New York  Airport

New York Airport

A Story by Andre Peterson

It was 8:12. I've been working since 12pm and yet another group was about to board a plane heading for Syracuse. 
The clouds have been getting darker over the last hour and I was having my doubts that these people would actually be able to get into the air. 
I've been doing this twenty six years, working the desk, helping people board their flight and sending them to where ever they are heading. In my experience I'll get the word of the first delay. Soon will follow a few more and then the inevitable cancelation. Having a feeling that this will take place within the next few minutes I get a head of the game. I know people will be upset. They will curse at me even though I have no control over the weather or having the final say if the flight gets canceled. So I have a little trick that I do. I look around the gate at who already seems to be in a foul mood. It seems as if everyone is okay except for one man. He is somewhere between tears and tearing someone apart. Interesting. I call over Dennis to cover the front desk as I focus in on this man. I walk over to him and ask him if everything is alright. I explain that I notice that he seems upset over something. The man gives me a glare and quickly looks away before confessing what's bothering him. 
"I received a call from the university hospital of Syracuse that my daughter is badly hurt." As he starts to explain he gets emotional. "They don't know what has happened and I can't get any information from them, they said one of her friends found her not far from a of a party badly hurt and called an ambulance." The man broke down in front of me. "She's a freshman and never been on her own. I was worried about her because I am a single father and was worried that something like this would happen." I took a quick look over towards the desk as I saw Dennis on the phone giving me one of those concerning looks. "Hey man I say it'll be alright. What's your name?" "the man took a deep breath trying to get a hold of himself. "Josh." " Alright josh we'll find a way to get you there to your girl." I heard the overhead phone cut on. I knew what was going to come next. "Ladies and gentlemen, Due to inclement weather your flight has been delayed by thirty minutes. We would like to ask for your patience. Thank you" it was the first blow.
I heard the disgruntled muttering around me. People were starting to get restless. A few travelers went up to the desk trying to find out what was going on. I overheard Dennis explain to a group of people that it was out of his control and he would keep them updated. I turned my attention back to Josh. "You need anything Josh? Any water?" Josh look up at me and gave me a half smile. " Yes please." I nodded and said that I would return shortly and headed back towards the desk.
"What's up with that guy?" Dennis asked. "His daughter is seriously hurt. Needs to make the flight to see her." Dennis gave out a half chuckle. " I'm not sure if he or anyone is going to make their flight. Dennis paused to take a look other his shoulder. "It's getting nasty out there." I took a look out the window myself and saw that the clouds were way darker than they were a few minutes ago. " Well lets hope it doesn't come to that."
I found a unopened bottle of water that I was saving for myself and started to head back to where Josh was sitting. Josh was on the phone and was intensely in conversation with someone on the other end of the line. I brought the water over to him and gave him some space to handle what ever was going on. I made my way back to the desk and made myself busy, tending to other people.
I finally received the call I was dreading. I told Dennis to deliver the news and I would help him the situation. "This is where the fun begins." said Dennis sarcastically before picking up the phone, " Ladies and gentlemen. Due to the inclement weather your flight has been canceled. 

© 2022 Andre Peterson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on July 21, 2022
Last Updated on July 28, 2022