Early Decisions

Early Decisions

A Chapter by Gabrielle Conroy
"

Mauve's parents get fed up when something unexplained happens.

"

My sister Cora was playing with her Barbies when I got home.  Her big brown eyes shot up when I opened the door.  She stood up and ran to give me a huge hug.  “How were classes today Mauve?” she asked.

            “Quite well hon,” I replied.  “Stay young Cora, college is a b***h.”  I put my heavy backpack down on our leather couch to start my homework.  The room got cold and I had goose bumps.  Cora didn’t acknowledge anything.  Bang!

            “CORA EVANGELINE!” my mom, Rita, yelled.  “What was that?!”

            Cora started to cry.  “M-m-mommy! Your green vase fell form the window.”  My mom’s gorgeous green vase laid on the floor, smashed to bits.  The dirt that was inside of it was all over the place and the flowers sprawled out.  My mom ran down the stairs.

            “Oh my gosh! Cora you’re grounded!”

            “Mom it fell on its own!” Cora said still sobbing.

            “If you don’t mind? I’d like to chime in,” I added.

            Mom nodded.

            “The vase did fall all by itself.  I was sitting here and Cora was sitting next to the coffee table playing with her dolls.”

            “Alright.  I’ll get the broom and sweep this up.  Thanks girls.”

            Cora and I nodded our heads as she was leaving.

            “Hey Cora? Did the room get cold before the vase fell or was it just me?”

            “Just a little bit.  I think a cold breeze just came through the room.”

            We resumed our activities, the door opened.  “Hi Dad,” we said in unison.

            “Hi Mauve.  Hi Cora.” Dad worked as one of the top lawyers in metropolitan Boston.  He went into the kitchen, opened the door to the fridge, took out an apple, and began to eat it.  As he was walking up one of our marble staircases, Mom came down and they collided.  “Hey Rit.  How was work?”

            “Hi Damien.  It was okay.  We couldn’t save a newborn twin.  Mom got in a horrible accident and the babies got rattled around in the womb.  Baby B’s brain got shaken too much.  Parents are heartbroken.”  My mom worked as one of the best surgeons at the local hospital.  “How about you?”

            “Can’t talk about it.  The firm doesn’t want me to.”

            “Understandable.   Hey can I talk to you for a sec.” Without even waiting for a response, Mom took Dad’s arm and led him to the dining room table.  The table sat twelve and was made of cherry wood.  The gold chandelier hung from the ceiling.  “Listen.  How can you not believe that there’s something wrong with this house?” my mom whispered, but the room echoed so I could hear her.  “I mean the girls were on the other side of the room when the vase fell.  And I overheard Mauve asking Cora if the room got cold and they agreed it did.  Babe, no windows were open.  I don’t want Lux to grow up in a dangerous household! We’re going to British Columbia to pick him up on Sunday.  If you don’t talk to Mauve to find out what’s going on, I’ll cancel the adoption.”

            “Fine!” Dad finally yelled.  “I’ll talk to her but that’s not going to make things any more easy around here.  All she’s gonna do is tell me if this thing is out to kill us or means no harm.”

            “Thank you,” said Mom calmly.  And they both walked out.



© 2011 Gabrielle Conroy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on September 6, 2011
Last Updated on September 23, 2011
Tags: paranormal, teen, ghosts, supernatural


Author

Gabrielle Conroy
Gabrielle Conroy

Worcester, MA



About
I'm from MA and i love writing supernatural fiction and some poetry. I'm part of a baby name community on my Formspring which makes me get excited to name characters :) more..

Writing