Night Crawl

Night Crawl

A Story by Holly Mason

                                                      NIGHT CRAWL
                                It is tough being only nine, dragging my lower body across the front yard.The grass is wet with the midnight dew.My under roos ,wonder woman of course, are now soaked.I am confused but I keep going.We have to think of safety first.The Ospreys are echoing night chimes in my head.SSSHHH what is that we hear?Something is digging, making a loud racket.We have to know what the sound is,for safety.The crawl begins again.Arm over arm ,belly on the wet ground.Crawl and crawl.We have reached the end of this side of the yard.We have run into the fence.I must peek over,see what was making all that noise.I am pulled back down to the ground.Something has broken our wall of safety and it is getting closer.I love the person next to me with all my light.I do not mind fighting for false safety.
                             We head back towards the fence.Arm over arm, belly on the wet ground.I peek over, silently looking.The noise is louder now.Metal to metal hits my ears.I am pulled back down.We must choose our path carefully, I am told.We have to think this through.These could be our very last moments.I know I have school tomorrow but I do not care this person next to me is my whole world.We take a chance peeking over the fence together.I see it first.I take aim and fire, my paint gun,...pop...the enemy screeches loudly and runs off.I always feel bad about the slight hurt I cause but this person next to me needs it so.
                            We crawl back into the grass,silently fighting for safety.Arm over arm, belly on the wet ground.This will continue until the sun comes up.This may be the time we need to do this for many nights in a row.All for the safety of this family.The family that is here.The family that we have to protect.I look next to me as I crawl,I love him so.The racoon I hit with my paint gun will be fine in the morning.A slight blue mark on it's coat, nothing to serious.But my grandfather will be exhausted again tomorrow.He came home from many wars exhausted.I fight with him every night that he needs me.He is the sarge and I am a soldier.We will fight on together many years.The dreams never left him.He would tell me of so many amazing things that he had done,seen,caused.My night crawls are something I miss and always will.

                                                    For my Poppy, my only hero.
                                                                

© 2013 Holly Mason


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow Holly, this is impressive. Such a great tribute to your hero also. Very moving read, I love the underroo's - Wonderwoman remark, my kids used to wear them too. Extremely relatable read, other than some grammar problems & that's an easy fix, you've got a winner here! Thanks for sharing this part of your life, superb!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

grammar is my problem let me know...pretty please and at least some one recognized the skills of the.. read more
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

Haha, you're too funny! My pleasure, always. ;-)
NIGHT CRAWL

Night Crawl, a flash fiction piece by Holly Mason, is about a nine year old girl who is playing soldier with her grandfather. She takes this play very seriously because the grandfather needs it, and after he dies, she misses these adventures.

In these 403 words, Holly has painted an emotionally vivid picture of a young girl and her capacity for love, adventure, and imagination. My main complaint about the story is that it ended too soon. I'd like to know more about her.

There are some punctuation problems (for example, no spaces after periods, and one run-on sentence) but these are minor. All in all, this is a short story that is worth reading.


Posted 11 Years Ago


Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

Thank you so fine sir...and let me know about things like punctuation I did not know to leave a spac.. read more
Zvi the Fiddler

11 Years Ago

Cconsider joining an on-line writers circle (which is different from writer's cafe because stories p.. read more
Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

this is also my first social site- I did not realize at the time that it would be social and the adj.. read more
Nice glimpse into your world. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reading much those were my favorite nights.I would hear him he would be awake but not .. read more
I'm sure your poppy misses you just as much. Wonderful adventurous tale, full of that thing that all nine year olds are made of.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

You know I really thought on the under roos bit someone would go dang I forgot those or the younger .. read more
Distant horizons

11 Years Ago

I had no idea what they were, but not due to age. Took an educated guess :-)
I like this writing style, I like being in the mind of the nine year old child, I like how you slowly made things clearer and clearer, allowing the reader to become engrossed in the story and the action as if they had been alongside the child all along.

The entire story, once I read the ending became suddenly more saddening as I had personally never met my grandpa - from my dads side anyway - and if I did I was too young to remember, and it just made me think of what could've been but never was. You have touched on a - personally - sensitive subject and I thank you for writing this, it is great.
A most touching and beautiful piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

thank you very much for your personal thoughts as well as your kind words
Very touching Holly, and the fact that I will be a grandfather for the first time by Tuesday, makes it even more special. Why am I thinking you did this on purpose??? :)>

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

I didn't mind the Broncos until I heard John Elway's voice...it was like...hey he sounds like a litt.. read more
Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

funny truly like Tyson who woulda thought
Jack...

11 Years Ago

Exactly

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 6, 2013
Last Updated on March 6, 2013

Author

Holly Mason
Holly Mason

Rockledge, FL



About
Well now , so many words to write. So let’s write em . Xoxox Holly I would like to acknowledge my wonderful teenage ( she is now 24 ) daughter..she has takin all the photos I use.She has c.. more..

Writing
Luster Luster

A Poem by Holly Mason


lonely lonely

A Poem by Holly Mason



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..