Distance

Distance

A Poem by GunMetal
"

Time is a feeling, and it's the only thing that the distance between us is measured in.

"
The roads are viscous in the daylight.
I get lost in the distance
trying not to measure my journeys
in time or in miles.
I measure them in song lengths.
On any given day
you could be six punk rock songs away.
Or one and a half Dream Theater songs.
And I still find reasons not to go to you.

The place you go to heal
it will resemble your deepest wound.
All brick, bourbon and pyre.
You've got your hands so full of grief that you can't even hold your fire.
I'd need only look for the place that smells of your inferno.

Don't think for a second that I mind burning for you.
It's the distance that bothers me.

© 2012 GunMetal


Author's Note

GunMetal
I've been away for a while. This is one of the first poems I've written in over a year. I'll be sure to return the favor for anyone who reviews this =)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'The place you go to heal
it will resemble your deepest wound.'

That's fantastic, the poem has a sort of rhythm to it that's not exactly meter... it's just natural it seems. Measuring your time with an artform is a very novel way to go about it I think, unique and very well-written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this!
you could only be six punk rock songs away
you've got your hands so full of grief that you can't even hold your fire
those two lines were probably my favorite in this poem
great job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


i really enjoyed the feeling behind it, especially the last little couplet, i think there is a slight discord betwixt the first and second stanza, but i think it works, so, i don't know :). this is the first piece of yours that i read, and so far i like you style and choices of diction .

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this poem. Just direct and powerful thoughts and words.
"All brick, bourbon and pyre.
You've got your hands so full of grief that you can't even hold your fire.
I'd need only look for the place that smells of your inferno.'
No weakness in the outstanding poem. A poem that take the reader to a good place from life. A outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really like this. So simple yet deep in layers.
You are talking about the person I used to be in the second stanza.(Ok, I'm lying who I sometimes can still be...but shh...dont tell anyone.)
Thank you for your gift of writing. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I agree that journeys are not measured in units of length but by the learning experiences a person gathers through them. You have written a poem that depicts of lost romance and great metaphors. I look forward to the time when you won't be bothered by the distance anymore. Cheers!

Posted 11 Years Ago



5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1801 Views
45 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on May 21, 2012
Last Updated on May 21, 2012

Author

GunMetal
GunMetal

Wish You Were Here, Alta Loma, CA



About
First off, if you have a Tumblr, feel free to follow me with the link up there next to my picture. Also, My Twitter. ------------------------------------------------- Find me somehow. My name .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..