Fireworks

Fireworks

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

 

Chapter 14

FIREWORKS

 

Camette had joined Gus, Sonila, Mavis and Don for dinner. Everyone asked her about where Irving could be. Gus and Don made jokes about him being with another. “Bet he’s met an island woman.” And similar idiocies.

“You shouldn’t take any notice of them, they are a couple of silly old men. They only think about one thing " women!” said Sonila.

“If it goes no further than their thoughts, then there’s no harm done,” commented Camette.

“The problem is that from the thought to the action is just one step,” Sonila replied.

“Tonight there is a firework display,” Mavis changing the subject.

“How nice!” said the other two.

 

Before the firework display there was a dance and Camette had to put up with Gus and Don.

“If you don’t want to dance with them, you don’t have to. We know their hands have a habit of going everywhere,” explained Mavis.

“It’s just that at their age any woman is all right. So long as they’re attractive and willing - off they go.”

Camette didn’t see either Gus or Don as the two monsters of seduction as their wives had painted them. “They seem peaceful and kind,” she said.

“Appearances can be deceptive,” Sonila noted.

 

To Camette’s surprise, just before the firework display Amanta, Jorge, and Osman arrived.

Osman cast a look around and saw Camette. She knew there was no escape. “What a pleasant evening and how very pretty you look. Where is your friend Irving?”

“He isn’t here. He had to go out,” Camette lied to hide the fact she didn’t know where Irving was.

“Let’s dance,” Osman said taking her by an arm. Camette could hardly see his eyes behind the green lenses. He smelt of an expensive, well-known toilet water, nevertheless, Camette felt sick by his proximity to her. Amanta and Jorge seemed to be happy, and after the dance were very effusive with Camette.

Sonila felt from the look on Camette’s face that something displeased her. Neither did she like the fact that Irving wasn’t present. She wanted to warn Camette to be careful. It was too late to do anything: an explosion in the sky, lights switched off in the hotel, marked the start of the firework display. It had been set up on the opposite side of the swimming pool to give the display a double image.

Osman put an arm around Camette’s shoulders. Seeing the woman without Irving he believed he had a free run. “Are you afraid or are you cold?” he whispered in her ear.

“It’s nothing more than a headache. I’m off, good night,” Camette said almost running away. Sonila who had been observing them followed her. Osman’s face had a very disagreeable expression on it.

“Wait for me, Camette,”

Camette turned round, and seeing it was Sonila, hugged her and in tears said, “That man makes me feel sick and afraid.”

“Don’t worry. Let’s go up to your room.”

Camette couldn`t turn on the light as they had all been switched off, but by the light of the fireworks illuminating the room found the binoculars.

“Give them to me, while you go and wash your face,” said Sonila. She enjoyed using the binoculars watching Gus, Don, and Mavis behaving like big kids. She became more serious on seeing Osman, Amanta and Jorge. Something didn’t add up. Everyone else was a tourist and you could feel it in the air of uncertainty of each one. On the other hand, those three didn’t have that air, they were very sure of themselves.

“Camette, do you feel better?”

“Yes, thanks. What are you doing?”

“Have you seen what Amanta wears as a belt?”

“Yes, she’s worn it before. Today we saw one the same or very similar in the museum.”

“Is the museum interesting?”

“Not very. I have older things in my shop. The museum isn’t worth visiting. I think that the only thing interesting here is the temple.”

“Let’s go downstairs, if that ‘thing’ comes near you I’m going to give him what for,” Sonila promised.

Amanta and Jorge, each holding a glass, were standing at the exit to the garden. Sonila took the initiative, “You’re wearing a very wonderful chain, it’s a good thing it isn’t pure gold, although it looks as if it is, or someone would grab it off you.”

The odd couple exchanged a look of complicity that didn’t go unnoticed by Camette and Sonila.

“Has your headache gone?” Amanta asked Camette.

“Yes, thanks. Come on let’s go for a walk, Sonila,” said Camette dragging her friend. “D’you know what I think? That the chain Amanta’s wearing is of pure gold, but of a quality that nowadays is not seen.”

“Are you sure?” Sonila asked.

“I’d like to see it up closer, but I don’t think I’m wrong.”

 

The atmosphere after the firework display was very festive. A group was playing music and many people were dancing. Gus was with a woman he had met in the swimming pool.

“She isn’t going to be laughing so much when they play a slow piece, Gus has got very strong arms, due to lifting weights nearly all his life. He’s got the idea that women like to be crushed against a masculine chest.”

“I wouldn’t mind " with the right man!” replied Camette.

“And where is Irving tonight?”

“I don’t know. Look, Sonila, up there. There’s someone jumping from balcony to balcony.”

Camette wasn’t the only one to see the strange person, and it was difficult to tell whether it was male or female jumping the balconies. The manager and some guards went out to get hold of him. The band continued playing, and some thought that it formed part of the festivities. Camette and Sonila were walking beneath where Camette had seen him, when she observed something shining in a flower bed. She picked it up and saw it was a silver fish scale. The two women looked more closely on the ground and found quite a few.

“They look as if they are from a fancy dress,” Sonila said, turning them over in her hands.

“Someone dressed up as a fish?” asked Camette.

“Looks like someone wanting to be interesting, or silly. I’m going to keep these and tomorrow we’ll find out if there is a fancy dress shop. Or it could be a traditional costume.”



© 2012 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on July 11, 2012


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing