Killing Jar

Killing Jar

A Poem by Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

the only way around it

is to seal myself inside the killing jar --

cotton ball soaked in ether and mislaid words,

until my worried wings go quiet and my eyes

     my ocean eyes     heavy-lidded, see for the first time

 

because I can find them in that place,

(where after meets before) the poems that have sank

like lockless keys to the bottom of my brain,

stitched too tightly these days to just let go

 

when I transform,

my pigments will be more dynamic,

and my lines will cut sharp as scalpel blades

through the tender flesh of this life until it cracks,

     fractures like an eggshell     releasing the sun

© 2013 Girl Friday (Sarah W.)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good poem, Sarah. Now, for some of my usual nonsense... The cause of those mislaid words? I think there's (possibly) an alien mind-dampening field surrounding the planet. It is keeping "sensitive" people from sensing and experiencing with their usual acumen. It's probably a prelude to some form of invasion. Perhaps they'll turn it off soon - so we can experience the full effect of their Shock-&-Awe campaign. The poets will be the first to be thrown "...inside the killing jar"; easy pickings too. They'll see them in the dark. Self-illuminated from the glow - ooze from those mind "...cracks, fractures like an eggshell releasing the sun."


Posted 10 Years Ago


Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

I think you may be on to something here... those aliens are a clever bunch. :)
You are and do all these things without that ole' killing jar. I am more amazed every time I set read on your page! Your writing is elegant and precise. I always want to smooth my skirt and sit up straighter when I read out loud your inklings.When I finish one of your treasures..I always say one day I'll have that much talent!

Posted 10 Years Ago


How I wish I was this particular bug or person right now. But hey, an interesting take on bug killing and killing jars used in science classes. I never liked the idea of them since I thought they were cruel and hated putting the bug in and slowly watch it suffer. I loved the imagery you used and descriptions! Beautiful :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is definitely different my friend. It comes at me roaring of heavy weighted thoughts and releases me from it's grasp as I too descend to the bottom of this page. Visiting the inner self, that one we keep to store the crumbs of our creativity, can often be an exciting adventure. For it is there we will find what we have been missing in small piles upon the floor. With dust pan and brush in hand we collect, with tender sweeps, our ideas that at an earlier time had been disgarded. Very cool Sarah.

Posted 10 Years Ago



4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1715 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 23, 2013
Last Updated on October 23, 2013

Author

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

The Beach, CA



About
"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski A NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you, everyone, who has supported me so kindly on this site. I am humbled by your kind revie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..