The Storm

The Storm

A Story by T.N. Guignol
"

A young boy awakens during a storm and requests a story in order to fall back asleep.

"
INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

A YOUNG BOY, skinny, in baggy pajamas, lies in his bed, asleep and bundled under several covers. He sleeps soundly, the only sound heard is a steady rain pattering against his window. In the far distance, a low, quiet rumble can be heard, from a lightning strike just barely seen on the edge of the horizon. The quiet is interrupted by a much closer strike, near enough to light up the room for a beat, immediately followed by an enormous thunder clap, as if delivered by some ancient giant, standing above the room. The boy startles awake and darts his head back and forth, attempting to locate the source of the noise, before realizing the culprit and settling back against his pillow. He exhales, attempting to slow his heart. He seems content for a moment, then reaches casually to his side, finding nothing. This sends the boy into an immediate panic and he throws back his sheets and frantically searches for some unknown object. Finding nothing, he leans over one edge of the bed, peering at the floor, then repeating the action on the other side of his single-size bed. This time, he reaches down, patting the floor and feeling under the bed. A look of joy finds his face as he pulls out a stuffed rabbit and clutches it lovingly. The rabbit is roughly two feet tall, floppy and limp, appearing worn from age. These two old friends being reunited is interrupted by another enormous clap of thunder, followed by a small yelp as the young boy struggles to hide under the covers once more. He lies in silence, peeking around the room, then sniffles and rubs at his eyes. The boy, eleven at the very oldest, begins to sob quietly, unhappy and afraid in this thunderstorm. The rain continues to tap lightly on his window, an arhythmic percussion that many might find soothing.

MAN
What's wrong, Timmy?

The boy wipes his face and turns his attention to the formerly-empty chair in his room, where A MAN now sits. He is a middle-aged man, but well-dressed and well-groomed.

TIM
I don't like that, I said so.

MAN
The thunder?

TIM
'Timmy.'

MAN
I think it's a very nice name.

TIM
My name is Tim, 'Timmy' is a baby name.

MAN
Of course. You're big. In that case, I can go.

The man begins to stand up.

TIM
No!

The man pauses, waiting on Tim.

TIM
(reluctantly)
I-I'm scared.

MAN
Of what?

TIM
The monsters.

MAN
Which ones?

TIM
Um... I've never seen any of them. But, I hear scratches under the bed sometimes.

MAN
Could be a mouse.

TIM
Or some tall monster tapping on my window.

MAN
A breeze, I'll bet.

Beat.

TIM
I've seen a big monster with horns living in my closet.

The man stands up and crosses to the closet, opening the door and reaching in, presenting a large coat and a hat with two curved points on it.

MAN
Not a monster.

The man walks slowly to Tim's bed and sits on the edge of it.

MAN
You used to tell me you didn't believe in monsters.

TIM
Yeah.

MAN
You said they were made up.

TIM
Thought so...

Beat.

MAN
Well, you need sleep. So, how about a story?

TIM
I've heard all of your stories.

MAN
Have you? Hm, I suppose I don't have to tell you the story of the storms, then.

The man stands and begins to stroll towards the door.

TIM
Wait! (shyly) Maybe... I haven't heard all of them.

The man turns and faces Tim, a smug look on his face. He returns to the bed and takes a seat.

MAN
This, like many stories, took place long ago.

TIM
How long?

MAN
Longer than you can imagine. It happened in a far away place, too far for any man to see. Up high.

TIM
(excited)
Like Star Wars?

MAN
(chuckling)
Not quite. It was a place of unending brightness, where nothing and no one was untouched by light. Always.

TIM
Whoa. No nighttime?

MAN
None.

TIM
What about sleep?

MAN
No one there needed to. They were never tired or hungry or sad. No aches or pain. Just... Joy.

TIM
All the time? There's no place like that.

MAN
There was.

TIM
But that.. That would be hea-

The man cuts him off by raising one swift finger, indicating silence.

MAN
Let me show you what it looked like.

The man stands up from the bed and reaches into a coat pocket, removing a small object and cupping it in his palms. He stares at the object intensely until a blinding light emits from it, lighting up the entire room and bathing the room in a golden yellow. Tim's jaw drops as he looks all around him, smiling and giggling. Letting Tim enjoy the light for a moment, the man then closes one hand over the other and darkens the room once more.

TIM
That's why everyone was happy.

MAN
Yes. For a long time. Now, this place had a leader, a king, of sorts. He was kind, he gave many gifts and granted favors to all who would ask. He was generous and loving, but he was also... Naive. He believed that life there was perfect, that nothing more was needed.

TIM
It sounds perfect.

MAN
Yes, at first glance. But, there was one man who worked closely with the king, and he saw the true effect. Residents in this land were becoming spoiled and gluttonous.

TIM
What does that mean?

MAN
It means that they did not know when to stop. When they were given a delicious roast pig or a fine wine, they would clean their plates and drink deep. They would take and take until there was nothing left to give.

TIM
But... The nice king, he could make more, right?

MAN
Mm, yes. He did. But, being given more did not satisfy them. The endless gifts they were provided only made them desire more. It was never enough. They were never satisfied.

TIM
But why? If they were happy...

MAN
Perhaps it was just their nature. To always want more than what they had. The man I spoke of, he was the King's advisor. He saw all of this and attempted to convince the King to give less. Perhaps if they did not receive each time they asked, they would not demand so often. The King only laughed and told his advisor that he was happy to give as much as they wanted. The advisor, meanwhile, only saw things get worse. The people asked for more lavish gifts, things they didn't need. Many wanted only to get something better than the last. A man would request a statue of himself and the King would provide. Then, that man's neighbor would demand a statue three feet taller, and made of gold.

TIM
They were greedy.

MAN
Yes, they were. And the King was blind to it. His advisor was worried. Not just for him, but for the future of all people that lived in this place. He wanted them to be happy, of course, but he wanted them to love and appreciate what they had. He wanted them to not take their fortune for granted. He knew he would have to take drastic action. So, he... Well...

Beat.

TIM
(cautiously)
What did he do?

MAN
He hurt someone. Very badly. He hurt them in front of everyone, to show them all that pain and misfortune were real. That happiness was not a given, that joy was not unending.

TIM
He... He didn't have to.

MAN
Little else had any effect on their indulgence. They were beyond reason. They needed an awakening. The advisor had no choice but to show them that misery existed.

TIM
I don't... But why did he...

MAN
(breaking the story, speaking more directly to Tim)
Let's see... You like when you get an ice cream cone on Fridays, right?

TIM
Yeah!

MAN
You look forward to it, right?

TIM
Uh huh!

MAN
So what if you had an ice cream cone every day instead?

TIM
Yeah, yeah!

MAN
Mm-Hm, sounds great, eh? But an ice cream cone every day, maybe two or three a day, it lessens the effect of the ice cream cone. Suddenly, you just expect those ice cream cones instead of looking forward to them. Eventually, those very ice cream cones that you looked forward to each week become boring and monotonous, you start looking for bigger, better ice cream cones. More scoops, more flavors, sprinkles, syrup, whipped cream, cherries!

TIM
I.. Become greedy?

MAN
Not just you. Anyone. And this was why the advisor had to hurt that person. And you know what?

TIM
What?

MAN
It worked. Men and women grieved and they asked for less out of respect. Some even became sick. Witnessing that event had weakened them, it some ways. It made them value their gifts and each other.

TIM
Was the King happy?

MAN
The King...(sighing) Was not. He felt, like you, that the advisor acted without reason. Committing the first act of harm against another resident of this place was unforgivable, he said. And so he banished his advisor.

Long pause.

MAN
He made him leave.

TIM
Oh. To where?

MAN
Down. Down, down below. Into the ground.

TIM
Underground?

MAN
Yes. Trapped him there, never to escape.

TIM
Did he try?

MAN
Oh, yes. He needed to. You see, the advisor had seen the benefit in his actions. He had seen that in order for these people to be grateful, they had to experience pain. They had to suffer in order to look forward to the good.

TIM
Um...

MAN
They had to... Fall down and skin their knee in order for the ice cream cone to be that much better.

TIM
Did he get out?

MAN
A few times. Caused great times of tragedy when he did. All for the purpose of good. Eventual good. You see, the advisor lived so far underground, surrounded by heat, that he had harnessed the power of fire. And he had begun to use this power, to create havoc.

TIM
The avviser... He invented fire?

MAN
Not invented, but harnessed its destructive nature. The King, though, he saw this and he began to work his own magic, with water. As the advisor began to build fiery might beneath the Earth, the King rained down on him, drenching the scorched Earth. Any time the advisor tried to build his strength in fire... The rains would come. And the King, he would gather from the endless light all around him and direct this light into one incredible burst, that he would send rocketing to the ground.

Lightning flashes far in the distance.

TIM
Lightning!

MAN
Smart boy. Yes, these strikes were meant to warn his advisor against ever trying to rise again. And each time the King fired one of his powerful bolts of lightning, the advisor responded with a mighty roar!

Thunder rumbles from the last lightning strike.

TIM
(a little frightened)
That.. That is him?

MAN
Yes. His anger. But, don't be scared. He's trapped. The King made sure of that.

TIM
What happened to the King and the people?

MAN
They're still up there, the King still rules over that place. They are happy. And sometimes, after a storm, after each time the King puts an end to his advisor's potential uprising, they celebrate by shaping the light into a beautiful array of colors.

The man removes a small object from his pocket once more and cups it in his hands. From his palms, a rainbow emerges, arcing across the room. Tim laughs loudly and claps.

TIM
Rainbow! Rainbow! Rainbow!

The man puts the object away and ends the light effect, turning to Tim and shushing him.

MAN
Yes. Now, will you sleep?

TIM
I'll try.

The man returns to his chair and sits. Tim rolls over and tucks himself snugly into his blankets. He reaches back and snatches his stuffed bunny from behind him, holding it tight.

MAN
And when did you start sleeping with that rabbit again?

TIM
I don't know... I found him.

MAN
I thought you were big and brave. No more night lights or stuffed animals. You told me you didn't believe in monsters.

TIM
(timidly)
I am brave...

MAN
Then give me the bunny.

TIM
(tucking it under the blankets)
No!

MAN
Tim.

TIM
NO!!

The man sighs, then snaps his fingers. Tim feels under the blanket, a look of shock finding his face. He throws back all of the blankets, finding nothing. Desperately, he digs under his pillows and examines the sides of the bed, still unable to find his stuffed bunny. On the other side of the room, the man pulls the rabbit from underneath his chair and sits in his lap.

TIM
(seeing this)
Give him back!!

MAN
I will not. You said you didn't need him. Why now?

TIM
Give him BACK!

MAN
Big boys don't sleep with stuffed animals Big boys don't believe in monsters. You told me you were strong.

TIM
GIVE HIM!!!

MAN
I think I'll throw him away. If you're brave, like you say, it won't matter. You don't need him.

TIM
(hysterical)
NOOO!!!!!

MAN
(standing, raising his voice)
Then maybe you'll tell me why you found him again. Maybe you'll tell me why you're scared.

TIM
A BOY HIT ME!

Long beat. The man sits back down. He places the toy rabbit on the nightstand next to him.


MAN
(calmly)
Who?

TIM
Boy from school.

MAN
What's his name?

TIM
Greg.

MAN
Why did he hit you?

Tim shrugs. Beat.

MAN
Well, did he say anything?

TIM
Called me a fadgot.

MAN
Did he?

TIM
Yeah. He said the other 'F' word a bunch and pushed me into the locker really hard. It hurt.

MAN
What else did he do?

TIM
Bent my arm. Threw dirt on me.

MAN
He's a bully. So, have you tried talking to him?

TIM
Um...

MAN
Maybe you could be his friend.

TIM
I don't... I...

MAN
Many boys your age who start to bully do it because they're scared and lonely. They just want someone to care.

TIM
(sniffing)
I.... But he....

Tim begins to sob quietly.

MAN
(softly)
He what?

TIM
(through tears)
H-He said tha-that he.. That he was gonna get his brother's knife and put it in my head.

MAN
What?

Tim nods, still crying. Another long beat.

MAN
I'm sorry, Tim.

TIM
(recovering)
I just wish I was strong like you.

Beat.

MAN
Well... You could be.

TIM
How?

MAN
You'd just have to want it badly enough.

TIM
I do.

MAN
Well... I don't know. You might not really want it.

TIM
I do, I do, I do!

MAN
And why?

TIM
So Greg wouldn't be mean to me.

MAN
Would you teach him a lesson?

TIM
Like... How?

MAN
Would you hurt him?

TIM
Oh... Well... If I was strong, he'd leave me alone. I wouldn't have to hurt him.

MAN
You might think so. But maybe he wouldn't know you were strong. And he'd push you to the ground. What would you do?

TIM
Ummmm....

MAN
You'd be strong like me, right?

TIM
Right!

MAN
So, you'd teach him not to do that again.

TIM
Yeah!

MAN
And what do you do to teach Piper not to go bathroom in the house?

TIM
(giggling)
Spank her butt.

MAN
Exactly. And here's the paddle.

The man stands and points to a vase sitting across the room from the him. The vase explodes. Tim shrieks.

MAN
This is what teaches people like Greg their place.

TIM
B-But I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want to tell the teacher.

MAN
And he would learn nothing. He would be punished, then he would take it out on you the following week. The only way to truly stop him is to beat him.

TIM
I don't know...

MAN
You've a kind heart, but that is why he hurts you. And it won't stop until you hurt back.

TIM
Well... He is mean.

MAN
Yes. He is.

Beat. Tim sits forwards in his bed.

TIM
Show me how.

MAN
Ah, well, it's not that simple.

TIM
Why?

MAN
I couldn't teach you how to do that, what I do. It's not possible.

TIM
Why? Why not?

MAN
For the same reason you couldn't teach me how to draw a T-rex like you can. Or how to jump over that curb at the end of the block on your scooter. Or how to make just the right amount of bubbles in chocolate milk. Different people just have different abilities.

TIM
Hm. Yeah, you're right.

MAN
But, that's not to say there another way to still teach Greg a lesson, though. For you to still be strong.

TIM
How?

MAN
Well, you've seen that big box in Dad's closet, right?

TIM
Hmm.. (nodding)

MAN
There's a round knob on the front. You spin it to the right until you get to the number "twenty-four," then left, the other way, to "thirty-six." One more time, back the other way, to "eight." Remember those numbers?

TIM
Tw-Twenty eight...

MAN
No, no. Twenty-four. Thirty-six. Eight. Right, left, right. Remember? We heard Dad say it, over the phone.

TIM
While he was talking to the law-er. What's in there?

MAN
A toy. Just like the ones you see on TV. I'll show you how to use it. All you have to do is point it at Greg and he'll go to sleep.

TIM
It.. Won't hurt him, will it?

MAN
No worse than he would hurt you, if you let him.

Tim sits, silently contemplating. He fidgets uncomfortably.

TIM
I.. I don't know.

MAN
Well, I know someone who does.

The man snaps. The toy rabbit, still on the nightstand, comes to life and stands up, dancing across the length of the stand, playfully. Tim's eyes light up. He sprouts a small smile, but it quickly fades as he teeters between excitement and fear.

RABBIT
Hi, Tim!

TIM
Um.. Hi.. Bunny.

RABBIT
I'm so glad to see you! You're my best friend!

TIM
You're my best friend too, bunny..

RABBIT
Hooray! Are we going to be friends forever?

TIM
I hope so!

RABBIT
Me too. Then that means you have to be strong so nobody tries to take me away!

TIM
Who would try?

RABBIT
Maybe the boys at school. They're mean and they could hurt us.

TIM
No... I.. I won't let them!

RABBIT
I knew I could count on you! So all you have to do is get the toy and point it at Greg!

MAN
Tim, just like in the story, sometimes we have to make a big choice, one that not everybody will like, in order to receive something good.

A long, long pause as Tim sits, looking from this rabbit, to the man, to the window. He appears to swing between anxiety, hope, fear, excitement, anger, and everywhere in between. To the extent that his young mind can process all of these different feelings, he thinks. Finally, he looks up at the man.

TIM
I want to be strong.

A final crack of lightning illuminates the room and the man is gone. Tim sits in bed for a brief moment, then uncovers himself and makes his way to his desk. He scribbles something brief, a few numbers, then tucks the paper into his pocket and exits his room.

END.

© 2016 T.N. Guignol


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Added on April 19, 2016
Last Updated on April 19, 2016
Tags: God, religion, horror, storm, storytelling, storybooks, supernatural, thriller, heaven, hell, lightning, thunder, rainfall, child, children, boy, bible, The Devil, Satan, fear, afraid

Author

T.N. Guignol
T.N. Guignol

Tampa Bay, FL



About
I play with genre and format. Horror, comedy. Prose and screenplay. Fiction and reality. Who knows that will be next? more..

Writing