Horror on Duke Street . . .

Horror on Duke Street . . .

A Story by Gray Witch
"

All is NOT what it seems . . .

"

Once Upon a Time,

 

That sound �" What.  Was. That.  Noise?


It was the sounds that had drawn Tylah to investigate. She noticed them as soon as she got out of her car. At first, she couldn’t place from where they were coming.


Then a door slammed against a clapboard wall and she found herself looking right inside that house, the one set far back from street, as if it were hiding from something, or someone. She really hadn’t paid much attention when the new people moved in a month ago. They had kept to themselves and were rarely, if ever, seen by their neighbours.


Tonight, however, was a different story. It was dark… a terribly dark, cold,  Halloween-like, moonless night. The wind gusted sharply, sending the damp and decaying leaves into cyclone-like vortexes. The air was cold, crisp and moist with mist that stung all exposed skin, leaving a scent of the ripened earth. 


As Tylah made her way up the flag stone walk, she couldn’t help but notice that the old house seemed to creek like it was taking laboured breaths.  More curious still, was that its decrepit, red door was wide open, its hinges whining as the leaves were sucked inside.


Tylah was tiny, with pixie like features, long, curly, brown hair and bright blue eyes. Some would describe her as overly brave and fearless. As she crept closer, she realized that the sounds she was hearing were the result of a dog inside that was alternately, barking and howling. Moving closer still, she became aware of muffled sobs, combined with wails of tortured pain, emanating from somewhere down the dimly lit hallway. She wanted to run… run away.


However, being who she was, instead she picked up a long branch blown off from a nearby tree and used it to drag herself forward, since her feet seemed to be glued to the stone step portico. Suddenly, a big tabby cat dashed out of the darkened room on the right. Through her legs he went, making a beeline for the relative safety of the front yard knocking Rhonda-the-Witch-on-her-Broom, Halloween decoration extraordinaire, into the pile of leaves and twigs next to the steps. All that could be heard of poor Rhonda, was her raspy voice: “Now I’ve got you my pretty,” over and over again…


Trying to ignore Rhonda, Tylah gathered her courage, took a deep breath, and started inside the dimly lit hallway to find out what was going on. “Hello? Anybody here?” she called out into the building. An eerie hollowness was all she heard in return.


Everything looked normal as she passed by the living room. So far so good, she thought. The lights were on, but the TV was muted. A book lay on the floor between the hutch and lazy boy chair - like it had been hastily dropped there. A simmering cup of tea had been abandoned and left on the coffee table to grow cold…

And still the sounds… muffled words, sobbing, barking and intermittent wails, served to remind her that all was not well…


The next room, the dinning room, was in darkness but further down the hall a light could be seen under the swing door leading to what she supposed was the kitchen. Two more doors separated her from the kitchen entrance. Both were closed and she hoped fervently that they remained so.


Tylah tiptoed down the hardwood corridor, being careful not to make a sound. Shivering in anticipation, her adrenalin level rose the closer she got to that last door. She was not taking any chances and found herself holding her breath as she inched closer, one hand on the papered wall, the other on her branch. Closer. Closer . . .


When she finally made it to the last door, she stopped, trying to decide just what to do. Should she push the door open quickly, attempting to surprise who ever was a party to the commotion she could hear, or peak inside, trying not to be noticed. One approach would allow her the element of surprise, the other, a chance to escape, if necessary.


The decision was made for her as the door suddenly opened and filling the doorway was a giant of a man. Blood trickled down his forehead, his blond hair matted and tousled, parts of it actually standing on end! His checkered shirt was a mess too. Something dripped from his sleeve and the knees of his blue jeans were black and sticky-looking in the hallway light. His left hand and lower arm were covered and bound with a white towel that was almost completely red and dripping on the polished floor.


Behind him, the kitchen was bright in comparison. It appeared to be all while…well what she could see. He looked like he was going to ask her who she was, but instead he politely said “Excuse me.”  


She immediately stepped back, as he pushed open one of the closed doors with his good hand. Apparently, from her quick glimpse of the tiles and sink, that room was the bathroom. She watched as he gently closed the door behind him with the sound of water swishing behind it.


The swinging door had also closed, so here she was still standing in the hallway, knowing not much more than she had a few minutes ago. She finally gathered her courage and pushed open the door.


“Oh! My! Good Lord,” she exclaimed. The room was indeed white, or rather, it had been white. Now it was red - and white! What appeared to be blood splatter, slid in clumps down the cupboard doors, dripping onto the counters. Red spray lay like jelly across the table in the middle of the room.


No surface was left undefiled. The stove, fridge and microwave all had blood and clumps of �" something, clinging to their surfaces. The red mess was puddled on the floor and there were two women in the midst of this chaos, one sat mewling and shivering apparently in shock, the other standing in the corner, eyes closed, muttering to herself.


The ceiling fan revolved slowly making a swooshing sound in the background spraying residual blood at the women and her….Creeping quietly from under the table came the little white �" err…red dog. No longer barking, but cowering, and silent.


But where was the body? There had to be a body somewhere. All this blood and gunk….Someone had to be horribly maimed �" or �" dead! What could have happened here that created this scene from a horror movie, she wondered silently?


Just then, the giant from the hallway re-entered the room. At first, he seemed surprised to see her still there, but remembering his innate manners he quietly asked: “Mother, did you offer our guest a drink?”


His mother, who was the woman at the table seemed to brake out of her trance and looked at Tylah for the first time: “Would you like a drink, dear?”


“No, no thank you,” she replied, still looking around the room for some clue as to what had happened ….


Holding out his good hand to shake hers in a belated greeting, he spoke softly, “I’m  Derek James and this is my mother Elsa and over there hugging the corner is my sister Kate”. Seeing the little dog he called: “Come here Misty, It’s okay now”… 


“I’m Tylah from down the street” she said shyly. Finally, she just had to ask “What happened? I heard noises, shrieks, and cries and all the blood…all the blood,” her voice drifting off …


Turning red to match the room, he began to explain: “I was setting up our Halloween decorations.  I’d just finished sharpening my knife - the one I use to sharpen Rhonda-the-Wtches’ post that anchors her securely into the ground. Kate had been helping me, but went back inside to look for Rhonda’s buddy, the mummified cat and some Halloween lights.”


Kate smiled at her and grabbed a rag from the sink and started cleaning off the chair next to Tylah, ostensibly so she could sit down.


“I got side tracked when a branch from the old oak tree broke in the wind.”


He continued,  “Going back into the house to get my sharpener, I forgot to close the door. Mama was busy in the kitchen, and Kate was sitting at the table unraveling the lights. Seeing my knife in my hand, she asked me to cut up the watermelon for her before I ventured back outside.”


 Derek was a big man, maybe 6’4”, blonde, muscular and handsome in a Vampire Eric from True Blood, sort of way. Telling this story made him seem smaller somehow, she thought, giving him an encouraging smile to continue.


“Well, I was trying to cut the watermelon as I crossed the room. I turned to ask Kate if she’d seen where I had laid the knife sharpener, when I bumped into the chair, stepped back and tripped over the dog, cutting my hand as well as the fruit…”


Embarassed he explained, “As I startled and stumbled trying to re-gain my balance, the watermelon flew into the air, along with the attached blood from my cut hand. And well, when the blood hit the ceiling fan it sprayed everything within the room.”


Pandemonium then ensued, causing the ruckus that had drawn Tylah to the house. “When Mother saw the blood, she went into shock,” he said, looking over at his mother, “ and to make matters worse, the dog started barking at the cat, like it was the cat’s fault. Kate had screamed when she saw my palm sliced open. From then on, every time Kate opened her mouth, the dog howled along with her. The cat had had enough and left.”


“Smart cat,” she said. “Ooops …  did I say that out loud?” she asked laughing.


Derek just smirked. He finished his story saying that he grabbed a towel to try to stop the bleeding and was on his way to wash his hand and re-bandage it when he ran into her….


And that my friends is the story of

how Tylah met Derek…

© 2013 Gray Witch


Author's Note

Gray Witch
Written November 2012

Edited and re-published October 2012

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm a huge horror and suspense fan!!! Combine a little of that with romance and I'll be hooked. This was great but the part where Derek's explaining was a little confusing. Might have been a little too descriptive and just needs a tweak in the dialog. I'm terribly wordy when I write so I always have to go back and condense things. Lol... Can't wait to read more... just love you're writings.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Most of my stories are that way from voyeurism to taboo subjects Please read some more

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is my kind of story. Very spooky, dark, awesome. Thank you for sharing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love the way you have a way of writing that sets things up very nicely so you can actually see it ion your head

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great story, I want to read more. Character development was top notch, setting made me feel as if I was there, dialogue can only be summed up in one word, Realistic.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Gray Witch

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind words...
I was totally foxed by this one- well done! The tone of the story suggested horror but the calmness of the girl and the people in the house suggested otherwise. The watermelon twist was a stroke of genius!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great read. I enjoyed the story very much. Well done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is very clever and amusing, with nice pacing and narrative. The buildup was solid, and the turn at the end was well-executed. I enjoyed reading it, and I'm sure the images will come back to me next time I cut up a watermelon.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Gray Witch

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much - be safe with those watermelons now ....
You held the suspense right up until the end and my mind was racing with scenarios of what may have happened. Excellent writing. I thoroughly enjoyed this read.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gray Witch

11 Years Ago

Wow... thank you VERY much ... Hope you will read more of my stories...
one word for this --> AMAZING
you kept the suspense alive till the very end and that poor watermelon might have caused a lot of blood red spray ...
very impressive :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Gray Witch

11 Years Ago

I was going for a mixture of watermelon pulp mixed with blood ...

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1255 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 13, 2012
Last Updated on October 10, 2013
Tags: Halloween, horror, humor
Previous Versions

Author

Gray Witch
Gray Witch

...Meanwhile back in Canada...near Niagara Falls, Ontario.............. (<-------------¯_(ツ)_/¯ wavin'), Canada



About
Ms Daniels, (AKA - GrayWitch) is an Environmental and Social Activist, Communications Consultant to local and provincial governments, and former Nurse. She has studied Sociology, Criminology and Devia.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..