The thing in the mirror.

The thing in the mirror.

A Poem by Mimi

What is that thing in the mirror?

That couldn't possibly be me standing there.

She's fat, she's ugly; she's not right.

Look at the way she twitches in the light.

She's a monster; she must go.

I bend over the toilet and force the bile to flow.

I gag and I heave.

I collapse and I cry.

I just want to die.

I feel so ugly,

All because of the fat beast within me.

I get up and look at it; the thing looks back, staring.

It mocks me as I begin glaring.

I look down at my ribs; they stick out so much.

My skin is so thin to the touch.

I look so pale,

My bones are frail.

Without a sound,

I fall to the ground.

With a soft, weak sigh,

I lay there, waiting to die.

© 2010 Mimi


Author's Note

Mimi
My day-to-day life, living with anorexia, and bulimia...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Its good.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yet u have an m&m as ur avatar lol the sudden switch to ribs sticking out completely confused me, and I was just about to write "wait! isn't this about being fat?" but ur note cleared it up.

Posted 14 Years Ago


your self image fails to correlate with reality.
Have you given much thought to why.
You have a choice it seems to me.
Get help or you'll surely die
Skinny models far from perfect
affected you psychologically
You believed them I suspect
I identify your enemy

Posted 14 Years Ago


Struck a buried chord with me... my sister is a recovered bulimic -- but it's something she carries everyday. Scary as hell to watch and even scarier feeling helpless. I hope you find yourself.

Posted 14 Years Ago


gripping read

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the truth you write in this poem. You are brave to write this:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I'm no expert on these conditions per se.

I am aware that all human difficulties arise from over-identification w/the fleeting form. An intuition of silent Spirit freed of implication is the universal cure.

Failing that immediacy, Blake said "A fool persisting in his[/her] folly becomes wise." Or "Excess of sorrow laughs/excess of laughter weeps."

The poem itself demonstrates a blunt courage, is intelligently expressed, is a step toward exorcism of ills.


Posted 14 Years Ago


This an excellent poem with a powerful message. One of my daughters went through this self loathing even though she won a couple beauty pageants and was never ever overweight. Sadly, so many girls go through this because they can not deal with what they have tried to bury deep inside. I believe it is important to look at the inner beauty and learn to love yourself for who you are. Then perhaps the mirror won't haunt you. Very well written, my friend. Your poetry is really starting to shine.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow.
Let me just start off by saying that this was one of the most powerful and mind-building poems you've made. I understand the people who go through this every day, wanting to be pretty when deep down they already know that they are. Waiting for someone to tell them that their pretty really won't help, because there are times they won't believe it at all. So, they torture their minds, bodies, and hearts.

this was a pretty good poem and the picture went so well with it, too.
(remember to believe in yourself, and get along with your life knowing and understanding that everyone's different, but also beautiful.)


Posted 14 Years Ago


Very powerful indeed. Straight from the heart. it has a nice flow and word choice. Great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1204 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 4, 2010
Last Updated on March 5, 2010

Author

Mimi
Mimi

A place called home



About
"My heart is racing, feet are pacing, as I being to anticipate. Not much longer I can wait. The day is near, it's almost here. I feel like I can see him. Soon this vision begins to dim, quickly turnin.. more..

Writing
A Beautiful Sin A Beautiful Sin

A Poem by Mimi


Methamphetamine Methamphetamine

A Poem by Mimi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Swan Black Swan

A Poem by OT