The Jump

The Jump

A Story by Havatara

Trinity sat in her room one Saturday night, brushing her short brown hair and putting makeup on to go on a date with her boyfriend.

“Trinity, he was supposed to be here half an hour ago.  Are you sure he’s going to be here?” her sister Sofia called.

“I’m sure.  Just give him a few more minutes,” Trinity called back as she finished up putting on her mascara to frame her dark gray eyes.

And so she waited.  They were supposed to go to a movie at nine, but Trinity lost all hope of that when he hadn’t arrived to pick her up by 9:45.

Sofia appeared at her door, her blonde hair tied back in a bun so it wouldn’t get in her way.  “I think you should call him at least,” she said.

Trinity sighed.  “Fine.  He’s probably just late at the auto shop.”  Picking up her cell phone, she dialed his number.  It run five times before he picked it up.

“Hello?”

Trinity inhaled deeply.  “Jake?  Where are you?”

“Oh, I’m, uh, at the shop still.  Dad wanted me to stay late.  I’m sorry we couldn’t make it to the movies on time.  How does dinner sound?  I’ll take you to that fancy place on First.”

Trinity smiled into her phone.  “That sounds great.”

There was a thumping sound in the background that Trinity couldn’t identify.  “What’s that noise?”

“Oh, uh, Carlos is here, too.  He’s fixing up an engine, and that’s the sound it’s making.”

“Jakey, who are you talking to?” a sweetly seductive voice asked in the background.

“Veronica, shut up,” Jake hissed.  His voice was muffled so it took a while to figure out what he said, but when she did Trinity’s blood ran cold.

“Who’s that?” Trinity whispered.

“Just a girl coming to pick up her car,” Jake assured her.

“At ten at night?”

The girl’s voice came up again, louder this time, closer to the phone.  Closer to Jake.  “Jakey, who is that?”

“It’s no one important, Veronica.  Go back over there,” Jake said.  Trinity was shocked by what she heard.  No one important?  They had been dating for over a year and a half.

“Just to let you know, that’s a really crappy bed,” she said, her voice moving farther away.

Trinity gasped softly.  “Jake, are you cheating on me?”

“No, baby, I would never-”

“Jake, are you almost done? W hat kind of boyfriend would leave his girlfriend sitting over here, cold and alone-”

“Trinity, I really have to go.”

She inhaled deeply again.  “Yeah, you do.  Go, and never come back.”  She hung up on him, not wanting to talk to him but praying he would call back all the same and explain that he wan’t cheating on her, he had just hired a prostitute-

-like that was any better?  No, she didn’t want anything to do with him every again.  But she would have to see him, and there was only one way to make sure she would never ever see him.

“Sofia, tell Mom that he wants me to meet him at the gas station,” Trinity called as she got out some paper and started writing.

“The gas station?  How unromantic,” her sister called back.

“It’s a convenient place to meet up,” Trinity explained.  She spent a few more minutes finishing up her letter stating where she was really going and what she was planning on doing.  Then she put on her shoes, grabbed her car keys, and left.

It only took ten minutes to drive to the edge of the forest.  Even though it was dark out, Trinity was able to find her way to the waterfall easily.  This particular waterfall was four stories high, and the lake below was almost a hundred feet deep.

Trinity inhaled and took off her shoes, just so the police would know exactly where to find her.

And then she jumped.

The jump down was the scariest and most exciting moments of her life.  She barely even felt it when she splashed into the water.

However, she could definitely feel it when she was running out of air, but by the time that happened she was thirty feet below the surface.  And she couldn’t swim.

The last thoughts that shot through her mind before darkness took over were: ‘Did I really love him enough for this?  Really?’

© 2010 Havatara


Author's Note

Havatara
I'm toying with 2 ideas at the moment: Either someone saves her that she falls in love with or her suicide causes a chain of suicides in her family. What do you think? As for the picture, this is sort of what I had in mind, but a little bit taller, and not in a tropical forest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i think some one should save her. i love where your going with this, keep it up!

Posted 13 Years Ago


It was a little too straight forward....Try lengthening it...I like the idea of someone saving her....Call me a lush but love stories always make me cry.... :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


How unromantic,” her sister called back.( do not need the underscore in this)

Other than that, not bad at all.

Posted 14 Years Ago


well it was written quite well. I don't like the subject matter..but unfortunately it's part of life. So, if I had to vote.. I'd say let someone rescue her!! But either way, keep writing and stay true to yourself.. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


OMG! This seriously made me cry.... Its so sad. But yet it was so good! I really felt like this was me... I think I would have done this sadly... I hope though that before I did I would realize that there are plenty of guys out there better than the one I lost. You really did a wonderful job. I got so hooked and curious that I couldnt stop reading. I am still crying from this...

There were a few grammatical errors but you can fix those easily just by reading this over. Very well done! You should seriously think about writing a book or at least more to this. Theres so much you could write about. Like how they met and what they do and so on. You have potential and I know you could honestly write another great piece!

Well done indeed!

~Manda~

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2010
Last Updated on April 8, 2010

Author

Havatara
Havatara

The Town That Moved, St. Louis County, MN (aka Hicksville), MN



About
My birthday is November 12, 1994. I was born and raised in Minnesota and am loving it, despite the mosquitoes and the six month winter. It would be AMAZING if you reviewed something of mine if I r.. more..

Writing
Me and You Me and You

A Poem by Havatara


Nightdemons Nightdemons

A Poem by Havatara



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..