Hazelnut Harvest

Hazelnut Harvest

A Story by Georgina V Solly
"

An old country saying comes true.

"

 

 

HAZELNUT HARVEST

 

In what was considered a pretty rural area far from large cities everyone lived from the fruits of their labours. As time went by the general population remained unchanged more or less, the same the number of inhabitants never went too dramatically up or down. The village school held very few children, as there were few newcomers, in fact it was quite the opposite, people moved away for a better job and a lifestyle that wasn’t based on the cycle of the seasons in what was an inclement climate. Winter was always freezing cold; some years were colder than others, but cold nevertheless.

 

It all began during what was said to be the coldest winter on record. The streets in the villages were far too icy to venture forth at night and the locals made the most of their cosy cottages to stay at home in the warmth. The country roads were also treacherous for large animals and motor vehicles, ice was everywhere. The countryside lay beneath a deep snowfall, and the sky above was of a similar shade. The hedgerows and the naked trees in their winter mourning colour of brownish black were the only things that stood out. The sun was never seen.

The New Year ushered in heavy rainfalls causing flooding, making muddy lakes of fields, and looking after animals and crops became almost a waste of time. Instead of eating fresh grass, the sheep and cows had no option but to partake of the dried food that the farmer gave them. The fruit trees were in a dismal state with water dripping from their branches.

As spring approached and tiny leaves began to shoot out from plants and trees it was noticed that many of the local women were pregnant. There were the usual jokes about staying indoors too much over Christmas and the New Year. As nature blossomed and flourished, so did the future mothers.

 

Three couples stood out more than any of the other couples in the village of Somestone. They had all been married for quite a number of years and all of them were childless. The other couples in Somestone had already had children, or at least one. But the three couples in question had been living well, instead of having to programme their lives around the wants and needs of little people. They were all in shock when their doctor, Michael Jones, duly informed them that they were to welcome an addition to the family the following autumn.

 

Herbert and Arona just couldn’t believe their ears on being told they were to be parents. “We can’t be parents, we’ve been married so long and we’re not very young. It’s out of the question!” declared Herbert.

Arona was shattered and didn’t know how to respond. Why now, when their lives were neat and tidy with all their activities, this should happen. Arona’s mother had once warned her daughter, “What you need are a couple of children to give you something to think about apart from yourselves! It would do you both a lot of good.”

Arona and Herbert had paid no attention and continued to live the good life. And now Arona’s mother would be more than happy to be a grandmother.

“Herb, I’m not going to tell my mother about this circumstance till it can no longer be hidden. OK?”

“OK. Fine by me. We’ll carry on as usual and pretend that it hasn’t happened. And it’s not for certain. I’m sure.”

“I hope you’re right. I’ve never visualised myself pushing a buggy,” Arona said.

 

Parnell and Leanne were another couple who had let the baby years pass them by with no regrets. Leanne was keen on keep-fit and although she was nearer forty than thirty she was proud of having the same measurements as when she had been younger and single. Her main fear about having a baby had always been that of losing her fantastic shape. Parnell had never said anything about having children or not having them. It had never been a source of conversation between them. They were not as dismayed as Herbert and Arona, but all the same, changes would have to be made. In the car outside the doctor’s after being delivered the bombshell, they sat in silence too stunned to say anything, and then Parnell started up the car. “You can’t say life is boring, can you?” Parnell said to Leanne. “Whoever would have thought it? Us two as parents! There are going to be more than a few raised eyebrows on hearing this piece of news. Our nieces and nephews will have to take a back seat, after all this time being the only children in the two families. This new baby will take everyone by surprise and, as babies do, will be the centre of attention.” Parnell drove on laughing.

“I think you have forgotten one thing. I’ll be the one carrying it, not you. So keep your excitement to yourself. I wonder how much longer I’ll be able to attend the gym.”

“As long as you like, and when you’ve had the baby you can go back as soon as you want to,” Parnell said in an effort to animate Leanne.

 

Dan and Primula were the third couple who had lived well. For some years they had tried different ways of how to have children. It had been a long and frustrating task. Then the day had come when they had said, no more! After having made this decision they never gave the subject another thought. Doctor Jones was as shocked as they were. He had overseen their attempts at having a family and their frustration and sadness at not having their dreams fulfilled. Before asking them to call round to his surgery, he had got in touch with the clinic that had carried out the tests and had been informed that no mistakes had been made; Dan and Primula were going to have a baby. The reaction of the future mother and father was that of indifference.

“Do you mean to tell us that, after all we went through all those years ago, we are going to be parents. It’s a bit late, isn’t it?” Dan said, glaring at the doctor as if it were his entire fault.

Primula sat in a sad silence. “We spent all our savings at the time and all our hopes and dreams faded when we realized it would never happen for us.”

Doctor Jones felt very bad on their behalf. Ten years had passed since they had stopped treatment - and now this. “I was so surprised myself that I rang the clinic where the analysis was carried out and they assured me that it’s true. Nature has a way of playing tricks on us, and what appears to be a hopeless case, in fact turns out to be the opposite. I understand that now you are ten years older, but that doesn’t mean anything much these days. You are still fit enough and young enough to enjoy the child.”

“Doctor, you don’t seem to understand that we conditioned our lives without ever having children. I don’t know how we’re going to cope. The child will be a burden more than a blessing.”

“I’m sure you’ll both change your minds when you have the baby,” Doctor Jones said, more to convince himself than them.

Dan and Primula drove home in total silence. Even as time passed and the pregnancy progressed, neither of them spoke about it. If it happened then it would happen, but if not then their lives would carry on the same.

 

Meanwhile the hazelnut trees were wearing green leaves and from the look of things the harvest would be abundant. The hazelnut orchards were a lovely sight to see, and every day the farmers went out to take a good look at the weather conditions and the trees themselves. As the nuts got bigger and greener, squirrels could be seen grabbing them and running off to enjoy them in private. The farmers were annoyed by what they considered the squirrels’ antisocial activities. Every time the squirrels swung into action the farmers counted how many nuts had been eaten before their own harvest had got under way.

The summer was long and hot, for a change, and as the nuts were growing so it became evident that the local population would be expanding. Doctor Jones was kept busy with all the babies on the way. The worst scenario was with Dan and Primula. They just didn’t want to know anything and had zero interest in what, in their opinion, should have been born ten years previously. Herbert and Arona were not all that bothered. They left all the planning and shopping to Arona’s mother, who at long last was going to be the grandmother she had always wanted to be. Parnell and Leanne kept up their busy life, and especially Leanne with the gym.

 

When they at last had to tell their families, no one believed them. The Doctor had another bombshell for them. Nature had another quirk in store for the three couples. While all the other pregnant women in the village were going to deliver one baby, the three couples were going to have multiple births. On seeing the results of the echograms the poor doctor had sat back in his chair, leaned his face on his hands. How on earth was he going to impart this news to the already upset couples? He rang them all one afternoon, and asked to see them as soon as possible.

The first to arrive was Dan and Primula. They sat down with the air of resignation they had worn since they had been informed about the baby.

“Good afternoon, Doctor. Why have you called us in? We had the echograms only a few days ago. Are we no longer going to have a baby?” Dan asked.

Doctor Jones stared at the two of them wondering how they were going to take it. “The fact is you are going to have two babies,” the Doctor sat back in his chair. There he had said it to the most difficult couple. Now all he had to do was wait for their joint reaction.

Primula stood up and said, “Dan let’s go home. I’m too upset to listen to any more of this.”

Dan stared straight at the doctor and said, “I don’t know what’s going on here but if this is some kind of joke, it isn’t funny.”

Doctor Jones was rather perplexed he wasn’t quite sure what to make of the strange pair. He had sympathised with them when a natural child had been quite out of the question but now when he thought they would have been happier they appeared more miserable then ever. “You must be careful; a multiple birth is not the same as just a single baby. Generally speaking twins come earlier, so be prepared in advance.”

“Goodbye, Doctor, till the next time,” Dan said as he opened the door and put a hand under his distressed wife’s elbow.

Primula and Dan made a decision not to tell their families

 

Herbert and Arona arrived at the doctor’s on time, and they were both wondering what was in store for them. The doctor was prepared for any counter reaction after Dan and Primula’s visit. “I have to tell you that the echograms show you’re going to have twins. The graphs have been well studied and two babies are there.” He looked at the husband and wife.

Arona just sat and stared at nothing. “What’s this all about? There are no twins in my family.”

Herbert responded, “There aren’t any in mine either. Are you sure there’s no mistake? Arona’s mother is not so young, I’m not sure she’ll be able to look after twins.”

Doctor Jones couldn’t believe his ears “Aren’t you two going to look after your own children?”

“We can’t afford it. We like to live well, so Arona’s mother said she’d come and live with us till they go to school. That way no one misses out. The children will have better lives, and us too, and Arona’s mother will be the one in charge. Mind you, I don’t know how she’ll take to twins when she’s been preparing for one. Double trouble, eh, Doctor.”

Herbert and Arona left the surgery and got into the car and drove home. On the way Arona said, “I’d better ring my mother to tell her what the doctor said”

Herbert said to her, “I think we’d better go and tell her in person it seems the best thing to do. I wonder what she’ll say.”

Herbert and Arona didn’t have to worry about her mother’s reaction, “That’s good, getting it over and done with in one blow. You won’t need to have any more, and the two will grow up together.”

“I must say we’re lucky with her aren’t we?” Herbert said to Arona later in the evening.

 

Parnell and Leanne were the last to see the doctor. They had finished a special gym session for pregnant women. They weren’t too bothered about why they had to see the Doctor but they guessed as Leanne was bigger than all the other mothers to be and was eating as little as possible to keep her weight down and didn’t understand what was happening to her body.

Leanne was the first to speak, “Doctor, I’m worried sick about my figure and weight. I’m eating as little as possible and yet I’m getting bigger. Quite frankly, I’m getting worried. There’s something wrong isn’t there?”

Parnell asked the Doctor, “What’s wrong with my wife. She shouldn’t be as big as this for her first pregnancy. I know everyone says so, family and friends.”

“Your wife is normal for a woman who’s going to have triplets. In fact she’s slimmer than others I’ve seen carrying more than one baby.”

Parnell laughed, “This isn’t just a pregnancy, Leanne, the three babies will put us in a very special category. I’m dying to see everyone’s faces the day they’re born. What a hat trick! Three in one.”

Leanne asked the doctor, “Will I ever get my figure back or will my body be ruined for ever?”

“I’m sure if you work hard at it, you’ll get it back. Perhaps not so quickly as you would like it to, but with time I don’t see why not.”

“I like my wife as she is, and I’m sure she’ll be back at the gym as soon after the births as possible.”

Parnell and Leanne made the same decision as Dan and Primula, not to say anything to their families, just in case nothing came of it.

 

When the hazelnut trees began dropping the first harvest of nuts, so the first babies arrived. Parnell and Leanne had three boys, who were identical. They had no names for them, so they put several names in a hat, and the name and the corresponding baby were put together. They were quite shocked at the sight of the three tiny boys. They put the news on Facebook to let everyone know. And of course the tiny trio became the centre of attention in both families with three babies to stare at and compare. Leanne went back to the gym six weeks after delivering them, the females in both families happy to baby-sit.

 

The nuts were now falling with regularity and so the babies arrived with the same regularity. Herbert and Arona had two boys, who were named by Arona’s mother. Their grandmother was more pleased than the parents, and the elderly lady soon found two accomplices in the tiny pair. The news of the boys’ birth was also on Facebook.

 

Dan and Primula saw the two pieces on Facebook, and sadly and with the same air of resignation they had maintained during the pregnancy, waited silently and solemnly for the dreaded day.

Doctor Jones made sure that he would be with them when Dan and Primula’s babies decided to make their appearance. The sad pair entered the hospital one evening when the last and third harvest of the hazelnuts was in process. It had been a good autumn for hazelnuts and the farmers were pleased. All day long the machines that were used in the harvesting of the nuts could be heard from the sweeper to the nut dryer, which was the last action of the list. The squirrels had already had their share, and now it was the turn of the farmers.

Doctor Jones wanted everything to go well for Dan and Primula. He dreaded what state they would be in if anything should go wrong. He knew they were going to be far luckier than all his other patients, but had never told them, as they had never wanted to know the sex of the baby, they had been afraid of giving it an identity - just in case.

 

The birth of the boy and girl twins of Dan and Primula went on Facebook, with the added news that the girl was the only one to have been born that year in the village of Somestone. This had at last caused the sad pair to smile, and Doctor Jones had become a little emotional on seeing the baby girl. He said to Dan and Primula, “Your daughter is the only girl to have been born in the village this year. Your son will have lots of playmates and your daughter will be the princess. What do you think of that?”

Dan replied to the Doctor, “There’s been a bumper hazelnut harvest this autumn and, when there is a bumper nut harvest they say that means more boys are born than girls.”

Primula stared at her children in sheer astonishment, “We were too afraid to say or do anything about buying anything for them. It seemed like tempting fate.”

Dan and Primula could scarcely believe their luck. They had done better than any other parents. Their daughter would never be forgotten in Somestone.

“Have you got names for them?” The doctor asked the proud parents.

“Not yet, Doctor, but one name the little girl won’t be called is, Hazel,” said Primula laughing.

 

Doctor Jones understood those two better than any other parents he had encountered in his professional life.

 

© 2013 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am very pleased to read this wonderful story.
I congratulate you for writing it with humor and reality.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 22, 2013
Last Updated on September 29, 2013
Tags: Hazelnut, babies, doctor, fulfilment

Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing