Blindsided

Blindsided

A Story by Green Regol
"

Don't you feel foolish for being hopeful?

"

I don't know. I probably looked incredibly pitiful when I sighed in relief as he approached me. “Thank God,” I cried and, like an idiot, I threw my arms around him, pressing my head to his stomach in a short-person hug. His big, strong hands gripped me tightly by the shoulders when he peeled himself free of me. I was so dumbfounded that I didn’t know what to do - how to react.

He held me out in front of him, ducking his head so he might look me in the eye. I don’t remember what he said; I doubt I even heard him at the time, that was how blown-away I was. I just remember his eyes were red - that much I know was true.  Whether or not his eyes were misted, I'm not certain, but I know that was what I wanted to see. 

I think his voice was soft. Low. Quiet. Very light and even - not even the slightest of wavers escaped. “Let’s take a break,” he uttered, or something to that extent. And I know my voice in contrast was weak and trembling - small and nasally. I can’t recall my exact words, but they were pathetic and pleading.

"No," I choked out, "We could do this. We can work it out - that's what we're supposed to do when things don't go right."

There was the unmistakable pity in his eyes before he walked away. Which way he went is lost to my memory, as is how fast or slow he stepped and whether or not I watched his back as he left. All I know is that my throat was hurting, and 'sore' is an understatement. My entire face was warm and my eyes were already misted, so I barely noticed the difference when the tears began to trickle down my cheeks and collect at my chin.

It gets hazy after that. I might have repeatedly mumbled “No,” or I might have been completely silent as I consistently bashed my head against my red, metal, lusterless locker. My forehead might have throbbed for it, though it's completely possible that I was too numb to notice or even care.

Then I saw you, looking at me with wide-eyed pity. You asked me if I was okay, and I shook my head. You asked me what was wrong, but I didn’t even want to admit it to myself - how could I have told you? I only shook my head again with a trembling chin and a staggering breath.

© 2017 Green Regol


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a painful little clip, something all of us can relate to at some point in our lives. Again, you write with a ton of imagery, and your word choice is wonderful. Every character you create is easily relatable for the reader - a definite plus!
Great work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Apt reactions... fair flow...it wasn't long enough for me to develop a 'caring about' for your character. I didn't ask for any closures but more perceptions of the situation would have helped me.

Take care,
Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a painful little clip, something all of us can relate to at some point in our lives. Again, you write with a ton of imagery, and your word choice is wonderful. Every character you create is easily relatable for the reader - a definite plus!
Great work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 19, 2011
Last Updated on September 3, 2017
Tags: sad, cry, tear, love, boyfriend, break, girlfriend, school, locker

Author

Green Regol
Green Regol

NJ



About
Green Regol, author of “Forgive the Monster,” hails from Pennsylvania and is a recent graduate of the Savannah College of Art and Design, making it out alive with a Bachelors Degree in Dra.. more..

Writing
Wasn't Me Wasn't Me

A Story by Green Regol