Pregnant Journey

Pregnant Journey

A Story by Gary H
"

Something that may or may not have happened many years ago. The memory plays tricks as does the life of a student.

"

My life as a student. This morning my body ceases to work in unison with my head. I feel awful. There is too much going on. 'The horror, the horror of it all', breaks in Colonel Kurtz aka Marlon Brando. The time is roughly 10.00 am and Apocalypse Now is trying to force it's way out of the television. The sound control is up to maximum and there is a connection to two massive 100 watt speakers that are strategically placed in the room. With the windows open, we wait for the neighbours to crash and bang on the walls telling us to turn the sound down. After last night they are probably too exhausted to bother.

 

            We play cards in a desperate attempt to win money from each other. The idea was to give one of us a chance to survive a few days longer without a visit to the Bank of Mum and Dad. The first arguments start when the alcohol runs out.  At first we shout and scream into the early hours, then fight before leaving a deathly hush. That probably scares the neighbours more than anything. However, if they are waiting to find out if we are still alive, they now know.

 

I dress in what I pretend is a US GI uniform, in fact a cheap East German army shirt from the Army Surplus store, a regular haunt for me. On my feet are black Doctor Martin boots, scuffed, unpolished and tidied with flourescent green laces. Trousers are standard student issue, ripped straight legged jeans. This particular issue came into my possession after falling into a pond at John's house. He gave me a pair of his favourites and I never gave them back. I also have a cool 'Suck My Lollipop' t-shirt. It's cool because the word 'Lollipop' is hidden in my trousers so makes the shirt attention seeking and offensive.

           If I could be sure when I last washed I would say. An electric razor rubs itself over my face carefully because of a broken mains lead. Once or twice I receive a shock that helps wake me. Toothpaste is rubbed on with a finger and I gargle some brown tap water. I am nearly sick and gag for a few seconds wondering what will happen next. Then I recover and am ready to leave the house.

 

The Ride of the Valkeries accompanies this mornings walk. The tune is going around my head again and again. I feel dizzy and stop after a few minutes. A smell of rancid beer and stale cigarettes is following me from the house. I realize this stench is from my clothes and once more feel the sickness rise. When the time comes to drink and smoke I will be ready though.

 

           The local Off-Licence comes into view. I have recently discovered two new drinks that satisfy my meagre money supply, one being Old English Cider, the other being Medium Sherry. Whether these are any more healthy than the normal consumption of  Special Brew and Tenants Super lager is a debatable question.  Tenants is known as good value for money for students, often known as Tenants Soup, a whole meal and drink for the day.

            I have no money so I look down, following grey cracks in the pavement, ignoring the store, instead searching for pennies or a dead cigarette end. In my pocket is a Golden Virginia pouch that I collect up any 'left overs' with. I find one and add a small shred of tobacco, eventually hoping to have enough to make a roll up.

             The nicotine will kill me, or at least add to my ills. Television and huge billboards tell me not to smoke. I want to make my own decisions. If I am told not to do something, I will do it just to spite that person and also discover myself the reasons why.

            I kick a can of Coke aimlessly into the road before following it's path. Today is Sunday, a day off from the grind of student study. I should be in Church. I should be working but all that is for the future. Now I have other things on my mind and I want to find somewhere to think alone and in silence.

 

In the first mile of my walk  I  am lost in thought. I pass the place where my problem first occurred. Staring at the house I wonder if she is in. Maybe a curtain twitches as though my walk was predicted. I'm not sure and move on quickly wanting to avoid any possible altercation.  Two weeks previous I had watched soft pornographic movie double bill at Ealing Cinema with my two housemates, Tony and Charles and we were completely bored. The films were the B***h and the Stud starring Joan Collins. The occasion livened up only when  the police were chasing someone through the cinema.

            I knew about pornography. I was first introduced to dirty films by Chicken George, a Nigerian I met in Hastings. He named himself 'Chicken George'. Personally I was happy with this as it was a lot easier than our attempts at saying his full name and thus saved any embarrassement.        He was there because his parents wanted him away from his home country and to establish a decent career for himself. His intentions were different, regularly inviting groups of friends to his flat to smoke drugs, drink alcohol and watch his porn collection that consisted of a strange fascination with Ron Jeremy.

            I wondered about the fascination of sex to a student. Now I was away from home for the first time in my life. There were no boundaries. I was free. Even so none of us in the student digs were familiar with any of the girls at Ealing College of Higher Education. This was despite the overwhelming number on the Catering Course. We were all busy making friends with whoever we could but the sexes were not yet mixing.

 

Of course, real sex changes everything. George's films left a tantalising stain on my memory. I  left Hastings College pure and innocent apart from those ideas in George's films. With those thoughts in mind I then met Chrissy. Not only did I meet her, I was seduced by her, watching every movement of her body, every flash of a smile, every time she pulled a cigarette from her mouth.

            I want to describe her but know I will miss parts of out, the parts that first attracted me and those parts belong to just her and I. She was as tall as me, around 5'6”. Her hair was blondish although when I ran my fingers through it, I found dark hidden roots. She had a pretty little nose that stuck upwards at the end, green eyes and an attractive mouth.

            Chrissy was neither fat not thin. She was well developed, the smoking acting as a food inhibitor with the drinking a little on the heavy side but not too excessive. She knew her limitations.

 

I pass the spot where we first kiss. She had experience, I had none. Chrissy gave me a taster of what a full on sexual woman could do, my emotional balance was changing. I became her little pet animal forever after some 'be good' treats. I stop and can see us, feel her tongue enter my mouth for the first time.

            There is a street light in Mattock Lane. The time is 11.15pm. We clinch on the corner together as one against a fence. People pass but we are no longer in this world, instead in each  others  fantasy. The feel of her lips, the touch of her tongue against mine, leaves me breathless. She entices my hands into her blouse and I fumble incompetently. She has my fly undone then stops. Pulling herself away she says -

 

'Come with me.' and briskly moves away.

 

I have morals that vanish and my brain moves into my trousers. We take a footpath behind St Marys Church and stop on a short bridge over the Picadilly tube line.  Here she lets me kiss her again. I know her house is only a brief distance away. This is the point where I think of the Clash song 'Should I stay or should I go?' She wants me to be sure and knows I am scared.

 

'Do you want to? Forget an invite for coffee, that wastes too much time and Sonia might hear us.'

 

I laugh nervously then add -

 

'But surely she will hear our moans and groans of passion?' This was a very brave thing to say for a first time. I am acting as porn star, Ron Jeremy, in one of Chicken George's films.

 

'Well, you will have to keep control of yourself then.....'

 

I follow her, holding her right hand. We arrive at her front door and she fumbles for her key. I wonder about her last comment and what it means. I try to say something.

 

'Shhhhhhh....' she says, 'keep quiet until we are upstairs.'

 

Once there, Chrissy leads me to her bedroom. I sit on the bed in the dark waiting for her to return. Then, being brave, I get undressed and sneak under the duvet cover. The toilet flushes and suddenly I want to go myself. There are voices. Sonia and Chrissy are talking but I cannot hear their words. I realise I am no longer in control of what will happen next. As the door opens there is light. I am frozen like a animal in car headlights. Chrissy sees my discomfort and laughs. Sonia shouts 'Goodnight', Chrissy replies then she studies me. She is fully clothed on her return. Perhaps this is wrong.

 

The movies flicker back. Marlon Brando is looking closely at me:-

 

'So are you going to do it? Do you have the balls son?' I'm not sure.

 

Joan Collins is saying 'Oh my God, Now Now now, Ohhhhhhh!' I laughed at this. It was so false.

 

Ron Jeremy appears, 'Size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts.' The man had spoken the words of truth.

 

I want to reply 'But I don't know what to do!'

 

The bedroom light is out. She is somewhere in the room but my eyes take a while to adjust before catching her in the corner, taking the last of her underwear off. She makes her way towards her side of the bed.

 

'Are you still awake?'

 

She is not expecting an answer. I know this because before I am able to open my mouth, her lips meet mine. I feel her body up close up and naked.  There seems to be a feeling of electricity between us. I touch her, at first this is building confidence with my hands on her arms, then her neck, her hair, and finally a quick touch of her breasts. She lays over me leaving room between our bodies, before suddenly turning and laying away from me.

 

'So, are you going to do it?'

 

This time the question resonates around the room, not from a film, not pretend, this is real, happening now. I feel her hand move to my thigh slowly, moving between my legs.

 

'I think you are ready.....'

 

'But what about protection?'

 

'I'm on the pill. Don't worry.' she replies reassuringly.

 

I think I am shaking but try to put a brave face on and move over her until I am now level with her face.

 

'Where do I put it?' I ask trying to retain some kind of  dignity but failing.

 

I am waiting for the question, 'So it's your first time, how do you feel?' That is all I need to leave and seek sanctuary in the toilet. But Chrissy is quiet, instead taking my erection and methodically putting it inside her.

            At this moment I recall a close friend of hers whispering in my ear, 'You know, it's as big as the Mersey tunnel down there. Don't get lost.'

            I am panicked, more so when I feel her begin to gyrate her hips. In a dream the whole event lasts for ten or fifteen minutes. We try a ridiculous number of positions, some which make us laugh, some requiring great concentration and balance. In reality seconds pass and my first sexual encounter  is over. At least, that is what I thought.

 

Two days later Chrissy is in tears. Sonia tells everyone I am a b*****d then screams at me that Chrissy has missed her period and fears she is pregnant. The pill Chrissy takes was earlier that day  forgotten. I am about to mention this was not my fault but think better of it. Instead I am wondering now about protection from suddenly becoming responsible.

            Sonia fears the worst and forces me to realise that Chrissy and I could have a child, should  marry and spend the rest of our lives together. I am going to be a 18 year old father. I am going to have responsibilities. My life will change from wasting years at college, drinking and smoking, to becoming an adult before my time.

 

'Oh s**t!' I say these words out loud on my walk. There were kept quiet from Sonia, never even thought about when I saw Chrissy later that day. She looks a wreck.

 

And now I walk on from this spot. Ultimately, the world is a learning process. That seems a very philisophical comment. There are two things to make me realise this. The first is in spending £10 at a pharmacy for a pregnancy testing kit. I have no idea about the cost of these things. As soon as it was in my hands I left the store in a hurry without collecting the change.

            Finding out how one works and how to read the result is a nerve wracking experience. Two human beings sit together and wait for colours to appear on a plastic tube. This will reveal destiny. We sit side by side but ultimately miles apart.

            The second realisation is when the test is negative. In some ways I am desolate. To succeed in creation is the goal of  humanity. Apocalypse Now paints scenes of violence and desolation but people were created to make this. Pornographic films give encouragement for our bodies to be in the act of replication.

            I find 20p and have enough tobacco to make a roll up. I light up the cigarette and immediately cough. There is a roar of an airplane above and I look up and see white clouds in blue sky, nothing new, but something I usually ignore.

            There is a gate leading to Walpole park where I go and find myself a bench to sit on. Here I sit and listen the sound of birds in treetops, an occasional dog bark or child shout. This is an ideal place to meditate.

 

From no-where comes a tramp. He sits next to me and starts talking. I listen to words about his fights in life, the war,  his battles and eventually his downfall in losing everything. I feel better hearing his account. My brief scare disappears from my mind. I drink from his cider bottle, nake him laugh and he shows genuine surprise that I am spending time with him. I am wanting to tell him my story when he hands me £10 and then vanishes into the bushes from where he came.

            When I walk back home I smile for the first time in days. I spend the money on drink and cigarettes and my life as a student starts again.

© 2011 Gary H


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved this. In the first few sentences, I'll admit I was thinking, "oh no, another rambling early-morning-routine opening sequence," but this kept me captivated start to finish. Your writing style is fabulous, and I doubt there are many people in the world who CAN'T relate to this account in some way. Bravo. I would give it another once-over for minor grammatical errors and mistypes (I noticed about 3), but otherwise, this was perfection.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A great slice of real life. Loved your description of losing virginity, with all the embarassed thoughts that went with it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

irvine welsh? reminds me of trainspotting or porno, great f*****g job man you may be my fav. writer on here

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It held me all along.;(

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really good, it really held me. It's the first thing I have read as a new member to the site. Really enjoyed it, keep going!

All the best

Markeemark

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved reading this. You transported me back in time! Natural style which flows for the reader.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Definitely a unique piece! Definitely got talent. Keep it up! :]

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is one gripping writing style.
Excellent, keep 'em coming!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Love your style. Seeing porn through a strangely humanist light does make it more profound than Apocalypse Now (haha)! I wasn't expecting an ounce of disappointment when that test read negative--going off what I knew about the character--and it threw me off guard. That conflict really regaled me and it was, in my opinion, what made this piece transcend from journal entry to visceral prose. Far the f**k out, my friend, far-the-f**k-out.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hi Gary, What a story this is .. oh, I enjoyed the beginning bit of ramble as i like ramblings. I found some humor within but more so a feeling of anxiety and melancholia ... Seems a time warp , yes but what a wonderful ride.
Very much enjoyed.

Chloe

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As always i really enjoyed reading.It's funny and makes me want to go on reading until the last.Funny yet true when it comes to teenage life.I can imagine his disapointment and relief after the test.
Thanks a lot for sharing Gary.:O)

RR

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2748 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 25, 2011
Last Updated on March 25, 2011

Author

Gary H
Gary H

nowhere, United Kingdom



About
more..

Writing
Body Parts Body Parts

A Poem by Gary H


Home Home

A Poem by Gary H



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin