What Goes Down

What Goes Down

A Story by Gordon Greene
"

"1978 in a book of short stories, "Wings to See"

"

 


A great man once said, “Show me a man with no friends and I’ll show you a man who has not known love.”

 

Actually, I never heard anybody say that, but it sounds so smart.

 

The day I turned twelve, I became keenly aware that I was the center of the universe. I walked with my head held high, knowing that the earth would spin off its axis if I simply failed to pay attention.

 

I… Scooter Arnold, magically transformed from boy to man on June 17, 1978.

 

My birthday was on a Saturday and mom made a cake for me like she always did. German Chocolate as I remember it. And delicious! The day was great and we ended it by going down to the creek and fishing ‘til dark. I caught a catfish that I swear was nine pounds if it was an ounce. Of course, Matt swore it was an ounce.

The next morning we got up ready to go to church. Mama was having to work Sundays to make sure we could pay the bills, but she always made sure we went to Sunday School and church even when she couldn’t make it.

The church bus drove up at the end of the road about eight o’clock. Brother Elton opened the door of the bus and welcomed us on with a chubby smile and a butterscotch candy like he always did. But this morning, I didn’t care much for the candy. I just wanted to see Melanie Posey… just hearing her name brought to mind the sweet smell of Lilacs in the summer. ‘Course I was more fond of the smell of mud pies, but that’s another story.

Melanie was an older, more mature woman. She was thirteen. Four feet two and the prettiest green eyes and long brown hair. She was the reason I breathed! Not to mention she was Matt’s ex-girlfriend and he still had a crush on her. Maybe that played into it somehow. All I knew was I was in love.

I was determined since this was the fateful day our age closed that all-important gap (now that I was a man and all) that this would be the day she saw me for who I was… the future Mr. Melanie Posey! Umm… I mean she would be the future Mrs. Arnold. Heck, I’d be happy if she’d just say talk to me.

I got on the bus behind Matt and he went to the back and sat beside his best bud, Jerry. I hesitated so I could survey the landscape. “Where is she, where is she… there!" She was in her normal spot; ninth row on the left. "And she's sitting by herself!!!”

That morning I took some extra time feathering my hair just so and even dabbed on a little of Brody’s Old Spice he left in the medicine cabinet. I even took a shower on Saturday night. Was I ready or what?

I started down the bus aisle (mostly because Brother Elton told me to go sit down) and I counted the rows in my head as I went. “Two, three, four, five…” I was getting awfully close. “...six…” she was looking at me! “Hey.” I said as I gave a nonchalant nod, playin’ it cool. “Hey, Scooter.” She talked to me!!! I was beside myself. Now to sit beside Melanie. My crafty plan was unfolding.

“...eight, finally there!” I thought. Melanie slid over to the window which was my cue and I slid cooly into the seat. In the ten minutes that followed we engaged one another in an intellectually stimulating conversation.

 

Melanie, “Hey.”

Me, “Hey.”

Melanie, “Happy Birthday.”

Me, “Thanks! Happy Birthday to you!”

Melanie, “It’s not my Birthday.”

Me, “Oh… sorry. Well, Happy Birthday when you have one!”

 

And so on, and so forth.

 

 

The scripture in Sunday School that morning was about David and Goliath.

 

1 Samuel 17:8

 

 8 Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, "Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me.”

 

 

I was that man… I was David! And Matt was Goliath. I had slain the giant and was victorious!

  

During the pastor’s sermon that morning, I barely heard a word. All I could think of was the ride home sitting next to my sweet Melanie. I believe the message was on humility or somethin’ like that. Nothing that related to me, anyways.

I saw Melanie after church and she actually came over to talk to me. She told me she was being dropped off at her Granny’s after church. I was glad because her Granny lived past our stop and that would surely give us more time to get acquainted. We walked to the bus together and, being the gentleman that I am, I allowed her to go in first. Matt was already on the bus when we got there. He was staring at me from the seat on the left row, number nine! His eyes moved to Melanie's and he said, “Hey, Melanie.” He scooted to the inside. What happened next will be indelibly etched in my brain until the day I die. She sat down right next to Matt! 

The only seats left by the time I got down the aisle were the one directly in front of Melanie and the one directly behind Matt. I decided the one behind was the best bet because from that vantage point I could burn a hole through the back of Matt’s evil head with my laser vision.

I listened as Matt worked his magic and my heart ached as I watched the love of my life slip through my fingers.

As the bus came to a halt in front of our house I stood up fast so I could get off the bus before Matt did. I looked down as I moved by them and noticed Melanie’s hand slip out of Matt’s as he told her “Goodbye”.

Apparently someone had tossed a butterscotch candy wrapper in the floor right about row seven. And apparently my foot stepped right on top of it because my right foot went straight out in front of me and my left leg folded underneath. I slid past the next six rows and all the way to the front of the bus. Then, I popped straight up right as I got to Brother Elton, and just as the gasps were turning into guffaws. I was off that bus like a shot, across the yard and in my room before Matt stepped off the bottom step of that old bus.

He never brought up that day again and neither did I. Matt and Melanie dated off and on all the way through High School. Last anybody heard, she married some Doctor and moved up East.

 

Guess that’s the way it goes with young love.

 

Melanie was never really that pretty anyway.

© 2008 Gordon Greene


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

how about that, only 13 and she's already playing you like a church organ. Using you to make Matt jealous. One year at that age is like a decade, your still smelling mud pies but she's already thinking High school. Good story, I enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Are you guys back???? *faints*

*revives* Love this Gordon...I'm so happy I'll even forget you that possum is, er, was my favorite meal :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yeah, yeah... cry me a handful, ya' little rodent.



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2008

Author

Gordon Greene
Gordon Greene

About
Musician, poet, trier of new things. I write many styles If you don't like what you read, read the next one. Like everybody else... just trying to make a mark while I still have the time and energy... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..