A Story, It's True

A Story, It's True

A Story by Helen
"

If you look close enough the magic of the Universe is everywhere. This is a story about it working through a stranger on a bus.

"


The rucksack was light, containing an ultra-lite one man (one woman) tent, a sleeping bag, few toiletries and a single change of clothes. As usual, it was not me that had made this decision. I’d had depression for a good nine months, so decisions were pretty much beyond me. But here I was, setting off from Luton on foot and wondering if I could really make it to Kings Lynn in five days. 


It was the Universe that had decided this for me. Guided me into it, pushed me, shoved me and just wouldn’t let me be until I looked at the map and noted the name of the town that I would try to walk to. I knew that it wasn’t my decision because it wasn’t even a sensible time of year to plan a camping trip. It was early spring and the chance of frost was high. 


No, it wasn’t my decision, but the walk and the thought of the challenge felt good and the exertion of walking up the hill brought relief from the physical sensations that come with depression. I thought about those feelings, how relentless they had been and how long they had lasted. My therapist’s voice echoed in my head, “they are only feelings and everyone has them”. I’d questioned that when she had said it, because there are feelings and then there are feelings; not everyone falls into the deep dark pit of depression because of them. 


The sun was shining as I headed over the hill. Luton sits at one end of the Chilterns,  chalky downs stretching from Bedfordshire, across four counties, to the other end in Oxfordshire. This part of the Chilterns has criss-crossed paths, famously trodden by John Bunyan, but likely much older than that. Walking them made me feel connected to the earth and to the ancient ones.


Seems risky for a lone woman to take off on her own for a five day walk. Not something I would have done when I was younger, having had the crime of being alone in a dark alley drummed into my female consciousness. My heart raced as I checked in to the first campsite. It wasn’t so much that I was afraid because the only other people there were men, it was more that I was afraid of the judgement that my harsh inner voice pointed out “what will they think, crazy menopausal woman. Red face sticking out like a sore thumb?”. 


Despite the anxiety, I pitched my tent and prepared for bed. Essential night-time attire included eye shade, ear plugs and a woolly hat that I pulled down over my nose which had been feeling decidedly cold. Outside, the men were fishing and drinking, but I was soon oblivious, trussed up as I was in my three-season sleeping bag, plugs inserted firmly in my ears to seal out their chat. It was early when I awoke, relieved that my fellow campers were still sleeping as I packed up and headed off again.


The second day’s walking was different. For one, my feet were blistering and walking not quite so enjoyable. Despite this, I relaxed into the walk, delighting in turning to see how far I had come. I had reached Cambridgeshire and the flat county stretched in front and behind. The day was bright and clear and I kept Sharpenhoe Clappers in my vision as a progress marker.


Mind clearing as I walked, making room for thoughts to come and go, and eventually to work their way to wherever they needed to go. Some turned into poems, something that had been happening since I had started therapy in October. As the thoughts worked their way out, the crucial ones stopped to form a verse, perfectly expressing and processing the deep rooted trauma within. 


As I set up camp the second night, I had to face facts. Determination and poetic musing had kept me going that day, but I was not going to be able to walk much more given the blistered state of my feet. With regret, I made the decision that the next leg would have to be by train. I put this plan into action with a one-way ticket to Littleport.


The plan paid off and my feet recovered sufficiently to walk again on day four. I had a choice, I could walk half a mile to the village (and half a mile back) to buy breakfast or I could head straight off, finding a shop on the way. I opted for the latter to avoid the extra mile. Being a townie, I had not anticipated just how rural Cambridgeshire would be. I had to walk for thirteen miles before I found somewhere to buy food. Lesson learned - it is always worth going the extra mile! 


Final day took me to Norfolk and to Downham Market where I got another train to Kings Lynn. Once there I just sat in cafes. It didn’t matter which, as long as they had a charging point for my mobile phone. I sat in cafes and wrote. Wrote my thoughts. Wrote poems about my thoughts. Cried, thought some more and wrote poems about that too. The poems were sad, some funny, some incredibly insightful. I revelled in the time I had to indulge myself and the inner space I had created during my five day walk.


I had one day left before catching the train home and decided to make the most of it with a seaside trip. Feeling nourished by my healing time, I climbed the stairs of the double-decker bus, excitedly claiming the front window seat.


The journey lasted an hour and in this mundane and humble setting, the Universe’s plan finally came to fruition. It came in the form of an old woman who sat in the seat opposite me. At first I was annoyed, since I had been enjoying my own company too much. She started to talk and it was clear that she had mild dementia. Pleasant enough, she chatted away, with incoherent ramblings. Even before we set off, I realised that she had already told me at least three times that her mum had died when she was two. She repeated this refrain for the whole of the journey, each time countering it with “Oh no, it wasn't that bad,” or “You just get on with it, don't you?” Each repeated like the refrain of a stuck record that belied her protestations that all was okay.


As she spoke, it struck me that the guilt I had been feeling about disrupting my family system, and the guilt that I felt by not being “over it” yet were entirely misplaced. My mum had not died when I was two, but she had left my childhood home (left me) when I was eight. I identified with the old woman. I too know what it is to be un-mothered, unloved. And now I knew that it wasn’t that I was defective, I just hadn’t properly processed my pain because I didn't want to rock the boat or be seen as someone who couldn't cope.

And so the chance meeting with the old woman on the bus that day changed me, and the reason I think the Universe had a hand in it is because everything fell so very neatly into place, in a way that poetry or therapy or years of recovery had not. It may not have been exactly this day, but it was certainly very soon afterwards. The fog began to clear and my year long depression lifted.



© 2021 Helen


Author's Note

Helen
Margie, I know it's too long, but I had to practice with a story I knew (i.e. one about me) and this is how long it is! I will do better in future.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Having had a childhood of rampant abuse myself, I'm always interested in & sympathetic toward the many writers who pour out their pain on these Cafe pages. But most of these pieces are written for the benefit of the writer mostly, these are outpourings that lead to healing or whatever. This story of yours, here, is the first time in 6 years I've seen a writer do a story with significant amounts of psycho-babble about healing, yet this theme does not hijack the story at all, even when the whole moral of the story is based upon this progression! This story is simply entertaining as an everyday story about real life, so authentic, lively interesting details, a little bit of attitude here & there to keep it fresh & punchy. But the healing stuff is just an afterthought. It's just a small part of who this narrator is . . . whereas so many other healing pieces are written as if the damage is the narrator's identity. I love that this narrator (presumably you) does not identify herself as a sufferer or a broken person or an endurer of pain. This feels like a well-balanced person with a ton of different interests & healing is just a small part of that puzzle. That's what makes this story so good to me. I hate seeing people identify themselves with whatever their afflictions might be. Hardly anybody realizes I'm in a wheelchair becuz I decided not to wear that identity around. This story represents the end of long healing journey when we can mention the s**t & it doesn't sound or look or smell like s**t when we do. You make this sound very balanced & integrated (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


You did it great this time itself! Life is wonderful. Sometimes it takes a moment to realize something we didn't for a lifetime perhaps by something heard or seen or felt. Everything gets clear in a flash and its as if a light is switched on in a dark room. I loved taking this insightful trip with you.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Very interesting. Quite a good read and well worth more writing. It's strange how we are always analysing our innermost thoughts.

Posted 3 Years Ago


This was riveting and very pulling in. I like the adventure, the honesty of feelings, the sorting out of life and the universe, the unlocking of the stranger's comments and how they relate to the author. Beautiful scene-setting throughout and going the extra mile as a lesson learned. You are a good writer.

Posted 3 Years Ago


"This part of the Chilterns has criss-crossed paths, famously trodden by John Bunyan, but likely much older than that."

Posted 3 Years Ago


" I thought about those feelings, how relentless they had been and how long they had lasted. My therapist’s voice echoed in my head,"

Posted 3 Years Ago


Helen

3 Years Ago

Thank you Sami. In equal measure you and Margie are both inspiring me at the moment and I'm grateful.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! You are so welcome. Good to know.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 31, 2021
Last Updated on February 1, 2021

Author

Helen
Helen

Luton, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom



About
When I joined WritersCafe, I originally posted the poems I had written as part of my personal healing journey - childhood trauma to alcoholism to recovery. I wasn't sure if my writing would be of inte.. more..

Writing
Lost Souls Lost Souls

A Poem by Helen


Life and Soul Life and Soul

A Poem by Helen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Quietude Quietude

A Poem by AJNJ