Rain

Rain

A Story by Hatter
"

Just a short story

"

“It’s raining,”

“I  can see that,”

“Let’s go outside,”

“Nah, I don’t want to,”

“But it’s raining,” she whined

“Yeah, and I don’t know why you want to go out,” he responded his back turned to her

“I want to jump in puddles,” she mumbled crossing her short arms across her small frame

“But I don’t want to,”

“Pleeeeeaaaassseeeee,” she cried grabbing his arm and pulling,

“No, I don’t want to and you are just going to get dirty and wet and I don’t feel like doing the laundry. Besides if you get wet and muddy that means you’re going to have to take a bath,” he warned.

“Fine, I’ll take a bath, now let’s gooo!” she cried pulling even harder. He sighed putting down the dishes that he was washing and drying his soapy hands.

“Can’t we go out after the rain stops,”

“No,”

“Why?”

“Because,”

“You know that’s not a reason,” he responded carefully pulling his arm out of her grasp. She followed him into the living room. He stood in the middle looking around noticing the mess of toys, clothes and piled up garbage.

“Come on help me clean,”

“If I help can we go out?” she asked, her voice hopeful. He sighed, “Fine.”

The two spent the next hour cleaning. She circled the room picking up toys and then clothes and shoes. He filled a large black garbage bag before pulling out the vacuum and turning it on. Then he made his way through the living room with the vacuum dragging behind him.

“Ok,” she said putting the last of her toys in the box sitting in the corner between the couch and the wall. “Now let's go.”

“Wait,” he replied putting the vacuum back in the closet.

“But we’re done,”

“Yes, but we have to get ready to go outside, so go get your shoes and rain coat,”

“Okay!” she exclaimed rushing to her room to find the bright yellow raincoat that she loved along with the matching rain boots.

“I’m ready!” she yelled from the door her hand already on the doorknob ready to go outside.

“Coming,”
“Let’s go, let's go!”

“Okay, okay,” he said pulling on his own boots and grabbing the dark red umbrella by the door. She yanked the door open letting in a cascade of raindrops that hit her right on her face.

“Woah! So much rain!” she shouted as he pulled her hood on before she burst through the door out into the pouring rain.

“Wait!” he cried hurrying after her as he struggled to open the umbrella in the strong gusts of wind. She ignored him heading straight for the biggest puddle she could see. At the edge of it, she paused looking at it and examining its splashing standards. Once satisfied that it was a good puddle she took a few steps back and launched herself into the water. Her boots hit the ground hard spraying water everywhere and covering her in muddy water. She laughed stomping around in the pool of water. He made his way to her and watched at the pure joy of his daughter as she enjoyed the messiness of the rain.

© 2019 Hatter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

There is nothing wrong with your writing. You don't seem to suffer from the problems other writers have. I would ask the question "What makes this story worth writing about?"

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
1 Review
Added on April 24, 2019
Last Updated on April 24, 2019

Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Hatter