Fae

Fae

A Story by Gene
"

Thingy about fairies blah blah be nice i only twelve lol lady of challote wat hapen b4

"

Fae

 

Once apon a time; it suggests a faerie story. This is what this story is but trust me it is far from what you would expect. In this time the traditional faeries of your child hood wouldn't last a day. In this time before human technology the fae folk still had the upper hand. They were well aware of their power and used it mercilessly. Playing with humans as if they were their toys. These faeries were cruel and this is not a story for the faint hearted. Do you dare read on?

 

Incy was the faerie lords daughter. This meant she was very beautiful and had more magic than any one being had the right to. She was also so big headed there were bets on how long it would be before her head grew so big it sent her flying of into the sky like a balloon. She had many games she enjoyed playing with the mortals. Twisting their minds ,playing with them like puppets. The best part was that the humans would remember nothing but the except her tinkling laugh which would haunt them for ever. Nothing but a forgotten memory. One of her favourite games was to maze them. Making them lose themselves in the forest and sometimes in their own minds. Following them round taunting them with her laugh , occasionally letting them catch a glimpse of her.. Sometimes she forgot to take the spell of. Oh well. Her favourite game though was to make men fall in love with her. Luring him in with her seductive singing. This sick sport turned out to be her undoing.

 

It was midsummers day. The day when the worlds (magical and mortal) are most in tune. The sun was shining bright making the dew sprinkled leaves sparkle like emerald. However the deeper you went into the forest the less light was seen. Less and less clearings letting in the light were visible and the sweet singing of the birds was replaced with a more mysterious ethereal song of the fae. No different from most other days but today there was no gossamer sparkling Veil separating the lighter and darker forests. Snap, rustle. The spooky silence of the forest was broken. A tall dark haired figure came striding through the finger likes branches which almost seemed to be trying to grab him. Kai was handsome in his own way. He had strong features and broad shoulders. He began to walk toward fae realm. Whether it was intentional or not we will never know but I do know is that he was soon seen by Inci.

Hello,” she said from her branch. The man looked around. Searching for the origin of the musical voice.

I'm up here ,”she said. As soon as he set eyes on her the man was transfixed . The glamour had already began.

 

For weeks the man would return to the forest every day to see his supposed lover. They could only see each other though, for the Veil had returned and no being could pass through the Veil in any direction. Incy continued to work her magic. However the man seemed to be working his magic as well. Incy began to fall equally in love with him. Soon she decided to try an experiment. She released him from her magic .Some how their love still continued to grow. The first love between human and faerie. Human and faerie villages alike were abuzz with scandal. It was outrageous, a faerie and a human. Of course in the mortal village it was only conspiratorial whispers and rumours. Some did not even believe in the fairys. Many who had loved ones ,who had experienced the backstabbing fae and either come out mad ,(or even worse hadn't come out at all). They warned him of the fae folks cruelty. Though like all people in love he foolishly did not listen. Believing the love was genuine. Which funnily enough it was.

 

It was midsummers day again. The Veil had faded and the man went to the forest to find his love. She appeared in front of him. She looked worried. Her golden hair was tousled and her fine gossamer wings were broken and her dress was ripped.

We have to run,” she said. He saw her tear stained face and decided he would wait for answers. They were far into faerie country and the sun did not shine through the trees any where.

We have to pass the border,” she panted as they half ran half stumbled through the dense forest .” He wont pass the Veil,”

Who wont pass the Veil my love,” said the concerned man.

My father,” Their eyes met for one fleeting moment. Incy looked away breaking the spell and ran. Dragging the young man after her.

A hunting trumpet sounded. The faerie and the human ran hand in hand ,adrenaline pumping through them.

 

They soon came to a lake. They realised they had been mazed. The silence of the forest was unbroken except for the heavy breathing of Incy and the man and the fast beating of their hearts. They tried to catch their breath, stood panting in the silence of what now had become the night. Their breath became ice crystals in the air. Shivers ran down their spines. Something wasn't right. It was midsummers day it should have been warm. However it was as cold as winter. Suddenly the sound of the faerie hunt had returned! The sound of trampling hooves got closer and closer. Accompanied by the blood thirsty shouts of Faeries. It echoed and bounded through the forest as if it to was chasing them. The lovers froze .Hand in hand they faced the approaching onslaught. Incy squeezed harder on the Kai's hand as her father ,along with others, entered the clearing by the lake. From a distance they would of looked like the average hunting party. There were many differences though. The horses were fae horses, immense and as black as coal. Their eyes like the faerie's were cold and heartless. If the eyes are the window to the soul then I would hate to see there soul. Another difference was the dogs, or lack of them. Instead were sleek ,bloodthirsty wolfs. The fae however were the most terrifying. Wearing the clothes of hunters but they carried no weapons. Their stares alone were enough to kill you. They looked like cold reflections of humans. Maybe they were. They laughed at the scared sweet hearts. A scornful ,masterful laugh. The fear in the eyes of Incy and Kai was petrifying in its self.

Incy you dared defy me, me your own father. You will pay the price ,child,” Boomed a strange but strong and powerful voice. It to had Incy's musical quality. The last word (child) had was as sharp as knives

unless you leave this man now, see fae are merciful,” He smiled craftily. He obviously enjoyed watching his daughters mental struggle.

No,” she whispered horsely. The Kai looked at her lovingly. Despite the situation she had not given him up. The smile on the king of the fairies face disintegrated into a look of pure anger.

WHAT DID YOU SAY,”

NO, I SAID ,NO, FATHER .I'M NOT SCARED OF YOU,”she screamed defiantly, though she obviously was scared. Kai felt her grip tighten further.

INSOLENT CHILD YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING,”Bellowed the king. He raised his hands in one powerful movement. An enormous wind whipped up. Everything swirled up into the air. Including the man and the princess. They hugged each other tight. Incy's skirts whirled as they kissed in the air. Their first and their last.

First the mortal,” said the king in a strangely calm voice. The other strange thing is that he said it from the ground. In fact the whole fae party had managed by some feat of magic to stay on the ground,”

You think you are good enough for the fae kind. You must be proud and I can't think of a prouder animal than the swan, so until another faerie falls in love with you you will be a swan. As for you ,my daughter ,since you love mortals so much you will become one. however you will not be able to look at them or there settlements directly. Only by using a mirror can you be part of their world. If you break these rules then you will die and return to your faerie form,”

 

So it was done .The man became swan ,the faerie became human . After her death she was found floating down the river in a boat. The funny thing was the humans who found her did not notice the beautiful shimmering wings that had been returned to her for it is true humans don't see what they don't want to. Neither did they notice the proud swan who swam protectively next to her. However some of them did hear the sound of the hunting horn signalling the end of the hunt.

© 2009 Gene


Author's Note

Gene
rgherertyjheryhery

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
Added on February 26, 2009

Author

Gene
Gene

Cambridge, United Kingdom



About
Ummmm. My brother is next to me "helping" me describe myself. Acording to him I am: 1. mad 2. crazy 3. weird 4. sarcastic 5. artistic 6. creative 7. friendly I am quite young for a writer. I am still .. more..

Writing
Soldier Soldier

A Story by Gene