The Ceiling

The Ceiling

A Poem by Green
"

a memory

"

there’s a spot on the ceiling

I know what it’s from

but you don’t

all I’m saying is

I try not to focus on it

to listen to what you’re saying

you can talk to me

the smooth white

interrupted by this one 

little spot

of faded dusky pink

so out of place, so odd

if you ever want to

you probably never noticed it

not the ceiling 

not my spot

funny, now 

that it’s still around

listening to the things I tell it

© 2023 Green


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Green,

I agree with emmajoy below, I get the impression that this room represents a kind of sanctuary, a place of quiet and familiarity. The spot, too, gives the impression of comfort - a friendliness, almost, that comes from making peace with being alone.

I can relate a lot with that, and have always preferred being alone in that regard. I think many introverted people function perfectly well with company (I do) but if I had a choice between the room, or a crowd, I'd pick the room almost every time.

Crowds, and communities even, have a tendency to make me feel unwelcome, sometimes - whether they mean to or not - and I've always preferred being in spaces that I felt I could trust (even if that meant being around nobody else, at all). Comes from the way I grew up, I think, but so it goes.

Anyways, I enjoyed reading a lot Green and hope that this place can prove somewhat of another sanctuary for you.

Thanks for sharing,

-Ook

Posted 2 Months Ago


Maybe we all need a place- little spot or not. which is a kind of Linus blanket, a something or somewhere on which to focus the Self, yours and yours alone. 'Times when that place it is right to lose the outside world and the clamour in life. I also wonder if and why the other person has never noticed you not present in what seems to be a relationship; would you like to share, would you like to be noticed more?

Your finely writtem words words intrigue me. Green.

Posted 2 Months Ago


there's a spot on our souls that others can see if they wish to look

Posted 3 Months Ago


What a beautifully personal poetry you’ve conjured here…something about it feels like a single moment, though it’s so lived in. There’s something profound here, but I can’t quite put a finger on it! Will read this a few times more at least!

Posted 9 Months Ago


This is truly delightful and I think publishable if you got it in front of the right editor at the right time. There is a large element of luck that goes into getting your work published unless or until you reach the status of Ada Limon or Amanda Gorman.

Winston

Posted 9 Months Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
An add thing about our memories, it let us see what was, or I guess its his/her nature to see of what one was, even though we know it's not there anymore..a clever way of metaphors here, well done...

Posted 1 Year Ago


That was fun to read and imagine. Maybe we all have our little spots we focus on when we don't want to listen. : )

Posted 1 Year Ago


Made me think of a metaphor for a memory you haven’t been able to put into words yet. Very nice.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I never read a poem like this. But I like it lol. Or, should I say, I like the way you wrote it. Well penned. tyfs

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2023
Last Updated on January 22, 2023

Author

Green
Green

AL



About
I'm living in the good ol' south of the US of A. Professionally, I'm an engineer and I guess that means I'm supposed to know things. I don't always. I write because I can, and because I can write word.. more..

Writing
That Place That Place

A Poem by Green



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..