That Was Today

That Was Today

A Poem by Devons

So far back so far as I can see

Life was always yesterday to me

Everything must end and so is sorrow

What you cannot bring back is tomorrow

 

It's just onwards and never towards

Like filming that never records

I can't go backwards and I can't stand still

I'm always halfway up, down, or over the hill

 

Take a look at the world, but how it keeps on going!

But look! Oh, no! You missed it - but just now it was snowing!

Into the past it spins so fast that it's coming around again!

Here comes the next day and there goes the next - and that was today, just then!

 

You may remember it some day but you can't keep Now

Now isn't something that time can allow

I don't want to look back but what else is there to see?

Life was always yesterday and yesterday is me.

© 2015 Devons


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This so much brings us to the truth that how we spend most of our life in yesterdays and tomorrows...and as you said in,Life was always yesterday and yesterday is me...mostly yesterdays.Many modern day spiritualists write about shedding the present history (or something like it,i don't remember the term)..and move on,not to worry what has been done and gone cause that is the best we could have done but it is all easier to be said than done :)..past will always loom large in my life for the people i met,decisions i took will rebound into the present.

Posted 13 Years Ago




You may remember it some day but you can't keep Now

Now isn't something that time can allow

I don't want to look back but what else is there to see?

Life was always yesterday and yesterday is me

I have not seen this poem ... it is reality at least for me .. I feel this way.
Great use of metaphors to describe life and how it was and can never be again, as yesterday is yesterday...

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Life was always yesterday and yesterday is me"... how often do we live our lives like this... the struggle to be HERE. RIGHT NOW. And as soon as it is grasped, it is a memory. This can be a good thing, if the now is an unpleasant place. And yesterday is always along for the ride. Tomorrow being a weight... or freedom "Everything must end and so is sorrow"
My favorite line, though...the bit about filming that never records.
This piece encapsulates an inner struggle I have always tried to master. And it is done so with technical precision and sharp images.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The rhythm of your poem moves quickly just as time does as it continues to pass by. Very well written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so incredibly on point that I barely know where to begin. Time is an interesting thing. We can only see it once it is behind us, imagine it as it lies ahead, and blind to it when it is upon us. Surreal, really. You command my attention, as usual. I have come to expect nothing less. Excellent!

~True

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is so wonderful, I like your third stanza as well.
This is written so well

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is good! I like the third stanza... thats just how quickly the world moves. One minute somethings there the next its gone. So quick. I liked the last line as well. Very well written.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 23, 2010
Last Updated on May 26, 2015
Tags: time

Author

Devons
Devons

South West, United Kingdom



About
WE BREAK ACROSS THESE TRAM LINES I DRAW by Haz I draw them with lines of reflections through their steps enough space between them for your space.. more..

Writing
O Superman O Superman

A Poem by Devons



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


forgiveness forgiveness

A Poem by Emily B