Frosten Attraction

Frosten Attraction

A Poem by Hayley
"

A brush with Death

"

Death came in eyes of diamonds 

Upon hills of rolling snow,

While the grass slumbered in frost

Amid the season’s stunt to grow.


He dripped in frozen flowers 

All breaking about his black dress,

The sweetness of passing about his hand;

Death and bloom motionless.


Let me to love the crystalline being

Who mourned the shattered petals so still,

That I may lie in biting beauty

In his winter garden of rolling hills.

© 2012 Hayley


Author's Note

Hayley
Ah, symbolism. Gotta love it

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have a weakness when it comes to reviewing poetry. I am invariably attracted to works which exude elegance. And this verse is elegance personified. The lines are soaked in surreal euphemism. The photograph accompanying the poem could not have been more apt. I can't help but notice that you have mastered imagery at a very young age. The fact that you begin your poem with "Death came in eyes of diamonds" is proof enough.

"While the grass slumbered in frost
Amid the season’s stunt to grow"
These lines are enchanting in their solemn beauty.

"He dripped in frozen flowers" is nothing short of sublime. Winter, that angel of Death, is surrounded by his own handiwork. The "sweetness of passing" delicately portraying the flowers' imprint on this world.

"Death and bloom motionless" is epic in it's profundity.

While the second stanza is more descriptive, the third one is contemplative. The poet feels attracted to winter, because winter is not cruel. He "mourned the shattered petals so still". Winter has an enigmatic beauty, because the frozen petals indicate no malice on winter's part. The phrase "biting beauty" say it all, really. Indeed, if Death is to take all, may we all die this way, and the sweetness of our passing be remembered.

Masterfully done, yet again! You have my utmost respect, Hayley. Keep writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Not just symbolism. But such a grace in the words, and so well crossed, and penned. Your images are really stunning... it made me "see" the words, and feel the cold.
Beautiful poem!
*Mary*

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful description in the poem. I had to read a few times to gather and enjoy the visions create by powerful statements.
"The sweetness of passing about his hand;
Death and bloom motionless."
Thank you for the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
A beautiful poem. Eyes of diamonds! I once wrote a poem with similar overtones making the snow filled with sparkling fields covered in stars and this sort of reminded me of that. The images you create are stunning and I love the way you stick to one sort of idea and work off it like a scheme or thread to the end. Great job.

100/100

Posted 12 Years Ago


This makes me like rhyme again. In this isolated case, anyway. You manage it easily and every line is still valid and unique, good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"that i may lie in biting beauty; in his winter garden of rolling hills"..... i seriously cannot get enough of those last two lines.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm sorry , but can I be informed as to what "frosten" is ? It isn't in any of the dictionary's I've checked . . .

Posted 12 Years Ago


I cannot exactly point out what I love about this piece, but every word draws me closer in. Loved this. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


What a stunning write, taking us on a journey through winter's landscape... the voice of death whispering in the wind... bleeding ice over the blush of blossoms... Yet, this haunted vision is like a crystal magic, and you've released it with your spell.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love this poem. There is the perfect amount of "just the right touch". Love is used once and I think that is key to this piece beautifully spine-chilling piece. Your first line is phenomenal! This is going to be the first piece I shelve in my library. You have a ton of talent and you have a parsimonious way with words that legacies are written with!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have a beautiful ability to make people think!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1435 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 10, 2011
Last Updated on April 21, 2012

Author

Hayley
Hayley

OH



About
I'm a 21-year-old undergraduate college student majoring in business. I'm not on the cafe as much as I would like to be. Don't be a stranger. Side note: I do not rate writing. This is eye-op.. more..

Writing
Torrent Torrent

A Poem by Hayley


Stargazers Stargazers

A Poem by Hayley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse


Sssnake Sssnake

A Poem by Muse


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse