Chapter Three: An Unfortunate Diagnosis

Chapter Three: An Unfortunate Diagnosis

A Chapter by Greystone

"Doctor Howard?" The doctor's shaggy head soon became visible from behind the book he had been so immersed in.

"Wolfe!" He said, delighted, in the familiar American accent, "How wonderful to see you!"

"Has Arrine taken her medication this morning?"

"Why, no. I don't seem to recall diagnosing medication at all. She's perfectly stable, last I checked. Eating all meals with good appetite, always wanting to help. She's a medication herself, for most of the people here." He chuckled at his own joke.

"While I would, under no circumstances, go against a trained doctor's choice... I have a complaint, doctor. She is in her room, rambling with the unintelligent words of a daft woman, something about Dominick being a b*****d and a monster biting her." Seeing the Doctor's look of doubt, he added, "I think it is something to do with the stress."

"Hmmm..." The doctor pushed his large glasses farther up onto his hawk-like nose. "What do you suggest, Wolfe?" Latching onto opportunity, Wolfe pretended to think for a moment.

"A powerful sedative."

 

***

The coppers had chased Dominick over an hour, until he had been apprehended. It occurred to him at that moment how much he despised prison. The bleak walls, the one window that probably had not been cleaned nor opened since the building was built. Whenever such thoughts struck him, he leaned against the wall and thought of Arrine. By his own logic and what little information he had, he had been able to figure out that Arrine had been bitten two times. Tonight, if she were fed upon again, she would change into what he himself hunted.

As time wore on, the thought began to bother him. It was a low, barely audible wail at first, but it grew in intensity as the night wore on. He screamed, he beat at the bars, he broke the one window but found it too narrow to escape from. As the moon was at its peak, he gave up, exhausted from his efforts. He cradled his head in his hands and sat there, wallowing in a sea of his own grief and self-pity. That is, until a familiar voice wafted around the corner.

"I assure you, I will escort him directly there," Lilith's voice could be heard, in a sharper tone then was necessary. Dominick strained her to hear her dulcet tones.

"Ma'am," the guard answered in a courteously firm answer, "I have no doubt, but this one here put up quite the fight." With obvious pride, he added, "High security prisoner."

"Oh, but you can surely handle it," Lilith replied, a different tone edging its way into her words, "You are a guard, and I pity any criminal who goes against you." The hunter grinned as he realized what she was attempting to do, and fervently thanked the gods that she had some idea of where he was. Hopefully.

"Well," he said slowly, "I suppose I am rather strong..."

"Of course you are!" She said, flattery rolling like honey from her mouth, "In fact, I may come back later, after I drop off the buffoon... is he the only criminal here?"

"Yes, Ma'am,” the guard replied dutifully, saluting Lilith.

"Call me Lilith," she said casually, "and, if you get rid of me, you know what you'll be?"

"No." Dominick stifled a laugh. Am I really this thick?" He asked himself.

"Free to go home," Lilith said with a smile.

"Oh," the guard said, stupid as ever, "Right. Here's the key, then... would you like something to drink?"

"Why, I would love something to drink," Lilith said. Dominick hoped that the guard was drunk enough where he would not notice how close she was to laughing, but he was beginning to grow impatient. Dominick heard the bottle pass from one hand to the other. He wished he could see better, but there was little light in the large room.

"Do you have any glasses?" Lilith asked.

"Uh.... yeah, I think so." The guard stated in a tone that sounded like forced politeness. As Dominick heard the faint tone of shuffling feet, the tinkling of broken glass could be heard. There was a low, pained moan, and then all was silent. After a moment of tense silence, a pale light could be seen on the edge of the room. He was able to make out Lilith's silver hair, and let loose a sigh of relief. As she came closer, Lilith's pale hand reached out with a piece of metal--the key--and opened the heavy iron lock. The aged gate creaked open with a groan.

"Hurry," Lilith whispered, glancing around nervously, "We have not much time to linger."

"How did you know where to find me, Lilith?"

"I know many things, Liberator." Dominick was nearly ready to open his mouth and ask for further detail when Lilith punched the wall. A part of the wall leapt forward, and revealed a hidden stair. Without another word, Lilith swept by him.

"One of those things is a second way out of here," she called back, "I suggest you keep up!" Dominick hastily went after her, hoping he was not yet too late.

 

***

"You should have known better then to fight against me when you were... otherwise preoccupied." Wolfe had Arrine pinned to the ground, and under his weight she gasped for every breath she took.

"Not again, Wolfe, I implore you!" Arrine whimpered, with none of her normal bossy arrogance in her words, "I have not a drop to spare tonight!"

"This will be the last time," Said Wolfe, quietly, in a tone that bore a striking similarity to a sick purr.

"What good is the promise of a vampire?" Arrine hissed, staring at Wolfe with a look that made him question his immortality.

The phrase 'If looks could kill,' floated into the top of his mind.

"You'll see," Wolfe replied. With that, he bent over and bit her pale skin for what would truly be the last time.

 

***

"Dr.Howard?" Dr.Howard had been making his normal morning rounds, and was sincerely surprised to see that Arrine had left her room.

"Good morning, miss Merry!" He said with a wink, "Are you feeling any better today?"

"A good deal improved,” she said, her voice one of beautiful tone, too perfect to be human. The doctor’s hearing was far from perfect at his age, and he did not notice.

"I am overjoyed to hear it," he said jauntily, snapping his aged fingers and flashing a smile. Arrine (what was left of Arrine) did something that the good doctor had not expected. She began to sing. A wordless, all-knowing song, one that bore strange effects on the doctor. His old eyes began to twitch, and he sank to the floor, as though in some kind of stupor. Arrine smirked her newly acquired fangs in triumph, and her eyes shone like two pieces of cool onyx in preparation for the meal to come. She took his arm, she bit it, and as she drew away her lips were tainted with crimson.

"Sedate me now, old fool," she muttered, and she sprinted from the threshold, leaving the doctor's lifeless corpse behind her.

***

"Someone--open--this--blasted--door!" Dominick shouted, pulling at the look in vain during every pause.

"It is no use, Mr.Dhampir," Lilith said, "They are not home. Lost. Now tell me, how are you doing today?" Dominick stared at her, noting the mocking gleam in her eyes.

"ARE YOU DAFT, WOMAN?!" Dominick's bellow echoed down the impressive courtyard.

"Thankfully, you are already daft," Lilith said airily, "So weather or not I place myself in your good graces is hardly my concern. Think-- 'Lost'! Dead, more like! Besides, you're being rather rude."

"Rude?" Echoed the Liberator, a blush of anger growing in his face, "RUDE?"

"Well, the doctor's blood pools at your feet, and you still expect him to open the door." Lilith said, "To me, that's rude."

"He's… But... Dead? HOW!?" Lilith sniffled at the air tentatively, as though hoping it would tell the story for her.

"Your girl friend bit him," She said in a tone that showed how careless she was for Arrine's actual well-being, "sucked him dry. Probably after she'd been drained of the life, she felt like she had not eaten in days."

"Wolfe drained her of life?" Dominick cut in, the expression on his face making it clear to Lilith that a vague answer would not be possible if she valued her personal safety."

"I told you he bit her!" She replied irately, "Don't forget, I'm trying to help you!" Dominick sighed.

"I know, I know," He said gently, "It is just... so… stressful for me."

"Well, obviously," Lilith replied, raising an eyebrow, "did you think you were concealing it well?" Actually, Dominick HAD thought he was concealing it. It was a good reminder to him that he must not underestimate Lilith, evidently her name's origin was befitting to her.

"Lets just try and open the door," he said, feeling rather hurt. Kicking it in as quietly as possible, he ran inside.

 

A moment passed before Lilith lifted her petticoats, taking great care to avoid the blood spatter from the pathetic remnants of Doctor Howard, and walked after him.

 

"Have you found anything yet, Dominick?" Lilith asked, slowly making her way down the elaborately polished stair. They were still at Doctor Howard's large hospital house, but they had found little to go on.

"No," said Dominick, "Not a thing."

"Hmmm. You can just go home, you know." Lilith said, twirling a tousle of silvery hair around her finger, "I mean, the Arrine you knew is dead and gone now."

"There is something left of her in there, I'm sure of it," Dominick said, a firm tone in his voice, "No one is making you come."

"But you need me, so I do have to come." Lilith said broadly, her words sounding like she stated a fact instead of her opinion.

"What? I do not 'need' you for anything, Lilith," Dominick replied, "I am a hunter. I live by myself, as I have every day."

"You do not have to, as I am coming with you."

"Oh." Said Dominick, who had not been expecting this, "Why?"

"Because you need me," Seeing his expression was one of sharp protest, she added, "and because I am your friend." The Liberator simply stared at her.

"What!"

"I'm your friend," She stated calmly, "and so I'm coming with you."

"Um.... Great. But where are we going?"

"To kill Arrine." Dominick’s jaw dropped, and his narrowed eyes glared at Lilith. He looked star-struck for a moment until the use of his tongue returned to him.

"No, we cannot kill Arrine! Are you mad, woman?"

"Did we not already have this discussion, about me being mad?"

"Yes, but that was... that was different..."

"Really? How?"

"Look, I can't deal with your stupid comments right now! I'm depressed, and upset! My best friend has joined the undead, for God's sake!"

"...Oh. Well, then I won't tell you."

"Tell me what?"

"In ten minutes, a group of vampires are coming to kill you." Dominick spun around, towards the door, sword already in hand. Lilith reached inside her breast and withdrew a vial of something. As she opened it, a strong scent wafted into the great hall. The Liberator recognized the smell from his travels.

"A Blood rose," He said, staring at it in wonder, "How did you get one all the way from Mexico?"

"My mother brought me a bush of it, before she died," she said, "On an expedition to the tomb of..." her brow furrowed in thought, "Someone or other. A nervous priest thought it would a good idea to plant some around him. A protection from an after-life snack, as it were."

"That's a good idea," Dominick said, "Did it work?"

"No, the Mayans used the plant for remedy purposes. The accidentally cut some away from the circle of Rose before the handsome corpse managed to rot." Something about the story seemed vaguely familiar to Dominick, but he could not place it.

"What was his name?" He inquired, truly interested in what she had to say. Lilith hesitated.

"Mallobo," She said, "Wolfe."

***

The horses were swift and long sense drained of the life that had once guided them. They were black, and their eyes blazed of deathly power. Even the most fabled horse master had failed in taming them, and now they for the rangers rode.

These figures were a group of creatures that lived an undead life solidly for thrill of the hunt. Wolfe had found them, and a mysterious veiled woman, had hired them to kill Dominick. Now the scent of the man was on their sharp noses. They rode as fast as their horses would travel, stopping for nothing. They had made the journey from the castle in the north to London in less then three days, something that would take most people many months. They had arrived, and, now that they were closer, the hunters caught a second scent. A scent they knew, and feared. It was so repugnant to them that they stopped immediately, knowing they were in the right place. A third scent then drifted from the area in question.

Holding onto the greatest weapon was a woman. Women were always good for a meal, they thought to themselves, licking their lips from what was to come. They were hungry, after traveling. Even with the promise of food from Wolfe, they were hungry. Why would he care if they had something else to eat? Would he mind a pick-me-up to gain his ends? No, the group reasoned, their minds joined as one; there is no reason at all.

Dominick heard the strike upon the door before Lilith did. A change came in her that he had not expected, she stood straighter and there was a battle-ready glint in her eye. The unspoken message of what they were to fight passed between them before the second strike against the doors.

The doors came open, and vampires ran inside. They wasted no time sizing up their mortal enemies; they simply flew at them as fast as they could. Lilith was there before Dominick had even lifted his hand, fighting with the speed of a demon, slashing at every Vampire with her rose. Every slice, however small, caused the vampire to scream in agony and turn to dust, fading into the wind.

Dominick's method of attack was quite a different one. He loaded every arrow with the speed of ten men, letting them fly at those who were not preoccupied with Lilith's mad fighting. There were twenty strong vampires there to fight, but with Lilith's blood rose and Dominick's excellent aim they were soon able to end the battle. At least, so they thought.

After Lilith lowered her arm and smiled, a bat flew from the ceiling. It latched onto Lilith's neck, and began to drink. A final scream pierced the night, but it was not from a vampire. Lilith's scream was more terrible then any of the vampire's cries, and even as she cut the vampire with the Red rose; blood poured from the small wound on her neck.

"D-Dominick!" She coughed, her hand becoming engulfed in her own blood in a vain attempt to stop the bleeding, "Dominick, d-do s-s-something!"

Dominick was there before she could move. Taking a small crucifix from his belt, he touched the wound. And, as he touched the gaping wound, it closed. It closed, and the skin was unscathed by the fatal mark. Lilith turned her stained hands over twice, looking at each in turn, before giving Dominick a look of sheer amazement.

"How did you do that?" She asked, ignoring the strange feeling of peace in her heart.

"The Lord helps those who help themselves," Dominick replied, putting the small cross back into the pouch.

"Now, lets guide their horses home."

 



© 2008 Greystone


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on December 22, 2008


Author

Greystone
Greystone

Fort Atkinson, WI



About
I've been writing for about five years. Mostly, I focus on fantasy, although to be honest I've dabbled horribly in Romance, Science Fiction, and modern-day roleplays. I enjoy drawing, painting, wood c.. more..

Writing
Sun Sun

A Poem by Greystone


Fury Fury

A Poem by Greystone


Silver Silver

A Poem by Greystone