To Memory

To Memory

A Poem by Hayley

I. 


Like the moon dipped

And waned 

Her marble-heavy sails,


The sailors dismantled her

With their eyes

Like a slice of cake.


They longed to sink their teeth into

A nape of a neck so sweet;

“Little pearls,” they said,

“Atop her sails and sheets.”


She rocked in her harbor

Softly on a pale halo

By the thirsty sea,


Softly 

She fell,

Softly


As submission for the sailors

Who truly commanded

The tide. 





II.


I’m dreaming again. 

It’s god damned freezing out here, one of those stiff spring mornings where everything is frosted over- rooftops, buds on the weeping cherry trees, the neighbor’s cat- but the air feels a little flimsy, a little loose, like crystals in wedding cake frosting. I pull my thin sweater closer around my bare shoulders, like that could shut out the cold. It’s the color of soft oatmeal, and that makes me think of Ma. She loved to sprinkle cinnamon and raisins in her oatmeal while chatting with me over Columbian coffee, still in her slippers with the worn holes in the bottom and the flannel robe with the bacon grease stains. She would lightly trace the outline of her cream-colored mug while savoring the smooth taste and richness of the Columbian coffee beans she ground every morning. I would notice how the crows feet gingerly crept in upon her honey-comb irises, like the ancient crochet patterns in the doilies on our dining room table that had belonged to Nana, and wonder why a barrier as vested as muscle and intricate as lace existed between us at all. That was what she was, though, fragmenting muscle and lace. I remember thinking she was beautiful.

His brown eyes are chasing mine, but there is no breeze to catch them. I stand next to him, limitless and unyielding; my entire body is constrained against him, and even here, my bones rattle. He looks all sallow skin and protruding bone, and I wonder if I really think it has come to this: debilitated and delicate. I am sickeningly drawn to the jagged curvature of his jaw, like a thorny stem of a rose broken off carelessly and twisted. 

“Somewhere I can love you,” he murmurs. The atmosphere is static, raised on end, and staggered. I hope to God the pain does not reflect in my expression. I stand there shaking and he is still searching, poised and calm as if at any moment, he will dig his fingernails into my heart; I don’t want to see the subtlety of the sacrifice engraved into the lightless brown depths of his eyes, like a fading spoon in a bowl of warm oatmeal.



The spacious moon in the distance is orange and thinly hanging. 









© 2012 Hayley


Author's Note

Hayley
A little something different from me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A powerful poem. I had to read a second time. Memories will dance in our heads. Visions of what was and what could of been are the question that haunt our dreams and life. I like the feel and the structure of this poem. Thank you for your always outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Dominant

Posted 11 Years Ago


Honestly, I felt like you were more focused on your diction than any message. You used adjectives at every possible place and I could tell you were trying to write 'impressively' rather than 'impactfully', or in other words, write in a way that makes the writing pretty than something that will make the reader think about it for the rest of the day. I'm also not sure why you decided to make the second half of the poem prose rather than an actual poem. I can't figure out any correlation between the two in meaning anyway.

Don't get me wrong- your writing is very nice, but in order to be really good, you have to leave something behind with the reader. It could be a thought, an idea, image, feeling, or anything that leaves a lasting impression. I'm struggling with this too. I think every beginning writer does.

I hope this review helps!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love this Hayley , beyond words , pure emotion in the embrace of language .

Posted 11 Years Ago


definitely different and wonderfully so.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It 'tis time to come back Haley. (&Meg)

Posted 11 Years Ago


very nice. excellent piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Every word is immaculate, by the climax I was totally lost!

calm as if at any moment, he will dig his fingernails into my heart; I don’t want to see the subtlety of the sacrifice engraved into the lightless brown depths of his eyes, like a fading spoon in a bowl of warm oatmeal.

You're such a good writer, you're posts just get better and better. What a painful, beautiful, impressive read! Exploring styles suits you well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I came back to breathe a bit...

Posted 11 Years Ago


You write with such an infused magic, pulling the reader into a moment with the first line... Your juxtaposed styles create a dreamish quality to the work that made me think of music playing soft in the background of the story. Brilliant, bittersweet, sensual piece!

Posted 11 Years Ago


fantastic imagery.... fantastic poem


Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1370 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 20, 2012
Last Updated on April 21, 2012

Author

Hayley
Hayley

OH



About
I'm a 21-year-old undergraduate college student majoring in business. I'm not on the cafe as much as I would like to be. Don't be a stranger. Side note: I do not rate writing. This is eye-op.. more..

Writing
Torrent Torrent

A Poem by Hayley


Stargazers Stargazers

A Poem by Hayley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


White White

A Poem by Hayley