Distance

Distance

A Poem by GunMetal
"

Time is a feeling, and it's the only thing that the distance between us is measured in.

"
The roads are viscous in the daylight.
I get lost in the distance
trying not to measure my journeys
in time or in miles.
I measure them in song lengths.
On any given day
you could be six punk rock songs away.
Or one and a half Dream Theater songs.
And I still find reasons not to go to you.

The place you go to heal
it will resemble your deepest wound.
All brick, bourbon and pyre.
You've got your hands so full of grief that you can't even hold your fire.
I'd need only look for the place that smells of your inferno.

Don't think for a second that I mind burning for you.
It's the distance that bothers me.

© 2012 GunMetal


Author's Note

GunMetal
I've been away for a while. This is one of the first poems I've written in over a year. I'll be sure to return the favor for anyone who reviews this =)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'The place you go to heal
it will resemble your deepest wound.'

That's fantastic, the poem has a sort of rhythm to it that's not exactly meter... it's just natural it seems. Measuring your time with an artform is a very novel way to go about it I think, unique and very well-written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

'The place you go to heal
it will resemble your deepest wound.'

That's fantastic, the poem has a sort of rhythm to it that's not exactly meter... it's just natural it seems. Measuring your time with an artform is a very novel way to go about it I think, unique and very well-written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Amazingly well written. Very descriptive and honest(:

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"And I still find reasons not to go to you."

I can't help it, I love this. My mind is my lovers worst enemy.

Excellent Poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago


You've got your hands so full of grief that you can't even hold your fire.

This is brilliant. Almost lyrical due to the fact it flows so very very well. Distance can only be measured in perception...not by time.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is incredible.. This is POETRY.. fine, flawless, like a razor blade of the highest grade.. meant to cut, in the light or shade.. slip or stumble.. never flaw.. the final factor of a messy blood draw.. (: -s

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jesus Mother Of Mary.. What the heck..! This is .. how to say this... let me collect my thoughts again..

Posted 11 Years Ago


Long distance relationships...improbable but not impossible, I suppose it depends on how hot the flame. Loved this refreshing and unique write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Swooning... it's how you extracted your personal elucidation on distance, it might be figuratively (emotional distance) or literally (physical distabce), either way point was made clear. Your style was commendable- cunning, insightful, witty, fresh and effortlessly drawn from a keen and astute thinking.
"Don't think for a second that I mind burning for you.
It's the distance that bothers me."- These lines knocked me down for like a good 20 seconds, exactly the same thing I'm telling myself for 6 long agonizing months, and I don't know how long it'll go on. But at least I smiled when I came across Dream Theater.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so well crafted and I love the concept of time as a feeling . Lovely write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


PS - Dream Theater...bold to mention a band in a poem. However this one deserves a helluva lot of credit.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1798 Views
45 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on May 21, 2012
Last Updated on May 21, 2012

Author

GunMetal
GunMetal

Wish You Were Here, Alta Loma, CA



About
First off, if you have a Tumblr, feel free to follow me with the link up there next to my picture. Also, My Twitter. ------------------------------------------------- Find me somehow. My name .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..