Janna ~ Introduction

Janna ~ Introduction

A Story by Ray
"

What Janna's life looks like...

"

The red sun burning out on the darkening horizon. The warm wind rustling the tall yellowed grass, running through the branches. Whispers ran through the jungle, faint and incomprehensible. The flat plateaus stretched out very far. There was no wondering why man’s ancestors thought the Earth to be flat. And yet, looking at every side, the view was still circular. The sky was shot through with bloody gold dust, fusing through the air to disappear in darkness. The twinkling silver stars began to show, millions of years away, living their own lives. The land was empty, looking onward from this part. There was not a sound but for the sighing wind, through a quiet land. It’s living breath was slightly refreshing compared to the one that had been during the day. It was not rarely that one was overcome with a headache under the hot brightness of the day. Moreoever, there was not many trees under which one could shelter from the abominable scorching light. There was just the last ring of the bloodied star that lay on the flat surface when the young girl skipped on home. She had been wearing her eyes out, staring relentlessly at the gigantic flames which rose high up through the air. She barely could believe that this ball of fire was millions of miles away. In her little mind, she could not imagine millions of miles. Even so that it hurt when she thought of infinity, and the universe going on forever. For her little, human and therefore restrained thoughts, there had to be a beginning and an end. She took one last look at the weary sun and turned around. The grass came up to her thin shoulder, so that only her face and neck were above the stems. She liked the touch of these dried plants which came so rough on her skin. In the gloom, she could make out a building not far away. It was a dark outline against coal black. Some trees bowed around it, sometimes, they seemed exaggerating. The last light disappeared, leaving a complete darkness but for the rare galaxies which hung so far away. A sudden fear gripped the little girl. She realized now that it was in the wild where she stood, two miles from her home, and that anything coud happen between here and there. The wind came to silence and she tried to make out shadows around her. A great temptation gave her need to stay. Nonetheless, she knew inside that it was the wrong thing to do. She started slowly towards the dark building. She gently, silently set her foot on the ground. It felt as though she was doing too much noise however. It seemed not quite enough cautiousness from her. She didn’t know how long it had been since she had left her sitting spot. She felt as though a very great amount of time had elapsed, and yet, she till remained very far away from the towering building. It was not long after the terrified supposition that what was dreaded came. Something moved in the grass, not far away. She stopped and looked around. A dead silence came as her breathing quickened. She tried to find something that would alert her. There was nothing in the darkness. There was nothing presenting danger. She walked quietly on, and steps sounded not far behind. She turned around, and yet, there was nothing. Her eyes were wide with worry. She had never been so frightened in this place before. It had always been a home, a secure place. She had never felt very small in the past, and now, she did. She felt like a mouse does, when a cat is about to pounce. Clumsily, she continued, ever so slowly and carefully. And then she heard it. The constant breath, like a dog’s panting with his tongue hanging. She remembered what she had been taught. Only hungry animals are like this in the wild, only those who would gobble a little girl like you up. Her breaths came quick and sharp. There was two of them hanging around. She could hear their even breathing, and their paws, coming down quick on the ground, carrying them towards her. She began running. It was the only good thing to do. She knew it put her life in danger, and still, there was no better alternative. Either it were lions, and would not have attacked if she were facing them, either it was hyenas. In the case of the first, it was very improbable. Lions slept at night, they didn’t hunt, only during the day. Which left the hyenas, strange cackling dogs, who looked old. She heard them calling to each other now. Their barks sounding not far away. They were sneering, they were laughing. It was a fun game chasing a little girl in the dark, for in the end, they knew they would get her. She looked sideways, and could see a bump in the grass, trotting towards her. She ran as fast as she could, the lights of the building were becoming brighter. The others, behind her howled and knew that if she went beyond the gate that lay five hundred yards away, they could never get her. A growl sounded, and a cackle, and the little girl felt something in her back, something sharp. There was a bright flash of white light, and everything went black.

© 2012 Ray


Author's Note

Ray
It might be difficult to understand what it has to do with part 1, but you'll see anyway.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on April 5, 2012
Last Updated on April 5, 2012

Author

Ray
Ray

About
"Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world." - Malala Yousafzai "To hold a pen is to be at war." - Voltaire "The pen is mightier than the sword." - E.. more..

Writing
Being Being

A Poem by Ray


The Wind The Wind

A Story by Ray


Take a look Take a look

A Story by Ray