Chapter 12- Caius Ashfall

Chapter 12- Caius Ashfall

A Chapter by Cynical_Art

Chapter 12

 

Caius Ashfall

 

 

            Practicing the art of living for yourself was proving to be a harder task than finding love. Each step of the way, Caius was haunted with more guilt and fear. There was a voice of regret constantly screaming in his ear but he knew there was no turning back at this point. He had made his choice, and with it dug his grave. Liana Veritas would be his tonight, every inch of her perfect body, and not Charles or anyone else would stop him from that.

            Getting Liana outside of the house proved easier than expected. Neither the servants nor the Black Coats even as much as questioned him when he said there was some place he and the Lady needed to be. Liana claimed to have informed her kids. Caius wondered how many would talk once the real Master of the house returned.

            Once outside it was much less nerve wracking. Liana was wearing a violet dress with a matching hat and veil covering her face. Caius was in his usual attire, all in black for the exception of a gold vest. They were both inside a carriage with the curtains closed so no could see them, not that Caius was even afraid of that. He imagined no one knew what Liana looked like at a glance given she spent the majority of her time inside, and he was less a figure of note.

            The carriage stopped at an inn Caius was well acquainted with, known for its discretion, in the Moon District. His room had already been paid for in advance so as soon as the Owner saw them he gave them the key and directed them to their room. It was surprisingly romantic, at least for Caius’s standards. The bed was large with red translucent curtains surrounding it. There was a table with a candle in the center, two empty glasses, and two chairs, surrounded by roses. The room had no windows but the walls were highly decorated with paintings giving it a rich look.

            Liana removed her hat and veil, placing it on the bed, and took a seat by the table. “I must admit,” she said. “I was not expecting this. I didn’t expect you to invest so much into this evening. I was under the impression that your only interest was between my legs.”

            Caius pulled out a bottle of wine from one of the cabinets. “I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t my main goal for the day. But there are some things I’d like to discuss with you before we do the deed.”

            She gazed at him puzzled as he poured them both a drink. “What more could you possibly want to discuss? There’s not much to me aside from my marriage to Charles. You forget, today is the first time I’ve stepped outside the manor in years.”

            Caius took a seat across from her. “That’s just it. I don’t believe that’s truly the case.”

            Liana took a sip of her wine. “And why is that?”

            “Let’s not kid ourselves, you don’t like me. The only reason you’re choosing to f**k me today is to get outside the house.”

            Liana was appalled. “Do I look like a w***e to you? You think I sell my body for a breath of fresh air?”

            Caius finished his drink in one gulp and poured himself another one. “Yes, I do. As I was informing the servants at your home of our departure, something struck me as rather odd. For people who have been assisting Charles to keep you locked inside for years, they were almost too willing, or rather, accepting of you suddenly being allowed outside. And all without their Master’s reassurance.”

            “Well, my husband did put you in charge upon his leave.”

            “You’re right, except, then I suddenly recalled my first day at your humble home. After Charles left, when I went to look for you that day, you were already on your way out somewhere. Interesting considering this morning you claimed the servants needed my word in order for you to leave the manor.”

            Liana finished her glass and suddenly she had the same b***h expression from the first day. “You’re a rather observant dog. Since we’re being honest let me ask you this, are you here to arrest me or f**k me?”

            Caius filled her glass again. “Believe me, I intend to f**k you before the day is done. I just figured, since I’ll probably die once Charles returns, I might as well have some ease of mind.”

            “Finally living for yourself, I see.”

            “I have you to thank for that. Now back to the main topic at hand. How did you manage it? How did you manage to take control of all of Charles’s servants in a way that not even he could notice?”

            Liana chugged her drink again. “Would it bring you so much satisfaction to hear me say it?”

            Caius finished his drink and refilled both their cups. “I was hoping you might have a different answer.”

            “Sorry to disappoint you. A woman only has so many weapons.”

            “Charles would be thrilled. At least it gives me reassurance my life may not yet be forfeit.” He took a sip of his wine. “Moving on to my next curiosity. What could possibly be outside that makes it all worth it? I’ve seen the world for what it is, a beautiful cage seems the much better life.”

            “Perhaps if the cage had everything I needed.”

            “What more could you want?”

            She finished her drink in one gulp again. “I’ve already told you. God.”

            “Maybe you haven’t noticed, but we’re not in church.”

She stood up and slammed the bottle of wine, the candle, and both their glasses to the floor with her arm. “I didn’t come here to get interrogated, Caius. Let’s finish what we came for and get this over with.”

            Caius smirked. “I didn’t think you’d still be so willing.”

            “You may be the most annoying person I’ve known in years but for what it’s worth you’re easy on the eyes.” She reached below her dress and lifted it up as she took a seat on Caius’s lap. He made little effort to resist as their lips touched once again. She pulled away. “And despite being a terrible liar, there’s a certain genuineness to admire about you.” She kissed him again, the sweet taste and aroma from her hair instantly making him harden. His hands grasped her waist and pulled her in closer. Suddenly he felt a deep sting enter the back of his neck. Liana removed herself from his lap immediately after. “But your loyalties simply run too deep.”

            Liana took three steps back; on her hand was a syringe. Caius felt his hand automatically search for the point of injection. Poison! Dark shadows started filling his vision as Liana’s beauty started to become a blur. As he tried to stand he collapsed unto the floor, every muscle in his body becoming tenser by the second.

            “You…the flowers…it was you,” he struggled to say.

            “For a second there I thought you had me figured out. You saw all the signs and yet you refused to see the truth. Truly, you flatter me. The worst part is, I did like you. Unfortunately, you’re just too good at your job and you can never really trust a Shadow.” She knows! No, she’s always known…

             “You…you and Charles…the Moon…” And the darkness fell in. 



© 2013 Cynical_Art


Author's Note

Cynical_Art
What are your thoughts on what just happened? What do you think Liana's true purpose is? Do you pity Caius?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay, I did not see that coming. And yes, I do pity Caius. Although, if Loans didn't try and kill him, Charles might have done it later. XD I liked this chapter and can't wait to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Cynical_Art

11 Years Ago

I had been curious to know if you would pity Caius this far in. I like to place my characters in deb.. read more
Dark Rider

11 Years Ago

Well, he really hasn't done anything wrong. Liana didn't help his situation that much either, so he .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

443 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2013
Last Updated on February 5, 2013
Tags: fantasy, Religion, science-fiction, family, death, betrayal, sex, war, conspiracies, characters, love, psychological, development, God, hierarchy, order, cynical, victorian

God's Requiem


Author

Cynical_Art
Cynical_Art

New York, NY



About
I am 21 years old, I got my Bachelors in Science Degree when I was 19. My career profession is computer animation (I am an Environment Modeler, for those that follow the profession) but I love to writ.. more..

Writing