Never Ending Call

Never Ending Call

A Story by Gianna Anaya
"

Progression of a responder

"

At 6 years old; Everyone wants to be a firefighter, or at least I did. When those big suited men walked up to me and gave me a sticker badge my name was erased and I became a firefighter. No more playing football, or flying to the moon, I didn't need to play pretend with the other kids because I knew who I was going to be. When I turned 15 and I got to join my heroes amidst the chaos of swirling lights and blaring sirens my world felt right. My home became a temporary bed, a family of strangers, and music was tone’s dropping at four a.m.

At 18 I answered my own questions. I answered everyone's questions, I answered the questions no one thought to ask. But most importantly, when my mother called me asking why my text sounded off, I couldn't tell her it was because I couldn't stop the bleeding; I couldn't tell her in fear that she would no longer be proud of her son. When I looked in the mirror the shine of my first day was gone, my dreams became reality and I no longer felt unstoppable.

At 21 I had seen more on my days and nights then anyone should see in their entire life. I saw decomposition, mutilation, violence, and loss as the limits of my city, and the people in it turned into individual time bombs I was required to keep from imploding. I became addicted to the thought of cheating death so much that the people I couldn't save turned into a race I didn't finish in time. The pain dulled, and my heart became as cold as a fire in the middle of December.

Now, at the age of 60, my bones no longer comply to my requests and I have come to terms with the fact that one day my young protégés will bust down my doors and attempt to put my crumbling heart back together. When I go, I pray the arms of those I couldn't save hold me as I bear the weight of my failures. When I close my eyes for the last time, I pray the CPR is unsuccessful for I have cheated death far too many times and I am tired of running a never ending call. When I die, I will find relief when the sirens stop. My dreams will leave with me, and when the lights dim, I can rest, knowing I had a good run, it’s time to hang up my number.

*Unit #395 off duty, signing off, thank you, and goodbye*

© 2017 Gianna Anaya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on November 25, 2017
Last Updated on November 25, 2017
Tags: firefighter, first responder, coming of age, EMT

Author

Gianna Anaya
Gianna Anaya

About
I write the world that exists around me; I write the world I wish existed around me; I write the world I hope no one ever has to witness; above all I write the corners of my brain that I simple can't .. more..

Writing
Guilt Guilt

A Story by Gianna Anaya