just a smile

just a smile

A Story by Tarek
"

a man and an old lady.

"

One day, while I was walking with my friend down the street, we came across an old woman. As she leaned over a small car, she called out. “Jade, Jade...” Heedless to my friend’s words, I walked to her. “What’s wrong?” I asked her with a wide smile.

 

“My son,” she said, crying. “He died. He’s gone forever.”

 

I patted her and dipped my hands into my pocket. I had one coin. I closed her palm over the coin and said, “That’s all I can give. I’m sorry.”

 

She raised her blue eyes towards me then placed the coin over my shoulder. “I don’t need it. I just wish to see you again.” And she vanished down the street.

 

“Are you mad?”  My friend said, after I returned. “It’s none of your business. This is really weird.”

 

I stopped. “If you could just see the look in her eyes when I patted her, you’d understand.”

 

“Understand what?”

 

“Understand that our job is to try to make this world a better place, that we’re here for a reason and this reason is to share our love and kindness. I realized she didn’t need the money, but she needed just a smile.” 

© 2009 Tarek


Author's Note

Tarek
This happened to me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is amazing! I love stories like this! I have been having a terrible night. I read another friends poem and saw your review and clicked. Then was drawn to this story from your profile page. It's so helpful in making me feel better you have no idea! Thank you for posting this. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
1 Review
Added on December 14, 2009

Author

Tarek
Tarek

Cairo



About
I Love reading, writing and singing countertenor. I'm just 17 so i guess that i have alot of time to keep improving my writing, and that won't happen unless i benefit from everyone's advice round here.. more..

Writing