Of Lords and Lovers

Of Lords and Lovers

A Chapter by The Darkest Silhouette

 

I met Maria when I was sold into service at the Mason house controlled by her father, George Mason. I was only five and as a low class child it was all I could dream of, to live with a powerful family, all my needs taken care of. Maria and I played together for five years, until I was of working age. Those were the best years of my short life. We played like brother and sister oblivious to our vast differences in class, but we both knew that someday it would come to an end.

 

I am nineteen now and all of my life that I can comfortably remember has been here, in the Mason house. That is what I am thinking as I exit the house's back door and walk over to Master George.

 

Master, I have heard you seek my presence.”

 

Yes my son, you see my daughter is coming of age and she may be leaving my house soon. If so I will no longer be able to protect her as I have all these years. So I figure she will need a bodyguard. You are the most trusted of my servants, you are the closest thing I have to a son, so I think it is only fitting that I offer this job of such great importance to you.”

 

I look to Maria who is sunbathing by the pool, over the years my life has been consumed by service to the Mason house and I have had little time to foster a relationship with the lovely Maria. Perhaps it is for the better. I could never have expected to be worthy of her friendship, much less anything more. I am a mere servant and she is the child of my Master. Even if I hadn't been born a poor child, even if I had been born her equal, I still wouldn't even be close to being in her league. Over the years, since we had played innocently as equals, I have grown into an awkward young man and she a goddess of beauty. Even now her nearly eighteen year old body calls out to me, her small two piece bikini beckoning my eyes closer. No, I cannot think of her like that. I have no right to.

 

I look to Master George, not directly into his eyes, just at his face. “Me sir? I would be quite glad to, but how am I worthy of safeguarding your daughter's life?”

 

Master laughs at my modest reply. “Is it not enough that I think you're worthy?”

 

Yes'r, of course it is.” I almost ask 'but why me?' but I know better than to question my Masters judgment.

 

Then go over to her, tell her the good news.”

 

Bashfully I walk over to Maria. Its not that we don't ever talk or spend any time together because we do. They are fleeting moments indeed, but they exist all the same. It would be most disrespectful if I didn't greet her. After all, we live in the same house. If I were not to see her it would mean I was avoiding her, which would show disrespect to her presence. So why was I afraid? Was it that with this promotion I would more than just a servant? Was it that I was about to be much closer to power than most of the servant class could ever dream to be? Or was it that I had been given the responsibility of protecting the sacred flower of the Mason house?

 

I sit down beside her trying my best not to stare at her gorgeously tanned figure.

 

Hello, Lady Maria.”

 

Hi Charles.” I am surprised that she still remembers my name.

 

I've got some good news...”

 

Oh yes and so do I, Father is going to allow me a boyfriend soon!” Her face lit up with the words in that way only hers could.

 

I laugh nervously. “I didn't hear about that, but Master says I am to be your bodyguard.”

 

Really? I've always wanted someone to spend time with. Of course, I know that a bodyguard isn't the same thing as a best friend but it's nice to have someone to talk to all the same.”

 

I start to feel a little warm.

 

Charles, why are you blushing?”

 

I turn away from her, covering my face in embarrassment. I've blown it already.

 

I didn't know I was.” I say from behind my hand.

 

Well, I'm sorry.” Maria sounds almost as bashful as I feel. But what was she sorry for? If anyone should be sorry it was I. Now I felt even worse. I had done another thing you never do, never make someone above you feel bad, and the last thing I wanted to do was make Maria feel bad.

 

No, you know you don't have a thing to be sorry for, and I must apologize for making you feel as if you do.”

 

Oh you can't be so formal if we're going to be friends, how would I ever be able to talk to you?”

 

Formality? I really had meant all the things I had said, I saw little formality in them, but I was relieved, it meant she wasn't angry. It meant she wanted to be my friend.

 

So, you want to talk. Well, Master says you might be leaving soon, is that true?”

 

Yes, as soon as I turn eighteen. There's a whole world out there that I've never seen. I guess you don't understand, you still get to be a part of the world outside of this house.” The dreamy look of freedom left her eyes and was replaced by a look of bitter sadness. I had forgotten that she had never alone anywhere outside of the House. Master was very protective of her, but then again, I would be too, if she were mine. It was quite rare that he took her out of the house and when he did, they were always accompanied by a legion of armed guards. Even I, a lowly servant, who was only allowed hours a day to go where I wanted, had more freedom than she.

 



© 2009 The Darkest Silhouette


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on July 10, 2009
Last Updated on July 10, 2009


Author

The Darkest Silhouette
The Darkest Silhouette

Burlington, NC



About
I just started writing seriously a year ago. My style has evolved and grown with me as I write more and more, so what ever happens to be my most recent work represents the best I have written, and it.. more..

Writing