Plans

Plans

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

 

Chapter 25

PLANS

 

Camette looked at the calendar in her room, in a short time she would be back again in the shop. She thought about what it was that had actually pushed her to travel to the island. Antiques! She wanted to return to her daily life with something original that would attract the attention of her customers. From her first tentative efforts to get an island object and not being convinced of the authenticity of anything, she had not gone back to any of the shops. The hotel manager had told her where she would be able to find many shops in just a few streets. Freeing herself from Irving’s company, Camette  walked in the direction the manager had shown her.

The shops were small but varied in what they had to offer. They were very different from the first ones she had visited. The  streets went down towards the beach. There weren’t many people in the shops, however Camette noticed a little group at the end of the street where she was walking. Since her arrival on the island her curiosity was open at all hours, but with all the other things happening around her it was not so strange that so far she hadn’t acquired anything to show her friends or her customers as evidence of her holiday.

“Has there been an accident?” Camette asked a fat tourist she had seen at the hotel.

“Where’s your sense of smell? In your feet?” the man answered, indicating with his head. Camette pushed her way through the throng. A policeman went up to her.

“No access, Miss, the beach is being cleaned.”

Camette looked over the policeman’s shoulder and saw piles of dead fish, seaweed, rubbish from human beings, plastic bottles, bags, bits of bread, pieces of fruit. The stench was penetrating. Camette thought again how everything was related to fish and asked the policeman, “Why is it forbidden to eat fish here?”

The policeman told her, “It’s always been forbidden to eat fish. I don’t understand what’s behind your question.”

“These fish have been poisoned, haven’t they?”

“I don’t understand what you are talking about, no one poisons anyone here. They are dead, I don’t know any more than that.”

Disgusted with the replies to her questions, Camette turned round and began to look in shop windows. The sight of the dead fish wouldn’t leave her in peace, and she had a vision in her head of the drowned man dressed as a fish. Were the dead man and the dead fish somehow connected?

 

Doom had had the bright idea to organize an excursion to the museum. It was a cover up so as to be able to return with a valid excuse. This time the doctor was accompanied by a group of the tourists he had arrived on the island with, and the two intrepid couples Sonila, Gus, Don and Mavis. He wasn’t at all sure how he would be able to put up with the chatter from Sonila and Mavis. Like all men dedicated to finding out the truth, he thought the sacrifice of a few hours of peace and quiet was well worth it, if later he could unmask certain people. The noisy group of tourists got down from the bus and looked at the museum in disdain. The guide who accompanied them went into the building and a few minutes later came out with a bewildered-looking Osman. Nevertheless, he hadn’t forgotten to put on his green glasses, which for some unknown reason amused the doctor, and Sonila said, “Doctor, do you think he wears those glasses even in bed?”

Everyone around her laughed .

“Imagine that you suddenly wake up in the night and find yourself facing a pair of sunglasses on the pillow,” an excited Mavis joked rather loudly.

“Be quiet, you’re disturbing the doctor,” said Don. What no one knew was that  most of Doom’s life was spent among women, and many were like Sonila and Mavis.

The doctor went into the museum under Osman’s green gaze.

“This is a very nice occasion, having so many people visit at one time. And what is this sudden interest in the island’s antiquities due to?”

“Maybe because we are on the way to being antiques ourselves,” Sonila answered. Everyone laughed, including the doctor. On the other hand Osman opened his mouth but only a grunt came out. They entered the museum and due to the lack of anything interesting on display, Sonila and Mavis decided to explore the building itself. Sonila and Mavis, the two snoopers, went form room to room looking behind doors and through windows. Osman had his time cut out showing artefacts and answering questions from the rest, and couldn’t give the women the attention he would have liked.

 “The chain in this showcase looks like the one Amanta was wearing,” Mavis whispered.

“Something smells fishy here,” answered Sonila.

“That’s Osman, he smells very bad, as if he worked in a fishmonger’s shop.”

“Do you think he knows?” Sonila asked.

“Why? Do you want to buy him some shower gel and deodorant?”

“Be quiet! They’re coming,” Sonila said.

At that moment Osman came up to them, “Hello, I see you are having a good time in the museum. I’m sorry there aren’t more objects on view.”

“It doesn’t matter, we’re on holiday, this visit was to vary the programme a bit,” Sonila answered.

“I see that the two young people aren’t here.”

“They’ve already seen the museum,” Mavis said.

“Yes, I remember,” Osman affirmed.

“My head aches, I need some fresh air, come on,” said Sonila pulling Mavis towards the exit. Outside the building she said, “Sorry, but I couldn’t bear that smell any more, it was suffocating.”

“It’s no wonder he’s still single. The museum didn’t feel like a real one at all, it was more like a gigantic model,” commented Mavis.

“It’d be better to keep your mouth shut, it isn’t prudent to speak like that. The men are coming out. Oh, no! They’re talking to Osman, that means a long wait,” and the two women sat down on a bench.

 

Camette had informed the doctor and Irving about the dead fish on the beach. The doctor had made a plan for the two of them, such that while he was with the group in the museum, they would go to the spot where the plane had crashed. That way, with a bit of luck, the doctor would have Osman, Jorge and Amanta under control, or at least Osman.

Camette and Irving went to the spot in a Land Rover with their diving equipment in the back. Now that the plane was no longer there they wanted to go down to see if any concrete reason existed why the plane should have crashed there precisely.

Seen from the cliff top, the sea seemed to offer no danger from rocks or currents.

“Come on, Irving, hurry up,” ordered Camette, changing. Irving didn’t respond. He was looking at the sea. “We haven’t got all day! Only a couple of hours. What are you looking at?”

“I’m thinking. The water is much deeper here than anywhere else we’ve been to.”

“Are you afraid?”

“A bit, if something happened to you there under the water, I’d never forgive myself.”

“You’re mad. You haven’t spoken to me like that on the other occasions we’ve been diving. Then, I was the one who was afraid, and you no. That’s what I don’t understand.”

“On the other hand I understand him.” It was Filo with Curro who had arrived in their usual silence.

“What are you doing here? Have you been following us?” asked Camette.

“Yes, and for the same reason as always. You’re both in danger. Why are you dressed in a diving suit? Are you thinking of diving today?”

“Well, yes. That’s why we’re here with all the equipment.”

“You’re not going diving anywhere, look!” Filo said pointing, “Take the binoculars.”

Irving took the binoculars and peered through them, then gave them to Camette, “The one thing we didn’t need, Amanta and Jorge. What are they doing over there on the launch?” she asked.

“What you need to do. They are waiting for a more opportune moment. It’s very dangerous to go down now,” Filo said.

“With those two present,” said Irving, “Isn’t that what you mean?”

“Just do as I say and don’t go down.”

Irving said, “All right, we’ll do as you say, but you might tell us something about what’s going on.”

“First of all we must go to the temple.”

“And leave those two on the high seas?” screamed Camette.

“Young lady, please don’t argue with me,” Filo finished.

 

At the temple everything seemed the same as on previous occasions. Neither Irving nor Camette could possibly imagine what was awaiting them. Filo, Curro and the two young people sat down on the floor behind the large stele. The islander began to speak.

“To begin with I’m Osman’s  brother.” On receiving no reaction from his listeners, he asked them, “You had guessed, isn’t that it?”

“Yes, it is. When you put on your glasses in the ‘Pink Paradise’ was the moment I saw the resemblance,” Irving answered.

“I did it deliberately to attract your attention. I see I was successful. Very well, I’ll carry on with my story. My brother is one of the few islanders who has higher education. That gave him an air of eminency, making him believe that he was above the rest of the islanders. On travelling away from the island he realised how poor we are and resuscitated the myth of the sacred fire fish, that had become something very pretty but nothing else.”

“Does the myth exist or is it a fabrication?” Irving asked.

“The myth is authentic, it hasn’t been invented recently to attract tourists. What happened to Osman usually happens to covetous people, in order to have fame and fortune they will use any means to get them.”

“What happened to him?” asked Camette.

“He met Amanta and Jorge. Sometimes I wonder if my brother is right in the head.”

“You still haven’t told us anything important, nor the relationship between Matina, the drowned man and the other three,” Irving said.

“That piece of tanned leather and the dead man are friends of Amanta and Jorge. The deceased worked in a circus.”

“I suppose he was a trapeze artist or one of those who blow out flames from their mouths,” commented Irving.

“That I don’t know,” Filo answered.

Curro pointed out to them that the centre stone was turning just like the other time. Amanta and Jorge came out dressed in diving suits. They boarded a vehicle outside the temple area and drove off.

“This time we are going down, you’ve got the equipment and the suits,” Filo said, changing without any preamble, and the other two did the same. “Curro will stay up here, just in case of difficulties.”

Filo, with firm hands turned the central stone, until it opened. Irving, Camette and Filo passed down in that order from the temple area to submerge themselves in the waters that were underneath. Filo put the central stone back in its place so as not to attract attention and joined up with the other two. Beneath the temple there was not a bit of light. It was total darkness. They switched on their dive lights, to see that they found themselves in a large room with rock for walls. Filo made a sign for them to follow him. They were all in a corner, Filo found a handle and turned it. A small opening appeared and the three entered. And from this to another chamber. This last chamber hid the island’s terrible secret. With just one glance they saw enough to understand the danger in which they found themselves if the married couple should return. They went back the same way they had gone down until they found the entrance.

 

At dinner time the two married couples were speaking about the museum and what they were going to do that evening. The doctor was in his room to listen to music to put him in a good mood. He had made two special efforts: the first to be pleasant to the ladies and the second to investigate the museum. He had had little success with the second. The museum and its contents was as poor as they looked or Osman was a very clever man. The doctor got out his little statue of the mother goddess Coatlicue and thought that Osman was death and Filo life; they had shown themselves to be so by their individual behaviour. And so? It was an insignificant fact. Without even having dinner, the doctor switched off the music and fell asleep.

 

Irving said to Camette and Filo, “We should tell the doctor what we have seen .”

This piece of news didn’t please Camette, and so she said, “Why do we have to tell him everything?”

“Because he’s an intelligent man and he has helped a lot,” Irving answered.

“He looks conceited to me.”

“Just because he takes no notice of you,” Irving said.

Filo had gone up to their hotel rooms to know what their plans were for the night ahead. Curro had stayed in the van.

“Why don’t you change your clothes and have dinner in my house. I know that Liana would be pleased to see you again, especially you Irving.”

“I won’t keep you waiting. I’ll be ready in a shot. I fancy the idea of having dinner away from this swarm,” Camette said as she hurried to her room.

“I’ll ring the doctor now on the hotel phone. Irving dialled the number of the doctor’s room. He took quite a while to answer and it was impossible to hide the tone of tiredness in his voice, “Hello.”

 “Doctor, it’s me, Irving. Camette and I are going to have dinner in Filo’s house. We’ll speak in the morning if that’s all right with you.”

“It sounds fine to me. I’m not in the mood to converse tonight. Have a good time,” and hung up.

Irving showered and changed his clothes rapidly, and soon the three were in the van with Curro and on their way to Filo’s house.

Liana couldn’t believe her eyes on seeing the two young people. As the doctor wasn’t there she put all her interest in Irving. This didn’t go unnoticed, neither by Filo nor Camette. Curro went to bed and Filo opened a cupboard and brought out some boxes and placed them on the dining-table, saying to Irving and Camette,  “What do you prefer the television or my collections?”

“Your collections,” answered Camette.

“I don’t want to see them and neither do you, come with me,” said Liana, taking hold of Irving’s hand and leading him outside. Filo had collections of fossils from the bottom of the sea, semi-precious stones and shells of all types and sizes.

“How have you managed to get such varied and pretty collections?” Camette asked him.

“I started when I was Curro’s age and I’ve kept it up more or less continuously. Fancy a drink?”

“Fruit juice, please,” Camette answered. Filo served himself a beer and fruit juice for her.

“Where are Liana and Irving?” asked Camette.

“They’re outside having a chat,” answered Filo.

“How do you know?”

“I’m sure, because Liana hasn’t come in to watch her favourite on television.”

“I didn’t know that your daughter and Irving were such good friends.”

“Liana is a widow, she’s young and alone. She cured Irving and that counts for a lot. She has always liked him. Are you jealous?”

“No, of course not! Frankly I can’t see me with a man who wears a shark’s tooth round his neck and an elephant hair bracelet on his wrist.”

Filo laughed to himself on hearing Camette’s words. Suddenly a window blew open making them both jump. Filo got up and bolted the blinds and shut the window. During the short time the window was open powerful gusts could be heard clearly. Camette trembled with fear and cold. Filo went from room to room closing windows and doors. Irving and Liana had scuttled back into the kitchen.

“Both of you will have to spend the night here, I wouldn’t dare take you back to the hotel in such a storm as this.”

“The climate here is very changeable. Well, we can watch television or play something,” commented Camette.

Filo put a pack of cards on the table and the two spent two hours playing. Then Filo made up a bed for Camette on the sofa. “Tomorrow we’ll speak to the doctor. Good night. If you need anything call me, I am at your disposal.”

“Thank you, it’s very kind of you. I don’t think I’ll annoy you during the night.”

“That’s OK.”

 

Doom woke up when the telephone rang. It was Irving, telling him that he had some urgent news to tell him. They agreed to meet some time the following day at the little quay where Filo kept his boat.

The doctor’s face didn’t reflect any disquiet on receiving the reports of the other three. Irving’s friend had already warned him about the immediate dangerous situation on the island. And now they were confirming it. He knew he would have to go under the sea one more time. The visit to the museum had given him the pleasure that he had upset Osman and the couple’s plans. One more glance at the objects in the showcases had convinced him that they weren’t the best examples of treasure recovered from shipwrecks. The caves had been deleted from the map at the very places that an islander or a tourist would find interesting. Why?

The doctor had come to the conclusion that there was one thing that had to remain undisclosed.

Irving was explaining in detail everything they had discovered at the temple. It was worse, much worse, than Doom had assumed.

“We are in great danger. Even the tourists who have only come for their holiday. My brother and his friends have gone mad and one way or another we have to stop them,” Filo said looking at them uneasily.

Irving asked, “How are we going to persuade the rest in the hotel that their lives are in danger?”

“And tell them they can’t stay in the hotel while the danger lasts?” the doctor added.

“That’s easy,” answered Camette. “Sonila is no problem when it comes to being afraid. The poor woman has been mistrustful ever since she stepped on the island. And Mavis is similar. So you see, if these two are convinced, the rest will soon follow suit.”

“And the men?” asked Filo.

“The majority are husbands or boyfriends of the women and they’ll go where they are taken,” Camette said.

“I congratulate you all. You have shown a true understanding of humanity. We have to make a plan to prevent the worst. Do you all agree?” the doctor asked.

The three said, “Yes.”

“Tonight we are going to set it in motion. You, Filo, will go down the central stone in the temple. Irving you’re going to return to the cave, alone this time. I’ll go down in the swimming pool and enter from where the dead man appeared. All the routes lead to the vital organ of the evildoers. Camette and Liana will have to prepare the people who are most willing to collaborate in getting everybody to leave the hotel, including the staff, because the swimming pool could go up in smoke, and take them to the place where they watched the plane being lifted out of the sea, and hide there with the essentials: food, drink, and protection against the cold night air.”

“Has this plan got a name, like in the films?” asked Irving.

“Why don’t we call it ‘Operation Clean-up’?” suggested the doctor.

“Where will Curro be?” asked Filo.

“With Liana and Camette. What we’re going to do is not for women or children,” said the doctor, without looking at Camette.



© 2012 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on January 1, 2012


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing