The Waste

The Waste

A Story by Veronica Ostling-Hirschberg
"

A world where I seek a malevolent solace.

"
   The waste is all I've ever wanted to be. Dry and brittle and lonely; there is no hope here. Muted sounds of cracking grass and twigs reach only my ears as I walk to a destination I've never known. A pure image of dust and sand, the waste carries a sinister and metallic scent; the damned air twisting around me makes me sick. Trees are mere sticks in the ground, for there will never be rain here. A grey clouded sky keeps the hope of escape close in my mind, and the torture is barely livable.
    
   The pure desolation makes me love it, makes me want to stay despite my agony. The breathless wind taunts my imagination as it pushes small things here and there to move and twitch. If there was anyone else here I would certainly destroy them in order to maintain the dormant evil of the place.

   This is a world in which one is not meant to leave. I was born to simply exist here, in my home of the Waste. I do not know time, nor death or hunger. I am always plagued by a gnawing thirst; something I need but which can never be found. I was put here to suffer, and I do just that.

© 2013 Veronica Ostling-Hirschberg


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Superb and very intense...Your waste seems like a refuge, a sanctuary instead of the land of disgust that you describe...
We all have our wasteland, for in many moments of our lives, when our thoughts are clouded by life and our destination seems unclear, we choose to escape it to the land where we are simply meant to exist.
Your writing reminded us all of that important notion...Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love your subtle choice of words. The waste is a state of being yet also a place to be. Find your thirst.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Superb and very intense...Your waste seems like a refuge, a sanctuary instead of the land of disgust that you describe...
We all have our wasteland, for in many moments of our lives, when our thoughts are clouded by life and our destination seems unclear, we choose to escape it to the land where we are simply meant to exist.
Your writing reminded us all of that important notion...Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 14, 2013
Last Updated on November 14, 2013
Tags: waste, desolation, desolate

Author

Veronica Ostling-Hirschberg
Veronica Ostling-Hirschberg

AZ



About
As I write each piece I fill it with truths about myself and things I've done or seen. Every new world is a precious place of mine, kept in the archives of my mind. Becoming a professional writer is m.. more..

Writing