The Mortality We Share

The Mortality We Share

A Poem by Georgina Cross

Humans are deluded creatures, 
Stronger than all others. 
A desperate need for control
Astounds me.
Empty. 
with a need for control to feel complete. 
Simple minded creatures, 
like ourselves, push darkness aside. 
In some it swarms. 
Possesses. 
With only consumption, 
the constant verge for escape. 
Thoughts of the past swarm the mind, 
like flies to a rotting carcass. 
There's something mesmerizing about 
the morality we all share. 
Beauty of love, passion, seduction, 
Contradict a world of distance ad seclusion. 
Why is love so mesmerizing? 
And more importantly, 
Why must it always hurt?

© 2016 Georgina Cross


Author's Note

Georgina Cross
Any grammatical errors are for poetic effect.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Perhaps anything extreme, whether it be love or doubt or fear or hope is supposed to hurt.. because that hurt feeds the power of the emotion and.. as we fall or glide to earth, we know or rather - understand the right path.. Perhaps? For/to me, your your poem has two views, the belief that power controls both the emotions and actions of the controller AND the controlled, places them into a square holes holes, without a chance of change.

The next stanza seems to exercise the right to anything, especially love, being loved, loving - the way to be within Humankind, ethics, morals.. the hugger-mug of living LIFE. Perhaps you think of such as both freedom and liberty combined. Would love to know more of your thoughts in this far, far reaching and very fine piece of writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


a solid piece of writing, thought provoking, as a species we need to love and feel pain and be in some frame of control.keeps us together in a way.

Posted 7 Years Ago


A really good write. Loved the lines -
"With only consumption,
the constant verge for escape.
Thoughts of the past swarm the mind,
like flies to a rotting carcass. "

How true. Letting go of the past is perhaps the biggest step in "accepting life". We fail because we latch on to the thoughts that hurt us.

"Why is love so mesmerizing?
And more importantly,
Why must it always hurt?" - Aren't we all mesmerized by things that have a major impact on our lives even though we don't understand them? We can feel the connection, the pull towards the people we love but like a lot of other things, we cannot "truly understand love". Unfortunately, love hurts us all, and no one can tell us "why?". :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


This might be the funniest disclaimer I've ever read. Why don't we all use it to stifle the grammar police? . . . "Any grammatical errors are for poetic effect."

Your message seems to wander (nicely, at first) . . . your poem mostly addresses human frailties in a general sense, but then the last three lines zero in on thwarted love . . . it doesn't feel like this message supports or even leads to this conclusion.

Your first stanza is spot-on . . . I wish the poem continued more in this vein. Human's need for control could be fleshed out with many interesting, hard-hitting, specific examples. The next two stanzas bring up good examples of our humanity in general, but the first three stanzas together do not paint a cohesive picture for me. This is what I mean by "wandering" message.

I don't understand this line: "the constant verge for escape."

I like your writing, the way you use words & craft lines is professional grade, but your way of conveying a message feels more meandering to me & I prefer a more straightforward message. This could be mostly a preference thing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Deep and sincere, and quite right too. A beautifully written description of the core incentives of humanity.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Georgina Cross

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for such a positive review and i'm glad you think the poem is sincere.
I w.. read more
Country boy183798

8 Years Ago

It'll be my pleasure. And thank you too for sharing your works.
The last three lines are the best from my point of view. Two simple questions and common questions to which we do not have an answer. A nice piece of poetry.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Georgina Cross

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked my poem and for such positive feedback,
Please keep reviewing my work, yo.. read more
Georgie, this is another thought provoking piece of poetry, can't help my mind from getting in deep thoughts.... I normally don't put too much of my words when someone like Jacob sir and Richard sir has reviewed something, but to this one I will share my thoughts.... Your poem reminds me of a quote from the movie the fault in our stars that says "pain demands to be felt"... Your poem reveals some very aspects of human life, your observations has been superb and very true.... I believe anything that is connected with love, hurts us and the true beauty of love hides there... That why often the people or things we love the most hurt us the deepest.... Your poems are truly great and I'm so so glad that I'm getting the opportunity to read them.....

Sincerely,
Dhiman

Posted 8 Years Ago


Georgina Cross

8 Years Ago

Hi Dhiman,
Thank you so much for another lovely review, i am lucky to get the reviews of bot.. read more
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

You can feel assured Georgie I will always keep myself up to date with your poems... I love your wri.. read more
Great observations. Very true, unfortunately. Control & love very powerful driving forces for humans. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Georgina Cross

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for you all, after reading your work I appreciate this very much :)
I hope.. read more
Great ending and to me the best line was " with a need for control to feel complete."


Posted 8 Years Ago


Georgina Cross

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review, i'm glad you enjoyed the read :D
again, would leave out the descriptions...

this speaks for itself...and reminds me even of some of the English teachers in my department...they need to have control...to micro-manage, steer discussions if they even have them...it is better to run free...let the students think outside the box...it is better for us to do the same...in life, go outside the box, see the grey area...not everything is black and white ...most things are not..

very expressive writing here...and yes, many things that mesmerize us...hurt us...but if we feel pain, we know we have lived.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Georgina Cross

8 Years Ago

Again I will look at removing the description, I'm glad you enjoy my work and that it is applicable .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

421 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2016
Last Updated on April 9, 2016
Tags: love, power, short, poem

Author

Georgina Cross
Georgina Cross

Bath , Somerset, United Kingdom



About
20 year old aspiring poet. I have been writing from a young age but only started writing seriously when in sixth form. After one of my tutors told me my poetry was different from that of others and th.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cruel Summer Cruel Summer

A Poem by redzone