into very much detail, you cover all the important facts about this situation, so we understand what's happened on a deep level. Your letter shows a great depth of understanding of human nature by YOU. The best writing is done by writers who can observe the realities of life & love this way, as you have, in a very non-judgmental way, just telling about the things we dumb humans sometimes do. That's what makes your story so meaningful . . . the way you yourself are very compassionate & understanding . . . it comes thru loudly (((HUGS))) fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Ohh this is a very encouraging review Margie. I am very happy that my words could connect. Thanks ag.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

580 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 27, 2018
Last Updated on August 27, 2018

Author

Gaurav
Gaurav

New Delhi, India



About
a believer in hope and a seeker of knowledge, i want to devote this life to literature, music and self-discovery. more..

Writing
Unreal Unreal

A Poem by Gaurav


Sun and son Sun and son

A Poem by Gaurav



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Agents (SOE) Agents (SOE)

A Story by Wild Rose


Wish I Was Wish I Was

A Poem by BL


Just Quietness Just Quietness

A Poem by .