Insomnia

Insomnia

A Story by Artiste de Mots
"

Darkness creeps into the night, yet my eyes will never close.

"
My bed reveals yet another horror. The day drags on. I could face loads of homework, run for miles, do nothing at all: anything to get me exhausted enough to feel as though I could fall asleep, never wake, and be alright.
I crawl into bed after a fatiguing day, my eyes heavy with lethargy. I prepare to fall asleep by getting comfortable. Glancing at the clock, I tuck myself in, the velvet of my blanket and the succumbing goose feathered mattress enveloping me. At precisely ten twenty-three, I shut my eyes and await the black emptiness of sleep.
Oh, how wrong I was.
The sun rays seep in through my blinds. The golden light becomes tinted peach as the sun sets. Darkness leaks into the room, the pale moonlight barely visible.
I still lie awake.
My eyes are heavy, yet still my thoughts race. I think of the events throughout the day, what to say to others, what is to come, everything that I have done wrong, how to fix the world's problems, my curiosities, and everything there is to think of. I continue to stare at the ceiling.
I empty my head of all thoughts, hoping to yield to sleep. I completely relax all my muscles and shut my eyes. I pull the blanket tighter around me and let myself sink into the mattress.
Nothing happens.
I watch the electronic alarm clock, every minute another moment of sleep lost. Two forty-seven. My eyelids fall to cover my eyes once more. I feel as though my body may finally have given in to my need for rest.
Eventually, I awake. I glance at the clock. Two forty-eight. I actually fell for the illusion of slumber. How could I have been so stupid?
For hours, I still lie awake. I feel as though I should get up and do something to entertain myself, but fear it will only energize me. The cruelty of darkness seeps into my core. The ticking of a clock echoes through my mind, reminding me of a countdown to an explosion. I start to feel psychotic with the lack of light and vision. I long to be given the mercy of rest.
I am conscious still.
After lying unmoving for what seems an eternity, my muscles stiffen. My head aches and my back is at discomfort. Nothing seems to ease my pain. I dare a glance at the clock. Six thirteen. Two minutes until I must get up. I decide it is not worth the wait.
The peach light seeps through my blinds once more. How I envy the sun. It has gotten hours of rest while I have lain alert for another sleepless night.

© 2012 Artiste de Mots


Author's Note

Artiste de Mots
This is probably not very interesting. Honestly, it's pretty much fourteen paragraphs of lying in bed, trying to fall asleep. Still, I felt it necessary to share the fear and annoyance insomnia provides those who have it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on June 18, 2012
Last Updated on June 18, 2012

Author

Artiste de Mots
Artiste de Mots

I live in the Milky Way Galaxy.



About
I've gone through great lengths to try and get my art (whether theatrical, musical, physical, vocal) into the world, and this is one more way I can. I adore reading, just the way I can fall into a .. more..

Writing
Fog Fog

A Poem by Artiste de Mots