Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Ray
"

There was no limit between sanity and madness. And she waited, waited in the dark of the light, for her prey to come, slowly, but surely : unaware...

"

I was eating dinner again, facing Curtis, who ate like nothing special had happened. Twenty hours had passed, and so many things had happened, but he seemed completely and utterly unaffected.

' So you're off tomorrow, eh ?'

' Sounds about right,' I said, staring down at my plate, only eating half-heartedly.

' They're good to you; giving you a day off like that.'

' Yeah.'

It was awkward. I could remember this saying : It's never awkward until you say it's awkward. I couldn't think of that being true. I wasn't saying it, he wasn't saying it, and it still felt so strange, so...awkward. There really was no other word. He was staring at me expectantly and grievingly, as if there was something I was supposed to say that might be heartbreaking, that should bring tears to either my eyes, or was it his ? I risked my eyes up to meet his. I stared fiercely back, take that as he will.

' Well, you don't seem quite affected.'

' I don't know what you're talking about,' I replied a bit too sharply, shrugging a quick shrug. He sighed and put down his fork beside his plate and closed his eyes for a few seconds.

' Acting like you didn't the Pangors is not going to help either you or I. Oh, I know how much you liked that kid ! Hep !' he held up a hand to keep from talking. ' Don't deny it from me, Grim, I know what he meant to you, we've got loads of pictures, albums, so we both know that you would be lying,' Oh Gosh, no ! You're the one who's gone mad ! I'm sane, it's the witch ! The witch Curtis ! 'So don't say anything and hear me through. I was very close to them too, you know that. That family, we've known them forever, so how could you pretend, or try to pretend that you didn't love them, that they never existed ?' This time, he was waiting for an answer. I'd never seen Curtis in such a state. He suddenly didn't look a plump as usual and his kind eyes had been replaced by fireballs. He was glaring at me, nearly standing up. Then, something happened. She appeared, right beside him. Her ugly distorted face holding my gaze. Her hand was on his shoulder and I shuddered; how could he let her touch her ? I shrunk back in my chair, half-frightened. The thing that set me off, that made me lose it is when she smiled at me, her evil grin. She was mocking me, she knew she was winning. But winning what ? My fear ?

' They never existed those Pangors !' I yelled at him, getting to my feet. ' It's the witch Curtis, and we're both victims, can't you see ? She's standing right next to you ! Just look !' He looked more angry than ever, and he too, rose to his feet.

' Grimera Velna Taylor ! Cease this nonesense NOW !' He shouted at me, his voice deep and unnatural. It was a voice like thunder. It was such a shame that I had to get into a fight like this with him when I was leaving in two days. But he would be here, alone, facing the danger without me. I suddenly felt responsible. But then, I wasn't too sure that he was ignorant. I felt as though he was part of something, the way his eyes were ablaze, scorching me. I tried to focus on something else, that was quite disturbing too.

' What did you call me ?' I tried to keep it cool, speaking monotonely.

' Grimera Taylor. Now, off to bed. And I do mean now. I've had enough of your unfeelingness. I'm beginning to think that it is rather good that I'll be rid of you.'

' Good night,' I said stiffly and turned abruptly on my heels without another glance and went away, to my room. What had gotten into him ? Why so serious, so harsh, so violent...After all, the witch's powers probably dulled his senses and so I could see her but he couldn't...or was it ? It almost seemed that the fire in his eyes was the same evil flame that shone in hers. This wasn't reassuring. Was there anyone I could talk to, that would help me ? I thought not. I lay sprawled on my bed, staring up at the ceiling for a long time, feeling alone. Outside, the weather began mimicking me. Thunder and rain and wild winds. I needed answers. There was the book, but I didn't feel like reading. And there was the house, but I was not going that night over there; I had had my share of enigmas to last me for the night. At least, there was one thing I had to admit to myself, one thing that I had understood and was definite : magic. There was something extremely unrealistic about all this, which proved that either I was going mad, or the world around me was unaware. I was more opting for the one where the world was ignorant. So this was solved. The means by which all these event were accomplished was stated and certain : magic. What I needed to know was the cause of these events, and the desired effects or simply, the future effects they would have. The latter one, I was not sure I could find it, but I thought that perhaps I could figure out the first one. I needed sleep though. I would be fully functioning if I slept. In a couple of minutes, I was breathing evenly in the open armed darkness...


She stood in the corridor, her face hid away by a hood. Her lips were visible on the tan skin, red as blood. She was waiting for the sign, the signal that meant her immediate action. She stood motionless. The corridor had mirrors on eitherside, with great torches hung on these glass walls to give a faint orange glow. The multiples of her went on through eternity, continually going back and forth. The floor was checker, black and white. Footsteps echoed, coming down her way, deep male voices ringing through the passageway. Her pointed tongue ran over her lips. She was waiting, waiting in the dark though there should have been no darkness in the light of the mirrors. But nothing was what is should have been, it was as it was. Indeed, this was another world. The human world was a long way off, and still so near. There was no limit between sanity and madness. And she waited, waited in the dark of the light, for her prey to come, slowly, but surely : unaware.



© 2012 Ray


Author's Note

Ray
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Warning you : chapter 5 will be slightly different.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Poor Grim! Brilliant chapter, every time I read a sentence where she questions herself I always have to think about what the answer would be.

Can't wait to read the next chapter : )

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
1 Review
Added on December 15, 2012
Last Updated on December 15, 2012


Author

Ray
Ray

About
"Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world." - Malala Yousafzai "To hold a pen is to be at war." - Voltaire "The pen is mightier than the sword." - E.. more..

Writing
Being Being

A Poem by Ray


The Wind The Wind

A Story by Ray


Take a look Take a look

A Story by Ray