Like a Dream

Like a Dream

A Story by Albatross
"

"

     There was a dull, ambiguous feeling to the room. Like it wasn’t really there, like it didn’t exist. Truly, I had thought that such a room couldn’t exist. I stood, grounded, staring. The columns rose above me, disappearing into the darkness like some eternal secret. I stared at the thick, twisted vines winding their way up into that mysterious receding blackness. There was no fathomable ceiling, no seeming end to the cracked marble floors. The gloomy lights emanating from some unseen force only created a deeper cast of shadows, the kind of shadows your worst nightmares seemed lurk and fester in, nightmares that would lunge at you as soon as you turned your back. Sometimes I felt them, clutching at my t-shirt, tugging my sleeves. I was trapped in this.. this prison, trapped in the very concept of space. Unimaginable, incomprehensible space.

     I felt myself take a step, a small, little stride in no particular direction. Suddenly a whole other world appeared before my eyes, shocking me, my senses. I could smell, smell the beaded dew drops I saw hanging over the green, green grass like millions of studded, glimmering diamonds. I could smell the flowers, the yellow and blue and red scented hues of the vast prairie sweeping before me. I could smell the grey, cloudy dusk settling just above the ground, kissing the brush and the daisies and the grass as the wind entwined them all in a hazy, surrealistic dance.  I was afraid to close my eyes, afraid to breath. The beauty and enchantment that lay before me emblazoned itself into my mind.

     The thing that impressed itself most upon me was the profound, heavy silence. There was ne’er a rustle in the grass, not a bird singing. I looked about me, and as I turned my head I caught sight of a figure over the flat, beautiful, flowery plains. It was coming closer, and still I heard nothing. I watched it fade into view through the hazy dusk, becoming more and more visible, like an apparition in a dream. It was a man.

     He was tall, remarkably so. His eyes glittered out of his dark, rugged, handsome face. His hair was a dirty blond, sweeping over his features in the same wild, untamed way as the grass that surrounded us. He beckoned to me, silent all the while. I stared at him, afraid. Afraid of moving, else I disappear again into some strange world. Afraid of penetrating the prevalent, overbearing silence. Afraid of this stranger who had interrupted my quiet reverie.

     Again he beckoned to me, his eyes shining their encouragement. His face crinkled into a smile. I hesitated in his looming presence. He stepped toward me, frowning slightly, reaching. I stepped back.

     It felt like thunder, crashing. Crashing against me, my ears, my face, into my mouth, all around me. I struggled, spitting and coughing, my lungs fighting against a salty wet tyrant. The ocean enveloped me, crashing over me like ferocious, angry, smothering arms. I struggled to stay afloat, struggled and drowned, suffocated, my hands and legs faltering. And then I crashed.

     I awakened on the hot, sticky sand, the water washing smoothly over me before rushing back into the sea like a shy, frightened child to his mother. I raised my head, the sand clinging to my face and hair. I saw nothing.

     As I swept my gaze over the sandy, barren beach, I stood, wondering at what I had done to deserve this. The sand seemed opalescent in the scorching rays of a merciless sun. Water ran up and down to the side. The sand stretched forever on the other, with only the occasional shadow scarring the otherwise flawlessly white, glittering expanse. I knew then that I wanted out. I did not want to die, dehydrated, tearless, mindless, in a desert. I took a step. I expected disorientation, another shock to my senses, I expected another world to open before me.

     Nothing happened.

     I took another. Still nothing.

     I felt trapped. I was trapped.

     I turned towards the water, running alongside it, hoping, wishing that something, anything would happen. I ran and ran, I ran till my breath was ragged, and then I walked, walked until my legs gave out. And then I crawled, crawled because I was desperate, because I was afraid. Scared. Frightened. Finally, I lay down at the side of the glittery, cool water and watched the empty sky. I stared into the penetrating, crystalline blue until my eyes closed from the overwhelming exhaustion that enclosed me.

     It was dark. Black. Heartless. I could see nothing, feel nothing, hear absolutely nothing. It was numb.

     And suddenly it was light.

     A dim, slow light, moving methodically from side to side. It grew brighter. Suddenly, the room exploded into my vision, as if I had been suddenly awakened. I felt dazed, confused. I had been asleep. Why? Where was I?

     “Jaimie?”

     I looked over into his dazzling, beautiful face and smiled.

     “Don’t get up. Everyone’s already here.” He said, grinning and taking my hand. I sensed their presence, heard they’re voices chattering happily to me. Then I suddenly remembered. I looked at the ceiling in my hospital room and thanked my Maker I was here.

     “How did I do?”

     The room fell silent, hushed. I looked over at my fiancé, scrutinizing his face for an answer.

     “Well.. There were complications.”

     I felt a chill go down my spine, suddenly angry, then hurt, then curious.

     “What kind of complications?”

     I could hear their feet shuffling, clothes rustling as they elbowed each other, prompting for someone to answer my question. It was my mother.

     “You’ve been in a coma for three months.”

     I heard a quiet cough from someone, probably my brother. Three months. Three whole months. My wedding day, college graduation, my sister's baby, all fluttered about urgently in my mind as alarms rang and the shock sunk in. I had missed all that. I raised my head, looking at my family in wonder, staring at all their faces.

     “But I’m alright..?”

     The faces exploded into smiles as my family laughed together. My mother jumped to kiss me, as she did I felt my fiance’s firm grasp pumping my hand. I literally felt the mood skyrocket as a chorus of “yes’s” and “of course!” finally greeted my question.

     “Did you dream?” My sister, toting a very large, fussy blanket in her arms, suddenly asked. The room fell silent.

     I thought about it, straining my imagination. Their faces turned towards me expectantly.

     “No..”

© 2010 Albatross


Author's Note

Albatross
All the doubts, worry, trials, joys, fantasies.. finally awakening into one reality. Life.
Tell me what you think..?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was beautifully written, honestly some of the stories I've read make me regret reading them, but yours was, just mind boggling and wonderful, there is no better way I can think of than spending my time than reading this. Really. I can't write stories for crap, so I admire people like you who've got some major talent in this area. Great write.
-Cathrine

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It just keeps getting better and better!!



Posted 13 Years Ago


The power of this piece stems from the attention to vital cognitive processes a mortal crisis can provoke.

The strange reality of the coma dream, and the reawakening into consensus reality put the emphasis on perception, and all the classic referents, "We are such stuff as dreams are made on/and our little lives are rounded with a sleep" by the Bard, and the Hindu idea of the Kosmos as the dream of godhead, Brahman, as well.

The cognitive state of your protagonist is bardo-like transitional. We usually associate that w/dreams, comas, fugue-states, near-death experiences, the afterlife. The mystics tell us this is ALSO the condition of our "normal" lives.

Your piece is powerful on its own graphic visual and realistic terms and summons all the associations w/this archetypal consideration: The Dreaming. And that's without even considering the addition of tech-spawned virtual reality!


Posted 13 Years Ago


wow...wonderfully written...you kept me entranced though the whole story. I'm so torn...I'd love to see this expanded upon...but yet...you have done such an amazing job already...I'd fear it would not hold the punch it does currently....bravo

Posted 13 Years Ago


i really loved reading this i was intrigued the whole time, you do a good job at writing :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was excellent. Your descriptions, your imagery is unfortunately quite easy for the reader to experience. They are beautiful, ugly, terrible, and breathtaking. I was going to quote my favorite passage, perhaps just say what part I liked the most, until I realized that I couldn't decide. They were all my favorites. It was solid, consistent, and simply incredible. There were two mistakes that I saw:
*lunge
*sister's

Thanks for the read, and for writing it. Very well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was beautifully written, honestly some of the stories I've read make me regret reading them, but yours was, just mind boggling and wonderful, there is no better way I can think of than spending my time than reading this. Really. I can't write stories for crap, so I admire people like you who've got some major talent in this area. Great write.
-Cathrine

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love it. :) The beginning of this reminded me of Edgar Allan Poe, in a way...could have just been me imagining that though, I do so love his work and I love yours as well. I love love love reading your stories! Keep writing :) This was excellent!

Posted 13 Years Ago


mam you know what stop penning down poems cause we love reading your stories .. the attention to detail that you pitch in with just makes me wonder if you have scripted an entire novel or something similar in the past ?

since the protagonist was in a dream , the sudden changes in the whole set up is justified .. just wonder - who was the man she saw !

eager to read more :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

633 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2010
Last Updated on July 4, 2010

Author

Albatross
Albatross

CA



About
I don’t write stories. I write moments. I write moments because they are all that make a life. Moments are what give people both joy and sorrow and humanity. Moments address our deepest emotions.. more..

Writing
Adrenaline Adrenaline

A Story by Albatross


Stargazing Stargazing

A Story by Albatross


Victim Victim

A Story by Albatross



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..