Chapter 12: A Silent Plea

Chapter 12: A Silent Plea

A Chapter by Sairek Ceareste

Previous Version
This is a previous version of Chapter 12: A Silent Plea.



 

 

 

 

“Up ahead, I think I see it!”

 

“About time… My feet are killing me.”

 

 

Just as Cyial had predicted, they managed to get to the Inn at around midnight. Although they couldn’t run, Sairek suggested that they walk as fast as they could when night had been falling to minimize the time they were exposing themselves. The effort paid off, as it was near Midnight when they arrived at the wooden building off to the side of the road.

 

“After you, Prince!” Nayleen said jokingly, waving her hand at the door to motion him forwards. Sairek chuckled a little, knowing this was just a joke by her. “I would just the place to be closed. But being the Prince, I don’t think that matters to me. With my title, we’ll probably get the beds for free.”

 

“You’re kidding, right?” Nayleen scoffed. “You just get everything for free? And people offer it to you?”

 

“Watch, you will see why I hate my title at times with the way people interact with me.” Sairek spoke, before he lifted his staff, tapping on the door three times. The knocks with his staff were slow, but loud. They somehow seemed to produce a sound that expressed authority in them. Sairek waited about 30 seconds before giving out another set of 3 knocks. These ones were slightly louder, trying to grab attention now in case nobody at the door was nearby.

 

This time the door was answered almost instantly. A young man at the door opened it, and with surprise, he swung it open, took a step back instantly recognizing Sairek, who stood there in his formal stance. The man bowed down, as if on instinct.

 

“M-Master Apprentice, Sairek! I had no idea…!” The man said, trailing off. Sairek looked at the man who was now at even height with him. “May I get your name?” Sairek asked him. He seemed somewhat confused at the question, but answered almost immediately. “Alwor, master Sairek! My name is Alwor, the owner of this here Inn.”

 

Sairek turned his staff to the side in both hands in his lap, and bowed, just like he had done with Cyial in the cave. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Innkeeper Alwor. I apologize for the sudden appearance at your door.”

 

“I don’t deserve such respect to be bowed to, Master!”

 

Sairek lifted his body up after he waited the proper allotted time, despite what the man said. He looked at Alwor, with a small smile on his face. “All people are equal in my eyes. It does not matter to me if I have the title of Prince and you only the title of Innkeeper. I care for my father’s people, and if they treat me with respect, I shall return it all in kind.” He looked at the man who was still kneeling down to him. He let out a short friendly chuckle “…Which means you can rise and look at me, Mr. Alwor.”

 

The man did as he asked, although it seemed he did so only because he thought it was an order, and to please Sairek. Sairek looked behind him, and motioned with his left hand for the other two to come forwards.

 

“Ah! Acolyte Cyial, it is good to see you again! You have been in excellent company this time I see!”

 

Cyial smile shyly, and nodded. “…I met master Sairek at the cave, with his other friend…”

 

Nayleen blushed slightly and bowed her head a little bit. “Peasant girl Nayleen… That’s me!”

 

Sairek looked back over to Alwor, speaking again. “Nayleen and I were on our way to Lamen when we met Cyial. So we decided we the three of us should go together. But it is night now, and we are in need of a safe place to retire until morning. Do you have any rooms available?

 

Alwor nodded. “Yes, there is one room available, and then there was one reserved for Acoylte Cyial. But Cyial’s room is only one bed.”

 

“Cyial and I can sleep in the same room together. I think we’re small enough as children to be able to share one bed together.” Sairek then frowned a little. “Unfortunately though, there is nothing I can do to return the favour. I didn’t bring any money on me.”

 

“That is fine laddie! Being the prince, and then being accompanied by Acolyte Cyial, there is no way I could refuse you three! Would you like some food as well?”

 

Sairek was thinking for a moment, before Nayleen whispered to his ear quietly enough so only he could hear it. “Sairek, I don’t know about Cyial… But the both of us haven’t even had breakfast today… now that I think about it…”

 

Sairek realized she was actually right. He had been so preoccupied with trying to make it to the Inn, and then there was also the monster troubles they had before meeting Cyial, they hadn’t had a single bite. “Yes, that would be most appreciated Alwor. Thank you for your hospitality.” Sairek didn’t like the fact he was asking for food when he already had food on him, just that Alwor couldn’t see it, but he had to admit that free food was simply free food; and they couldn’t necessarily pass up any help they could get.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sairek closed the bedroom door that lead to their room after they all had eaten together in the same room, Nayleen had went to her own room to retire for the night. It was past midnight now, and Sairek felt much more relaxed now that he had actually eaten and they were in a nice warm place. Sairek moved over to a spacey corner of the room, where he let all the supplies out of the jewel, and let out a sigh of relief at the weight he had been carrying being gone and away with for the rest of the night. Cyial sat on the bed, and watched with interest at the trick Sairek preformed. He didn’t ask anything about it though.

 

Sairek began rummaging through some bags and such for a few minutes, and Cyial still watch. Eventually curious enough, he spoke. “What are you looking for?”

 

“I may not have a change of clothes, but I still brought my sleeping wear.” The prince answered. Cyial then spoke again. “Why didn’t you just change into your sleeping wear when your clothes were wet?” The child asked.

 

“…I am not going to walk along the road in my pyjamas.” Sairek answered in a dull tone. Cyial only let out a small “Oh…” embarrassed he even asked the question. Sairek then sighed a little. “Besides… I’m too shy to change with a girl present…” He soon admitted.

 

“Any girl?” Cyial asked simply. Sairek shook his head. “No, almost any. I am comfortable in front of my maid at the castle named Laure. After mother died, she had been pretty much babysitting me. She still helps me change into my formal clothing or out of it back at the castle, although I am capable of doing it myself, I have to admit these clothes are hard to put on, and take a long time. Having her help takes a lot less time. Laure has seen my body so much, I don’t really care. But Nayleen and I just recently met not even a week ago. I’m quite shy, that in fact, that last night was our first night, and we camped outside. I just slept in my formal clothes. This suit is not very comfortable to sleep in, but I was tired enough to do it anyways as well.”

 

Cyial listened to the prince, and then tilted his head some. “What about me? You’re not shy to change in front of me?”

 

“You’re a boy and I’m a boy. It’s not like anything you see will be news; I am going to strip myself here.”

 

“Sorry… Just nobody really trusts me…”

 

Sairek managed to find his sleeping wear, and pulled them out of the bag, but he slowly stood up and turned to Cyial. His eyes blinked in curiosity. “…Why? You seem like a nice person to me. You helped me with my back before you even knew I was prince.”

 

“I guess it’s because I look very weird to other people… I would have thought Nayleen and you would think the same way… I believed that at first when Nayleen was shouting at me when I entered the cave. That’s why I sleep in a different room then everyone else in the Monastery. Only the Father Abbot and Alwor here have not cared about how odd I look. Everyone else says I look weird and avoids me… or worse.”

 

Sairek frowned at this. He turned himself around, full attention to Cyial now. “’Looking ‘normal’ and looking ‘weird’… that is just but one selfish premonition that people have. I do not share that philosophy. I do not believe that you look ‘weird’, Cyial. I simply believe that you look different. Besides, after reading probably a thousand or more books, I already know it is foolish to judge a one by nothing more but its cover. That philosophy directed from ‘book’ to ‘person’ is quite honestly no different and fits accurately.”

 

A faint smile formed on Cyial’s face as he listened to Sairek’s words.

 

“Um… Sairek…?”

 

“Yes?”

 

Cyial was silent for a moment, but then he shook his head. “No… Nevermind… I’m sorry, but I can’t… yet…”

 

Sairek frowned at Cyial; not because it seemed that the other child didn’t trust him, but rather he was struggling with himself. Sairek did not press the topic on. The other child on the bed looked down at the floor as if ashamed he was hiding something from Sairek. “…I will tell you when we reach Lamen. Nayleen too will probably know too. Someone will probably point it out… although I hope that isn’t the case. I want to explain it to you two at the Monastery, if possible…”

 

“…You are afraid that the secret you are hiding from us will instantly change my opinion about you, and possibly Nayleen’s as well… right?”

 

Cyial slowly nodded on the bed. He clutched the book to his chest tighter. Sairek believed it must have been rather hard for him to admit that, even with his strange eyes he could see it.

 

“It would be foolish of me to say that there is no way that won’t happen; because I obviously don’t know what you are hiding. However, I do know this much, Cyial: You helped Nayleen and I in the cave for no particular reason other then the fact you wanted to help us. The very least I could do is tot be your friend until we reach Lamen…

 

…And… aside from all of that. No matter what your secret may be, whether it is something terrible you have done in the past, or something you may believe you will do in the future, know that I will at least keep a hold of that action in my heart. Not as the Prince of this kingdom, but simply as who I am: Sairek. To me, even if you are a bad person, deep down inside, you are a good-hearted individual. Nobody else decides who you wish to be; only you make that choice. If you are afraid of who you are, then the world you live in will never start to change. You already have people who want nothing more but to see you succeed, even if that number may seem small.”

 

Cyial was still looking down at the floor, his eyes looked extremely soft and wet. Sairek moved over to him, and patted the top of his head in a caring way; a soft smile was on his lips.

 

“While I said I cannot be certain, I want to believe… and I do believe that you are a good person Cyial, no matter who you are. I won’t ask until you are ready to tell us.”

 

Sairek placed his nightwear on the bed, as he turned towards the door and walked to it. He placed his hand on the doorknob and then looked back to Cyial who was still staring at the floor. “I’ll give you a while to calm down. I’ll be talking to Nayleen. Come get me when you’re ready to go to sleep, okay?”

 

Cyial looked slowly at Sairek and gave a slow nod, before looking back at the floor. Sairek mentally sighed, opening the door, and gently closing it behind him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“…I feel so bad for him…” Sairek whispered quietly, as he leaned against a wall in Nayleen’s room, as she sat on her own bed for the night. “…I don’t think I have ever seen a person this damaged before… I think… he feels even worse then I did when mother died…”

 

“…It can’t be over something trivial then just looks, can it? I mean, that’s nothing but bullying… Whatever his secret is… well, that has to be the root of the cause. Even after what you had said to him, he still is refusing to open up… Maybe it may be best for us to just not know?”

 

Nayleen sighed and flopped back on the bed. “He seems like such a sweet little kid. It makes me wanna punch someone to know that he is being mistreated by others in Lamen! I’m not gonna leave his side when we get there y’know! I’ll spit on anyone who insults him!”

 

Sairek gave a faint smile, as he crossed his arms over his torso and closed his eyes. “To be honest... I kind of want to keep him with us…”

 

“Are you sure that’s a good idea, Sairek? This is our mission; not his.”

 

“I know that… That’s why I am unsure… But I will be honest… I want to protect him… I don’t know what his secret is yet, but I think it is something that he alone is scared of, or that others may be scared of. If he is like this now, then I fear that his mental state is not going to be able to take much more strain if this keeps up. He needs to be away from his current atmosphere. Away from the people who are feeding his fear. He needs time to think and choose for himself… And the only way for him to do that is to search for himself…”

 

Sairek opened his eyes halfway as he let out a sigh of his own. “And the fact he is from the Monastery means that we can take him since we are going to Yggdrasil… Even if the Monastery refuses, my commands overrule any of theirs. Looking after Yggdrasil is their job; and if I say there may be something amiss, then they have no choice but to take my word for it, even if I am wrong… but, I will only do that if Cyial wishes to come with us.”

 

“What do you think he wants?”

 

“I don’t know… If I was to take a guess, I would maybe say acceptance… Or maybe, after what he has seemed to have gone through, maybe he just wishes he could be ‘normal’ like everyone else?”

 

“Yeah, I would take that guess too. I guess we will have to see how Lamen goes tomorrow night…”

 

 

Sairek and Nayleen fell silent for a few moments, before a soft slow knock on the door came. Sairek pushed himself off of the wall. “That must be him… I will see you in the morning, Nayleen.”

 

“Alright,” she said with a nod.

 

Sairek moved over to the door, opening it. Like he had guessed, Cyial was standing at the door, although looking at his feet as he was tightly holding the dark brown book with both hands to his chest. Sairek mentally frowned that he still looked extremely depressed.

 

“Are you ready?”

 

Cyial let out a small slow nod. Sairek glanced back at Nayleen who was watching, before walking out the door with the other boy, and closing it behind him gently. Cyial lead them back to the room.

 

When they got in, Sairek began to change into his sleepwear. Once again, Cyial sat on the bed, watching Sairek, as the child first removed his gloves, then hood, which he had to pull a bit as it actually barely the correct size for his head. Sairek then untied his cape; he put his clothes on top of their supplies; rather then leaving them on the floor. Next was his boots, then the white tabard. Finally, Sairek’s arms disappeared into his blue shirt, as he squirmed a bit, struggling to dip his head inside of the shirt so he could pull it over him. He shifted around a bit, nearly knocking himself over on the bed. He let out an exasperated sigh.

 

“See, this is why I didn’t want Nayleen to see… I can’t get this bloody shirt off or on properly! She would be making fun of me for days!”

 

He was pleased to hear a slight childish giggle coming from Cyial. Sairek pulled and tugged, and eventually his head sank inside the shirt, and the rest was simple as he pulled it off. His hair was slightly ruffled from the battle, and his hands quickly went up to comb it back into place.

 

“You look quite strong.”

 

Sairek blushed at the sudden compliment. “The suit is really heavy, since it also doubles as battle armor… and I do practice swinging my staff a lot since I find it to be more effective then any of my spells… I guess you could say with carrying all the weight around, I get a good work out everyday?”

 

Sairek shivered slightly at the air touching his cold skin; it wasn’t something he was really used to. He quickly slipped off his pants now, leaving him only in his undergarments temporarily, as he then slipped the newer pair from his sleepwear on. It was but a simple white, but smooth silky cloth. The design was rather bland on it really; for there was nothing that was attractive on the clothing that let it stand out as far as rich cloth could go. What it lacked in design, it did make up in comfort though. The shirt, which thankfully for Sairek he was able to wear and put on without much of a fight since it was able to be buttoned up. Like his blue shirt, it was long-sleeved as well.

 

Cyial scooted himself over to the other side of the bed, while a lit candle in the room was the source of light, Sairek looked at the candle where he stood, and a small smile formed on his face.

 

“Look at how hopeless I am with magic without my staff. I won’t be able to blow out that candle with magic.”

 

Doing his best he could, Sairek tried to concentrate the Ethereal energy he could find in the room to him. He almost felt nothing; but not because of the lack of it in the room, but simply because he was so inexperienced at it without his staff. Sairek knew the energy he did manage to scrape up was insufficient, but he let it go anyways as he spoke out ‘Wuaie,’ Sairek felt the energy launch from his hands, and then only let out a snicker as the candle’s flame just danced around, mocking him at the terrible attempt. The prince walked up to the candle, and pinched the flame out. He nearly jumped when he turned back to the bed and saw Cyial’s eyes glowing as if the light had been on. He tried to hide the surprise but it must have shown on his face. The child one the bed closed his eyes and spoke.

 

“I’m sorry. My eyes must have surprised you. The glow dies down when I get sleepy, or if I have been in the dark for a good while.”

 

Sairek slowly moved his way over to the bed, sliding himself under the covers along with Cyrial once he took off his own shoes, gloves and placed the book on a nearby table beside the bed. Sairek felt instant relief lying down on the mattress of the bed; it felt good to sleep in one again even though he only had been off of one for one night.

 

Sairek then blinked in confusion as he glanced over to Cyial, speaking. “You sleep with your acolyte robes on?”

 

“Sometimes I don’t, if I am alone. Sometimes I do either way. It depends on how cold I am feeling.”

 

“I can understand. I slept with my formal clothes on, after all.”

 

Cyial turned himself around in the bed to look at the prince. He was quiet for a moment, before he let out a quiet “…Goodnight, Sairek…”

 

The prince let out a small smile, and gave a short nod. The other child closed his red glowing eyes, which soon prompted Sairek to close his own, as he felt weariness take over him. He was asleep only moments later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When morning had arrived, the three of them had eaten a larger then normal breakfast, except for Cyial, whom his breakfast had been smaller. Sairek and Nayleen ate more then usual, due to the fact they only had one meal that entire day and that was at the very end. Sairek felt a little satiated, eating more then his stomach wished, but Nayleen told him he should eat a little bit more anyways, since it was his metabolism and stomach acids simply being slow making him seem less hungry then he really was.

 

The three of them headed out in the late morning; having had slept a little extra due to the fact they walked extra distance during the night. Cyial seemed to be in a much more positive mood then he had been during the night. He lead the way, at one point, leading them off the path temporarily for a shortcut he often took, which cut past a mountain. Cyial estimated the time saved was maybe about an hour or so depending on the walking pace.

 

Sairek was extremely pleased, that despite all of the interruptions they had had for the past two days, that by evening, Lamen’s walls were in view and just beyond a hill. The journey from the inn had been, thankfully, uneventful.

 

When they neared Lamen’s walls, Cyial’s mood seemed to have change back a little bit more to what he was at the Inn.

 

 

 

“Sairek, you should lead on ahead now.” Cyial suddenly offered, and the three of them slowed to a stop. Sairek looked at the boy curiously. “Why?”

 

“…Sometimes I have a hard time getting back into the city…”

 

Nayleen and Sairek exchanged glances. Sairek however did not question it any further, like he had promised the night before. He gave a nod to Cyial, and began walking again, leading the way.

 

The three of them walked through a large door, which was a hollowed area inside the walls, where inspections took place to gain entry to the city. There were guards at the other end, which held another large door which was the entrance to the city. Sairek lead first, with Cyial behind Sairek and Nayleen behind Cyial. Sairek heard Cyial let out a small gasp, and then mouth an “Oh no… it’s those two…” under his breath. He frowned at this, but only for a moment.

 

Sairek approached the two guards that stood at the door, until one of them said “halt!” All three of them stopped in place. Sairek stood in his formal stance, wearing no expression on his face. After a brief pause both of their eyes widened.

 

“P-Prince Sairek?” One of them stuttered out in shock. Then they looked back at Cyial, then back to Sairek again.

 

“I trust that everything is in order?” The child asked the both of them. They saluted in unison.


"Yes Master Apprentice!”

 

“…That’s not what I have heard.”

 

They both hesitated for a second, looking at each other. “…I… don’t understand master… what is the problem?” One of them asked.

 

 

Sairek’s eyes gave a stern look. He tensed his staff tighter. “I’ve been getting word that Cyial here, has been having problems with getting into the city at certain points. I may not visit Lamen often, in fact, this is my first time in a few years. However, under the constitutional rights of the Kingdom, a citizen of a city will, and can enter the city that they are a resident in. It is my understanding that Cyial is an acolyte if the Monastery in Lamen, and that deduces him as a citizen of the town. You have no right to deny him access now, or any other time in the future unless he removes himself from being a citizen of Lamen on his own accord.”

 

Sairek lowered his head slightly to look dead-straight at the two at the door who was shrinking back slightly from the child's authority. “If I hear of anymore dishonest acts you two have been performing, especially this one, which is a high offense to be denying a citizen access to their own home, I will be forced to withdraw you from your jobs, no questions asked. Have I made myself clear?”

 

 

One of the soldiers slowly nodded, the other one gritted his teeth, balled his hands into fists, and then hollered out “No, I do not understand!”

 

“What?” Sairek thought to himself, turning his body to face the soldier, who then pointed a finger at Cyial, who backed behind Sairek as he did so. The prince felt the boy grab onto the cloth of his shirt with one hand in an act of fear.


“How can you even take sides with that ‘thing’! He must have performed some magic act on you!”

 

“Are you questioning my decisions soldier?” Sairek replied to the man hotly. “I assure you, this is no trick. As far as I see it, Cyial has done his best to perform his duties to the city and kingdom, without attempting to bring dishonor to his title with petty childish tricks and slander. Have you no shame to harass a child simply because he may look or be different then you or I?”

 

“My job is to not allow any monsters into the city, and that includes him!”

 

“Monster?” Sairek questioned, glancing back at Cyial, who by now had his eyes closed. The soldier continued to spout as Sairek looked at the acolyte.

 

“He hides his tail, to try and fool himself to thinking he is one of us! He is a Incubus master! A demon! He must be simply seducing you in some way!”

 

Sairek watched as Cyial shifted slightly where he stood. His hand left Sairek’s shirt now to grip the book with both hands tightly to his chest. “…I… wanted to tell you when we were inside Lamen… inside the monastery…” Cyial spoke softly. His eyes were still closed, but by now, tears were beginning to stream down his cheeks.

 

 

 

“…Incubus... he is a demon, huh…? A demon that is an acolyte…?”

 

“I cannot imagine how hard this must be for him… As long as people treat him like this, there is no way he will ever be happy with what he is… The way people are attacking him, they are attacking with what and who he is... How can you be happy when you are stereotyped to be the total opposite of what you feel is right on the inside…?”

 

 

Sairek turned away from Cyial, as he looked back at the soldier. Sairek’s mouth felt dry. Dry with anger. He gripped his staff tightly. He spoke in a low, threatening tone.

 

“…And tell me… What has Cyial ever done to anyone…? Do you think a demon that meant any harm would be crying right now?”

 

Sairek’s voice raised into a near shout, barely unable to contain his anger. “How sad is it, that you have damaged this child’s self confidence so badly, he is afraid of who he is?! We humans happen to murder each other, to fight each other, to cause each other harm. Do we not? But we can allow each other of good nature into the city. Tell me how this any different for a monster of good nature? You deny him as a good-hearted being just because he is not a human? Cyial has done nothing to cause me harm, and I am more then sure he has not caused anyone else in Lamen harm as well. I met Cyial on my way here to Lamen, at one point I had gained myself an injury. Cyial helped cure me of my injury, not even because I was the prince, but as a simple act of kindness!”

 

Sairek took a few deep breaths to calm himself down. He stepped back, turning to Cyial, as his left hand took the other boy’s left hand gently. Cyial opened his eyes, which were filled with water as he looked at Sairek, in an almost dazed way. Sairek turned back to the guard, anger still hot in his eyes.

 

“You disgusting wretch… Nobody can decide what they are at birth, but we can decide who we are…” Sairek muttered angrily at the guard, who was stunned at the Prince’s words. “You are lucky I don’t strip you of your position now. I only still myself from that action for the fact you probably have a family to feed. Know I do it for their sake, not yours.

 

Sairek looked at Nayleen, who stood a bit back, and motioned her to follow him with a tilt of his head. She slowly walked forwards with him, as Sairek gave a gentle pull with his hand to signal Cyial they were moving. Sairek walked with Cyial hand to hand while Nayleen followed close behind. The prince pushed the door open. He stopped when he heard the soldier mutter ‘foolish prince’ to himself.

 

Sairek turned around, and a hint of worry showed in the soldier’s eyes noticing Sairek heard him.

 

“Is it foolish? I don’t know. If you are so much object my opinion however, you can feel free to leave the kingdom. I will be king one day, sooner or later, and my opinion will never change. My opinion is that all living beings are equal to each other, whether monster, human or just a mere animal. If you truly believe my vision on that philosophy is foolish…? I really don’t give a s**t what you think anymore. I personally tire with your ostentatious arguments. I have made my point clear, and you know it. Anything you say beyond this point is nothing but cognitive dissonance on your part. I am not going to waste my time arguing with a grown man who wishes to defend his actions that have the maturity of a spoiled brat.”

 

Sairek turned around, and continued his walk, with Nayleen following close behind him. The doors shut and Sairek let out a shaky breath, as they walked further away from the wall. Sairek’s grip on Cyial’s hand degraded away until the boy eventually pulled away on his own accord. He used his left hand to wipe his eyes using the sleeve of his acolyte robe, as he sniffed a couple of times. “I’m… I’m sorry Sairek… I didn’t mean to get you… involved into this…” The child apologized, before giving another sniff with his nose.

 

Sairek looked at Cyial, and shook his head slowly. “No, do not apologize to me Cyial. It is my job and duty as a prince, that much is true... but I did it for not just for my 'duty'... I did it because that is what I truly, and strongly believe. Nobody should get away with acts like this. You are a citizen to my father’s kingdom, Cyial. That is a  fact, and nobody’s opinion will change that.

 

Sairek turned his body fully now towards the boy who was still wiping his eyes with his robes. “You were worried that we wouldn’t like you because you were a Incubus, right?”

 

Cyial gave a small slow nod, along with another sniff of his nose. “…I wear my acolyte robes… to hide my tail. The situation is getting bad enough that I fear I may be kicked out of town… Father Abbot doesn’t want that… he’s been trying to protect me… Nobody wants a demon inside of the Monastery after all… they think of it as an insult…”

 

Sairek frowned at the child, before he glanced over to Nayleen as she suddenly spoke.

 

“Well I don’t care what other people think!” She soon announced, strolling over to Cyial. “I for one care for who you are, not what you are Cyial. And I think you are a pretty cool and kind person! That is what matters the most.” As she spoke, she made a fist and placed it on her chest. “Like Sairek said to that jerk earlier; nobody else’s opinions matter! You do what you want to do, whether you are a demon or not. Forget what others think of you! Show that you are determined to live along with the rest of them and be their friends, and if they still want to be like that? Then forget them! They are not people who are worth being friends with!”

 

Sairek smiled a little bit at Nayleen’s words. She hadn’t said anything for a while, and was glad that she too accepted the acolyte for who he was. Cyial slowly nodded, before breaking out into quiet sobs. Sairek stepped closer to the boy, and soon wrapped his arms in a sympathetic hug, where Cyial cried into his shoulder. Sairek stayed like this for a few moments, giving time for Cyial to calm down, before the acolyte slowly pulled himself away.

 

“Let’s get you back to the Monestary, huh?”

 

“O…Okay…” Cyial responded slowly, as Sairek took his free hand, and began walking the young acolyte in hand towards the Monestary. Nayleen followed Sairek on his other side.

 

 

Sairek soon remembered Laure’s words she had said to him a few days ago.

 

“Remember Sairek. You may be the prince, but you are still a child. While I know you envy the other children who are out, playing freely, and you feel trapped within the walls of riches you and your father own, just remember that it is too early for you to act like an adult. You only get to be a child only once in this life and it is truly just a short time that you will be able to experience this. If you’re too curious to satisfy your questions instead of live, then you will miss that opportunity until your next cycle of life.”

 

 

 

Sairek mentally sighed at the fault. “’Too early to be an adult’… but I know how to be one… If I were to be a child, would it be selfish on my part when there are people like Cyial I need to comfort? Is it right to ignore them for myself? …Or is it right to ignore myself, and help them instead?... Perhaps, this is the kind of choices kings must make… Selfishness, or selflessness.

 

…Laure is right… I am growing up too fast for my own good…”



© 2011 Sairek Ceareste


Author's Note

Sairek Ceareste
Personally, I think this is my favorite chapter so far. It is quite a deep one.


Edit: Once again I get the roles of male and female genders mixed up... I am so terrible at this. .__.;



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on October 16, 2011
Last Updated on October 16, 2011
Tags: The Ethereal Elixer Fantasy Adve