Perspective and Perpetual Distraction

Perspective and Perpetual Distraction

A Poem by Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

What do you feel, when you look out

of a clear window -- a glass door -- 

and the moon is suspended low in the sky:

             orange hazed face coaxing

            sunset to an abrupt crescendo?

 

For me it is only a flash in time -- a snapshot --

that becomes a memory, as quickly as it was real:

            filed away under experience,

            or the heading of future imagery.

 

Sometimes I worry that I cannot love a thing deeply enough,

because I see a wicker basket of details in everything --

 

            faces are fragments of expression, Willows are inkblots

            upon twilight’s feathered seam, the curvature of night is 

            an opaque curtain embellished with backlit diamonds.

 

For just one day I want to borrow your eyes --

to see the world from the other side -- with perspective -- 

blind to everything except what reads as a whole:

            I want to see only purple,

            not varying degrees of mulberry and wine.

 

© 2013 Girl Friday (Sarah W.)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lovely gorgeous words in this piece, very elaborate :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


I also can so relate to this. In the moment, we are part of it. As soon as I start to think of capturing it somehow I am now a recorder; and out of the picture. So many things are worth recording one can not count them. The ironic contrast I read in the last verse makes me wonder if your poem begs to see what God sees?? or is it the frustration of being overwhelmed with such beauty?..your poem is successful, says i, because at least for a while, i will set myself to ponder perspective and take note of distractions. Wonderfully said Friday Girl :)
E.

Posted 10 Years Ago


When you are worried about some moment passing away just remember that with proper manipulation you can turn that moment into a lifetime by religiously recreating it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I have to laugh at the last lines...
We can frustrate our own lives when we complicate things... Yet, it is just how we wee the world. It would be a blessing to have a simple view of things from time to time... Alas, I fear I know you too well already to hold any hope that the microcosms of life will not hold your attention as long as you live.
A very fine poem Sarah.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"Sometimes I worry that I cannot love a thing deeply enough,
because I see a wicker basket of details in everything --

AMAZING!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is something, I think I have fellow feeling with you tonight, as the sun has just set and the sky is set in tones of deep hues, like fine wines, and juicy summer berries, faint tinges orange that hint at some kind of tropical locale, and yet here I am in my little condo, the leaves of the Larch trees, planted a few years ago to replace the more gracious Liquid Ambers,(Isn't that the loveliest name for a tree?) and glimmers of light being cast across the room and briefly, like fireflies, winking out. I appreciate the idea of the use of color in the first and last stanzas, but found the last two lines of the first stanza to be the weakest part of poem, in my view. I think I would have cast the colors in a different palette, rather than think of the sun dying in a blaze of gold and lighting the moon on fire, twilight immersing the full harvest moon in a pale silver gold light like a jewel. A sort of science related factoid, that maybe only I have experienced, is that when you have a deeply colored orange to red Harvest moon, it is due to pollution in the sky, not the sun setting, and that Moon is only seen after the sun has set. That is just me, lol. I didn't publish a book, you did.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautiful wishes Dear Friday!!! And a Wonderful Write-I just used Wicker baskets in a write about my Daughter...I Love the snapshots here. so very many!!!

this was my favorite:
faces are fragments of expression, Willows are inkblots
upon twilight’s feathered seam, the curvature of night is
an opaque curtain embellished with backlit diamonds.
Beautiful that:)

And well far as details...wicker baskets and all...after awhile You earn the right to be persnickety---well dammnit we do don't we...flaws are easily seen in many after You watch life and how people carry themselves within it...to look at someone and know what they are about character wise--well...it's an art...and part of the higher mind...and part lifes teachings...many cant do it....I don't see it as incapable of love...I see it as defensiveness because the mind or minds eye can foresee some of the pitfalls that would materialize out of time spent with whatever person...so it becomes again-self preservation....depth of giving on the other hand...well...it's just gotta be one You know it can be done with. Such folks are elusive...but that doesn't mean You wont ever...timing and chance...tis how it works...but always believe in Yourself Wonderful Poet!!! Love this read!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Great work. This poem really spoke to me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's so beautifully written and it so wonderfully creates great imagery! Fantastic work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautiful imagery as always :) keep writing!! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2142 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 28, 2013
Last Updated on August 28, 2013

Author

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

The Beach, CA



About
"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski A NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you, everyone, who has supported me so kindly on this site. I am humbled by your kind revie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..