Intro to Basic

Intro to Basic

A Story by Gianna Anaya

Welcome to the army son! 

Now that you’ve made it this far we have some basic rules for you to abide by, and you better damn well follow them while you’re in the home of Uncle Sam himself wearing the symbol of the free; the beautiful American flag. 

First you’re going to need to relinquish all connections with family unless they're blood, IMMEDIATELY. I’ve had enough heartbroken wives cry on my shoulder when I tell them you’re not coming home and to be honest my uniform is soaked with those salty tears! Second, I’m gonna need that wallet from your pocket soldier because this ID? Confiscated, here’s a dog tag; When you die and the wars over we’re just gonna use you as a number to add to the statistic; no one wants to know your name, ask the fallen before you. 

First piece of knowledge I'll give you, from here on out you will be constantly living alongside your brothers in arms. Now Strip that shirt off son! There’s no privacy in the army d****t! When you lay in the bunk below your new found best friend you two will get so close that when he hits the ground with a bullet between his eyes you’ll feel the pain before he hits the cold earth do you hear me?  I don’t want blood on this new shirt son, not enough money in your wallet to wash out the sin. If by some miracle you make it out alive I’ll give you this back, it’s your innocence, you’ll be so recked in the head boy that you’ll just turn back into a goddamn child again, rocking back and forth on your dads lap crying for him to stop the bleeding, to pause the gunshots, to breath for you, but this isn’t a nightmare you live through. The only people who really make it home from war are the one in the coffins so say goodbye to that reflection you think you recognize in the mirror. Survivors don’t look good on tv unless they’re white and Rich. Sorry son but whether you make it out, dead or alive, we’re not gonna give a f**k what demons you face. This is war, now drop and give me 20, we’ll work that fear out of your eyes yet. 

And above all else remember you signed up for this.  

© 2018 Gianna Anaya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on January 11, 2018
Last Updated on January 25, 2018
Tags: military, war, trauma, cost of war, soldier

Author

Gianna Anaya
Gianna Anaya

About
I write the world that exists around me; I write the world I wish existed around me; I write the world I hope no one ever has to witness; above all I write the corners of my brain that I simple can't .. more..

Writing
Guilt Guilt

A Story by Gianna Anaya