Confession

Confession

A Story by Hannes
"

To be a good writer or not//

"

As I was lying in my bed at five this morning, I thought about what my friend TKlittle said, and I quote: “Your shaky grasp on the English language does not convey your intent.” He is right. A good teacher said to me once: “skoenmaker hou jou by jou lees.” Well now you know, I am Afrikaans!”

 

I had it wrong al these years... I loved the way the English people use their words to bring the feeling they have, the shapes they see, the things they do into an avalanche. You can see what they see; you can feel what they feel.

 

This is where I had it all wrong, it’s not because the English language have more than a million words to choose from that makes it such fantastic building material. The fact is that any language can be formed into a work of art. Writing is like a flowing river... it is not about how many words you use, or how weird the words are that you use to convey your message, it is all about the flow. The beauty in it is the sound that stay’s with you for ever. You see it, you feel it, you smell it, you hear it... it has this special pleasantness not even a picture can project. A river is not made of special rocks, special water or anything unusual, it is al about how it has been put together.

 

Yes, I do hope to be a good writer one day but maybe I must keep to the language I know (skoenmaker hou jou by jou lees.)

Thank you all for reading what I wrote.

TKLittle... you will not know how much I appreciate you honesty...it gave me a lot to think about

Hannes

© 2015 Hannes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Agree with you...language is more than really just a language and it can definitely be made into an art.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 16, 2015
Last Updated on June 16, 2015

Author

Hannes
Hannes

Groblersdal, Mphumalanga, South Africa



About
Hi. I live in Groblersdal, in South Africa. I have been writing small things here and there, but I never published anything. I hope in joining this group I could plane a little on my talents. more..

Writing
The  church The church

A Chapter by Hannes


The crow The crow

A Chapter by Hannes