The Fire Fish Ritual

The Fire Fish Ritual

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

Chapter 6

THE FIRE FISH RITUAL

 

From  the very first moment that the government decided to throw itself into tourism it made every effort that all should go well. They made a programme from studies carried out in countries where tourism was a success. Nobody, not even the curator of the museum, was absolutely sure about the analysis of the engraved stones on the temple floor. They took for granted that they told the story of the calamity which had befallen the ancestors after having exploited the fish. The hieroglyphics were difficult to read because there were no islanders with this knowledge. In other countries it was said that the hieroglyphics in the temple belonged to a very ancient language which was spread throughout the archipelago.

The thing that most interested the government was to find a way to make money out of such an insignificant island, that had just one temple and a few shipwrecks as focal points.  The archaeologists said that perhaps the stones on the floor not only told the story of the myth but could also have been the basis of a ritual practised by the ancients, so as to avoid repeating the same mistake.

Every year during the high season the island relived the origin of the myth. Some days before, it was announced by loudspeakers, posters, radio and television. There was no possibility of being uninformed. The islanders prepared wreaths of flowers for the great day, and dishes of food that would be eaten on the beach.

       The celebration began at sunset. Many small boats with islanders and the tourists who wanted to take part, set out across the sea. The ones who didn’t participate stayed on the beach, waiting for their return. The boats were decorated with flowers and lights. In the darkness they could easily be seen, giving the night a festive air. Some of  the  lights were placed underwater on the hull of the boats giving those on board an unusual view of the fish. They sailed far, very far, with any idea of time and place forgotten. On arriving at the appointed spot the boats formed a circle and the passengers threw the wreaths of flowers into the water towards the centre, and suddenly more lights from the boats were switched on to spotlight the wreaths as they silently floated towards the centre. The school of fish was there. However, not one was caught.

On every boat a musician began to play an ancient instrument, of doubtful origin, while another sang the story of the myth. Sleep was forbidden, everybody had to stay awake so as not to be caught unawares as the ancient fishermen had been. Everyone aboard spent a sleepless night, circling the spot. At sunrise, all the lights on the boats were turned off, and they returned to the island. On the beaches there were small fires burning, which helped to fend off the chill and the humidity of the night. As soon as the boats touched the shore the feast began with vast amounts of food, local alcohol, and drinks made from local tropical fruits. The people danced until the sun was high in the sky and they could no longer move due to exhaustion and the amount imbibed. So, everyone went back to their hotels, and slept soundly till late afternoon when they got up to carry out the second part.                

After the short sleep, they dressed and put on the multi-coloured masks of fantastic fish. They climbed up to the temple, taking with them offerings of flowers, loaves, and sweets �" all in the shape of a fish. The temple had been cleaned and decorated with displays of wild flowers. The offerings were placed around the altar, with a member of the government presiding the event, duly dressed in the traditional costume: an embroidered skirt, and a shirt over which there hung many necklaces. What attracted the attention most was an enormous silver broach attached to his shirt �" in the shape of a fish.

This, the second ritual for the fish, was different from the first because it was of a more transcendental character. Later the participants dragged their feet back to their homes and hotels. The exhausted visitors were happy to go to bed. The indefatigable locals continued the festivity and finally went to bed just before dawn.



© 2012 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on January 1, 2012


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing