60 Minutes From Sunrise

60 Minutes From Sunrise

A Poem by Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

in metaphor you are perfection -

careless eyes cast down a narrow nose,

the hipsters would call you cool, but

I cannot seem to call you at all     anymore

 

some days I wonder if you are a delusion,

a hybrid creation of cross pollination

inside the mossy moorlands of my psychosis

 

but I am quite sure that one day you existed,

somewhere outside of me, because

I remember fragments of top-down drives,

lost scarves along the Pacific Coast Highway,

and moonlight     entire beaches glowing

with madness the color of hand-dipped starlight

 

you wear my words well     these days,

lines like tailored sport coats and jeans,

syllables giving texture to a phantom’s voice,

     this-is-forever, you said,

until it wasn’t, but I can still draw your smile

60 minutes from sunrise, between Castor and Pollux,

and that has to be enough     for now

© 2013 Girl Friday (Sarah W.)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'ts always so great to read your work, truly inspiring

Posted 10 Years Ago


A beautiful look back at what was... I felt as though I was there, watching this love story unfold - entire beaches glowing with madness the color of hand-dipped starlight..(sigh). So much beauty in your words, and emotion.
this is forever, you said,
until it wasn't...(wow)
I am blown away by your talent.
:) Julie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Incredibly formed words, more than, worn by emotions quite complicated, intense. But beautiful, truly beauitiful. Maybe we fool ourselves about the people we love, want and need, but the wondering and pain is part of being.

' .. entire beaches glowing ~ with madness the color of hand-dipped starlight..'

Oh yes! You write with what seems to be every pore, tear, blink.. and more..

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oh Sarah, been there and sometimes still am. Another wonderful story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Reality is rarely as perfect as metaphor, Sarah. Hopefully the torch this speaker is carrying can be passed on to the next runner soon. Excellent poetry.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love the first line. I've never ever thought of an individual line this way before, but this sounds like something that could open a million poems on a million different subjects. I feel loneliness and loss in this piece, and an attempt to reconcile it as much as possible. In any event, I found myself relating deeply to this one. You are amazing at capturing specific scenes and a character's place within them. Well done as always my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Once again a splendid piece, keep it up.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Well, this is different. I like it - a lot. I guess the note that resonated the most was the memories of driving along the PCH; Santa Monica, Long Beach, RPV and all points 50 miles north and south of LA. Of course those days of carefree madness are long gone but as with yours - not forgotten. Nicely done, Sarah. Nicely done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sarah, once again you thrill me. I find when I read your work I am transported to the seat next to you, somewhere in your mind. I could see the glowing beaches, feel the wind in my hair, hear the words of forever and then collect the tears that I cried finding it was not. I stepped out of that car with you and looked ahead, counting the steps into the future and painting that smile, that was so adored, once more in the mind. Thank you for this mini vacation this morning.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

You are much too kind, Jack, but I'm always happy to take you on a joyride :)
The in between times in life are when we look back and anticipate the forward. I love the image of the scarf billowing like a knight's banner under hand dipped starlight. You turn a phrase like no other and I enjoying taking my poet's trowel and digging for the meaning that lies beneath your exquisitely crafted lines.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, my friend :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2272 Views
42 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 25, 2013
Last Updated on October 25, 2013

Author

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

The Beach, CA



About
"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski A NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you, everyone, who has supported me so kindly on this site. I am humbled by your kind revie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..